The Student Room Group

The Hijab and Investment Banking?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Ironuts
Good point. I'll be going to my next interview in a pink floyd tie dye T'shirt then. Thanks for your advice.

lol. In your world i suppose everyone would look, dress and talk the 'same'?
Original post by Gemma :)!
I don't know much about your religion- but if you're considering not wearing it whilst you "establish yourself" then is it really that important that you wear it after that? If it was important, then surely you wouldn't consider not wearing it.

If you don't wear it, and then you suddenly tell them that you have to, they have to readjust whereas if you're just upfront about your religious beliefs, and wear it right from the start, then you'll know whether they approve or not.. and I can't think of any reason why they wouldn't, you're not causing anyone any harm.

Second that.
of all the ridiculous posts that I have seen so far....... this tops my list without a doubt!
Reply 23
Who the hell let so many plebs into this sub-forum? Get out, please.
Reply 24
Original post by WokSz
Who the hell let so many plebs into this sub-forum? Get out, please.

It happens, the minute they see the word 'hijab' or 'islam'.
Reply 25
Original post by searchingshadow
lol. In your world i suppose everyone would look, dress and talk the 'same'?

You laugh, but the reality is that yes, this is what happens. If you want to be 'an individual', IB probably isn't the best career choice... not is any other professional job for that matter

Just look around The City and you'll see precisely what I mean... for example, how many people do you see that are wearing light coloured suits, let alone truly unique or individual clothing? How many people do you hear with Northern accents (they all try to lose them)? How many people do you see with dyed hair, piercings or tattoos?

The way you appear is important, and anyone who says otherwise is a politically correct deluded fool. You're advice to the OP might be good for her sense of self, but you're not doing her career prospects any good. Welcome to the real world.
Reply 26
Original post by CGFPS
I'm a little (okay alot) concerned that wearing the hijab (Note; this only covers the hair and neck, not the face or any other parts of the body) might hinder my chances of getting into a BB investment bank in the future as dress in that field is very conservative and limited to certain styles. I know that, yes, I shouldn't go into a company that won't accept me for who I am or who discriminates, but it's hard trying to get a job in the state that we're currently in, and IB (investment banking) is a tough field to get into either way; I'll be competing with very high caliber people. Someone said to me that I should tough it out and be the best I can be, but I've seen lot's of females wearing the headscarf who are more than qualified for the jobs and who have been repeatedly rejected, regardless of whether or not they got a first in maths/economics, and if they did get accepted there was no progress up in the ranks. I really don't want to take a chance because the odds have been stacked against me most of my life...I'm not being self-deprecating, it's just that I don't want to 'take a chance' on my career. Any advice would be appreciated.
Should I not wear it at first, and then as I establish myself within the company after a while (maybe a year or two), go back to wearing a scarf? There are many muslims but they're mostly male and so their religion is not plainly worn on their heads. Honest opinions please, no false hopes.

You'd actually take your hijab off for money? Money speaks.
You should embrace who you are sis.
Besides, there's a slippery slope. You're going to enter with the mind set 'what can I do to maximise my chances?' and since you've opened the door to massacring your principles, anything can happen. Again, money speaks.

You've gotta really think about this.
Original post by Ironuts
You laugh, but the reality is that yes, this is what happens. If you want to be 'an individual', IB probably isn't the best career choice... not is any other professional job for that matter

Just look around The City and you'll see precisely what I mean... for example, how many people do you see that are wearing light coloured suits, let alone truly unique or individual clothing? How many people do you hear with Northern accents (they all try to lose them)? How many people do you see with dyed hair, piercings or tattoos?

The way you appear is important, and anyone who says otherwise is a politically correct deluded fool. You're advice to the OP might be good for her sense of self, but you're not doing her career prospects any good. Welcome to the real world.

