The Student Room Group

What course should I take/ what universities could I go to?

Basically I have no idea what I want to do at uni/ life :frown:

I took History, Math, Physics and Chemistry A-Levels, and my results from my first modules were;

-Maths 93/100 A
-Physics 113/120 A
-Chemistry 71/90 B

My practical modules in Physics and Chemistry are high A's, and I got 5A* 6A at GCSE. Thing is, I took science based subjects at A-level and I really don't want to go into a purely science based career now. I enjoy Maths, but I don't think I am good enough to take it on in University. Finally, I love History and ace all my practice essays but don't really think taking a history degree would be worth it with the new tuition fees.

Basicaly, what degrees should I consider doing? I'm very motivated by making money and like thinking for myself if that helps.

Also would I have a chance of getting into the very top Universities?
media studies
Reply 2
History is still seen as a good degree..... if that is what you want to do, then do it.

Anyway, it is more about where you go than the course that you do. If you did history this would not be a problem nonetheless.
Reply 3
Original post by GeorgeYea

I took History, Math, Physics and Chemistry A-Levels, and my results from my first modules were;

-Maths 93/100 A
-Physics 113/120 A
-Chemistry 71/90 B

My practical modules in Physics and Chemistry are high A's, and I got 5A* 6A at GCSE. Thing is, I took science based subjects at A-level and I really don't want to go into a purely science based career now. I enjoy Maths, but I don't think I am good enough to take it on in University. Finally, I love History and ace all my practice essays but don't really think taking a history degree would be worth it with the new tuition fees.

Basicaly, what degrees should I consider doing? I'm very motivated by making money and like thinking for myself if that helps.

Hmm.

Do History. There's loads of graduate programmes that just want you to have any degree to get in, so you may as well do a degree you love if you wouldn't mind a job like that.
Which one do you enjoy the most, and why? Do you not enjoy Chem/Phys? Also, with a History degree you could do many things, you won't have as big a job guarantee as the sciences provide, but it is still worthwhile. Pretty much try and go with the one you enjoy the most, as you'll enjoy doing at uni and beyond and that should sort you out career wise.
Reply 5
History is a very well respected degree and you could do pretty much anything with a degree in History from a well respected institution, and you could shoot for Oxbridge level unis with your grades.

-Maths 93/100 A
-Physics 113/120 A
-Chemistry 71/90 B

Why wouldn't a history degree be worth it?

Don't forget that there are a lot of science degrees out there that aren't just Chemistry, Physics and Biology, which might interest you more, such as geology, marine biology, forensic science, psychology, medicine, biomedical sciences etc.

I don't see why you wouldn't be good enough at Maths - you got 93% in your AS for heaven's sakes! However, if you're doubting it then how about accounting and finance? Mathematical but not strictly 'maths'. Along that line of reasoning, economics could be a good choice as well.

Or, if you want something quite unrelated to your A-level studies then how about Law or Politics? You don't need to have studied all humanities at A-level for those, contrary to popular belief.

It depends what you mean by the 'top universities', as they differ from subject to subject. Generally though, if you can be predicted AAA at A-level then you've got a fair chance at Oxbridge, if that's what you mean.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by AndroidLight

Original post by AndroidLight
Which one do you enjoy the most, and why? Do you not enjoy Chem/Phys? Also, with a History degree you could do many things, you won't have as big a job guarantee as the sciences provide, but it is still worthwhile. Pretty much try and go with the one you enjoy the most, as you'll enjoy doing at uni and beyond and that should sort you out career wise.

I do enjoy some aspects of Physics/ Chemistry, but my dad got similar grades at A-Level, did chemical engineering and ended up stuck working in a factory all his life. It's not bad money, it just seems such a mundane kind of job and I always thought I would want to be in a job where the emphasis was much more on me thinking for myself. Secondly, I don't think I'm actually that good at Science in real life, just good at exams. It's hard to explain really, but I think I'm good at doing tests rather than actually applying Science :s-smilie:
Reply 8
You could do something like Economics and Politics or Economics and History. Then you get History / another essay writing type subject where analytical skills are key and you get your dose of applied Mathematics in an Economics degree which can be as Mathsy as you'd like (within reason).

Both good degrees and may show a little bit of quantitativeness reasoning, which is valued for finance and other key areas that you'll be looking into when you graduate.

My two cent.
Reply 9
Original post by Rascacielos

@ Rascacielos,

I always thought history degrees wouldn't result in as well payed jobs as maths and sciences.
Also, my Maths result came from doing about ten past papers and finding that they asked you the same questions pretty much every time.
Reply 10
Original post by rugbygreg

And do economics subjects not want any Economics/Further Maths a-level?
And do economics subjects not want any Economics/Further Maths a-level?

If you do joint honors it wont be an issue if you get an A in Maths.
@ Rascacielos,

I always thought history degrees wouldn't result in as well payed jobs as maths and sciences.
Also, my Maths result came from doing about ten past papers and finding that they asked you the same questions pretty much every time.

If you become a historian, then in general you thought right. But many history students go on to become lawyers and politicians, who often earn a lot more than your average science student.

It sounds like you have little faith in your Mathematical ability. I do lots of past papers and still only scrape an A, and I don't consider myself too bad at Maths. :tongue:
Reply 13
heyy why dont you do media and public relations
i am doing the media course at westminster university, i think it is a great course to study plus PR is one of the most growing fields in the UK you can make a great deal of money if you work in the PR industry. Westminster uni is known to be one of the best unis for media and PR studies and the course combines both theory and practical work
do think about because being a student doing that course i highly recommand it :smile:
good luck

Quick Reply

Latest