Your points are valid, and I agree with most of them. But there’s a slight difference, you can still abide by a dress code and wear a hijab or turban. Allowing you to maintaining your own identity, and that of the environment in which you work. But to say you can't, is a very slippery slope; then what will we focus on next hair styles/hair length/facial hair?
1) there's no point not wearing your headscarf then start wearing it once you get your job as firstly the men who you hide from will have already seen your hair, and secondly you need to stick to the character they hired

2) if you are concerned that its going to get in the way of your career, then you need to prioritize what's more important, by not wearing a hijab it won't mean you don't follow islam, all religions make some sacrifices to fit into western society

3) Just be yourself...with or without the headscarf....just wear what you think would be appropriate, in my totally honest opinion....i would probably leave the hijab at home, but in no way does that mean you're not a muslim
Reply 29
Your points are valid, and I agree with most of them. But there’s a slight difference, you can still abide by a dress code and wear a hijab or turban. Allowing you to maintaining your own identity, and that of the environment in which you work. But to say you can't, is a very slippery slope; then what will we focus on next hair styles/hair length/facial hair?

I'm not saying you cant... I'm just saying that it's in your interest career wise not to. It pays to looks the same as the next person.

Edit: hair styles, hair length, facial hair.... yeah... all of those. Of course. To use an extreme example, I'm quite sure that ceteris paribus, a chap with long dreadlocks and a scruffy beard would be less likely to get hired than someone who lacked those attributes. That applies to less extreme cases too... there is a corporate look and it's ill advised to go against it. As much as I would like to, I won't even dye my hair a natural blonde colour because I realise that it isn't worth the potential hindrance.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Ironuts
I'm not saying you cant... I'm just saying that it's in your interest career wise not to. It pays to looks the same as the next person.

Edit: hair styles, hair length, facial hair.... yeah... all of those. Of course. To use an extreme example, I'm quite sure that ceteris paribus, a chap with long dreadlocks and a scruffy beard would be less likely to get hired than someone who lacked those attributes. That applies to less extreme cases too... there is a corporate look and it's ill advised to go against it. As much as I would like to, I won't even dye my hair a natural blonde colour because I realise that it isn't worth the potential hindrance.

I think we agree, in principle atleast.
Original post by CGFPS
I'm a little (okay alot) concerned that wearing the hijab (Note; this only covers the hair and neck, not the face or any other parts of the body) might hinder my chances of getting into a BB investment bank in the future as dress in that field is very conservative and limited to certain styles. I know that, yes, I shouldn't go into a company that won't accept me for who I am or who discriminates, but it's hard trying to get a job in the state that we're currently in, and IB (investment banking) is a tough field to get into either way; I'll be competing with very high caliber people. Someone said to me that I should tough it out and be the best I can be, but I've seen lot's of females wearing the headscarf who are more than qualified for the jobs and who have been repeatedly rejected, regardless of whether or not they got a first in maths/economics, and if they did get accepted there was no progress up in the ranks. I really don't want to take a chance because the odds have been stacked against me most of my life...I'm not being self-deprecating, it's just that I don't want to 'take a chance' on my career. Any advice would be appreciated.
Should I not wear it at first, and then as I establish myself within the company after a while (maybe a year or two), go back to wearing a scarf? There are many muslims but they're mostly male and so their religion is not plainly worn on their heads. Honest opinions please, no false hopes.

There are many Islamic Banking companies that shouldn't discriminate on this issue to my knowledge.
Reply 32
Original post by CGFPS

Hi, can I just say yes unfortunately the reality is that there will always be some extent of discrimination. However, this only means it may be harder but not impossible to get in to IB. At the end of the day you need to excel in your degree and extra curricular activities as well as getting the company to "like" you and making them feel you would fit in and be right for the job. So if you do well enough to get to the interview stages, then wearing hijab will not ruin your chances. Some of them may be discriminative but they still understand you did well enough to be where you are. So most importantly it's about your personality, skills and if you can impress them on the day then they may be willing to overlook the small "factor" of you wearing hijab. I personally do not advise you to take it off because leaving religion aside, by taking it off you already becoming submissive and changing as a person just to fit in to an industry which yes can be rewarding but also can be corruptive. I definitely encourage you to pursue the career you want but if you have to jeapordise your religion or even your personality just to get in, then personally i don't think any of the perks are worth it.

Original post by CGFPS
There are certain areas/divisions within IB that don't deal directly with riba.

Also would you mind listing the specific divisions you know that don't deal directly with riba as I'm very interested myself. Thanks
Reply 33

Hair styles/facial hair are all very important parts of your appearance, and in an industry which is reknowned for its relatively strict treatment of appearance, of course these things are important.

It's important to be clean shaven, or have a very well groomed/trimmed beard. It's important to have tidy, well-kept hair. Coming in with dreadlocks or a back-combed rah bird's nest on your head will of course affect your overall appearance and how people form their first impressions of you.

@OP, if you're concerned about it, it will affect your confidence in how you look, which will affect how you come off. Why risk it for an outward display of a private trait (your religion)?
Original post by Nimiza
Hair styles/facial hair are all very important parts of your appearance, and in an industry which is reknowned for its relatively strict treatment of appearance, of course these things are important.

It's important to be clean shaven, or have a very well groomed/trimmed beard. It's important to have tidy, well-kept hair. Coming in with dreadlocks or a back-combed rah bird's nest on your head will of course affect your overall appearance and how people form their first impressions of you.

@OP, if you're concerned about it, it will affect your confidence in how you look, which will affect how you come off. Why risk it for an outward display of a private trait (your religion)?

Again I think your misunderstanding me; being clean and well-groomed I agree is a must. However, you have the 'right' to wear the hijab/turban/cross etc, while also abiding by the company’s other dress codes; as is currently done up and down this country without problem.

I defiantly agree on your second point that the inward trait is allot more important, but nevertheless to many the outward expression of faith is more a personal requirement of faith than 'boastful' profession of it.

It's cool exchanging ideas. :smile:
Reply 35
Again I think your misunderstanding me; being clean and well-groomed I agree is a must. However, you have the 'right' to wear the hijab/turban/cross etc, while also abiding by the company’s other dress codes; as is currently done up and down this country without problem.

I defiantly agree on your second point that the inward trait is allot more important, but nevertheless to many the outward expression of faith is more a personal requirement of faith than 'boastful' profession of it.

It's cool exchanging ideas. :smile:

I generally disagree with any outward expression of faith. By its nature, faith is something that comes from within: it's a belief system without any base in fact. If you want to believe in that, maintain some consistency and keep it private.

I don't walk around with a t-shirt saying I'm an atheist. It's my belief, and I don't need to shove it down other people's throat with an outward tag that immediately signals this to everyone before they even talk to me.

Let them judge me on my character, rather than preconceptions because I insist on an outward display of a private belief.
you realise that the hijab is not compulsory...and its constant wearing by women is more of a cultural thing than religious.....

only MUST be worn during prayer.....
Original post by infernalcradle
you realise that the hijab is not compulsory...and its constant wearing by women is more of a cultural thing than religious.....

only MUST be worn during prayer.....

Nonsense. These women must wear hijab at all times. :wink:

Also, why are you working in the banking industry anyway. It is not allowed in Islam.
Original post by firestar101
Nonsense. These women must wear hijab at all times. :wink:

Also, why are you working in the banking industry anyway. It is not allowed in Islam.

please show me the passages in the Qu'ran that says the Hijab must be worn at all times and that working in banking is haraam.....cos I've never heard of them....

and don't bother giving me anything from the Hadiths....cos whilst they are teachings of the Prophet (pbuh), they are still only the teachings of a man, and thus do not have the infalliable nature the Qu'ran does....hence I follow what the Qu'ran says, and not the hadiths so much

and I'm gonna be a doctor (hopefully)
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 39
Hijabs and IB do not mix. Never seen a girl wearing a hijab in IB but then I've never seen a muslim working in IB..

Quick Reply