The Student Room Group

Need some serious revision advice

My usual revision goes like this. I highlight key parts of the textbook, make detailed notes and basically read them over and over until I basically memorise what is on the page. Its ridiculously boring and whatnot, but hey, it works.

However I have a History book which is over 160 pages. It seems really impractical and almost impossible to make totally detailed notes in a month and a half with all my other subjects. Im forced to change my revision tactics. Do any of you have advice on how to tackle this problem? Would be much appreciated, especially for anyone who has had past experience. Im going to have to change my revision method entirely to revise this book..

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I revised for my history as exam the day before (i didnt sleep) andi got an A :smile: the books were around 200 or just under 200 pages long.
Reply 2
I need help with this too! Bloody history..
Reply 3
Flashcards :biggrin:
Reply 4
Original post by TheWorld!
I revised for my history as exam the day before (i didnt sleep) andi got an A :smile: the books were around 200 or just under 200 pages long.

Care to explain how you did it? :biggrin:
Reply 5
Basicaly I tried notes at first and then thought f*** this i will never finish. So i just read the book and memorised, i found it interesting so it wasnt that hard. As long as you have a decent understanding and can right really well then you will be Ok. I dont think i will risk doing that for my a2 though.
Reply 6
A month is more then enough to write notes!
Reply 7
Original post by TheWorld!
A month is more then enough to write notes!

Its harder than you think. All my subjects are essay subjects. It already took me 3 weeks to summarise one of my history books and I have another 2 to go through. :s-smilie:

However, I reckon I might take your advice and memorise the text book..
Reply 8
Best thing is to learn all the key points for chapters Ie economic polices any significant events such as geddes axe of 1921 if ou do british history or w/e and then practice exam technique and finalise smaller more detailed points that othr candiated won't have.
Reply 9
Original post by BTNH
Its harder than you think. All my subjects are essay subjects. It already took me 3 weeks to summarise one of my history books and I have another 2 to go through. :s-smilie:

However, I reckon I might take your advice and memorise the text book..

I did English lit bio and chem as well, so i had lots to revise to! I just cannot help being a last minute person but the adrenalin rush of knowing you have an exam the next day makes you work. Dont just memorise the text book understand it to! nto be honest i dont know how i did it i just wrote of history as a fail and was suprised with the a
Reply 10
My history book is just over 200 pages long and I can easily take notes on the whole thing in a week or so. Don't bother highlighting stuff and don't be so detailed. Textbooks are ridiculously wordy, you can summarise a page in a few bullet points usually- focus on key dates, events and interpretations. I'm gonna attach some of my AS notes (I got an A- there were two papers, one on India and one on Germany, these are all my notes for India) as an example if anyone's interested.
Reply 11
Original post by riotgrrl
My history book is just over 200 pages long and I can easily take notes on the whole thing in a week or so. Don't bother highlighting stuff and don't be so detailed. Textbooks are ridiculously wordy, you can summarise a page in a few bullet points usually- focus on key dates, events and interpretations. I'm gonna attach some of my AS notes (I got an A- there were two papers, one on India and one on Germany, these are all my notes for India) as an example if anyone's interested.

Whoa thanks for that. I see what you have done there. However I find it so hard to cut the notes down. It is almost impossible for me. I keep thinking as if it is all totally relevent. Its crazy, I wish I could do it like you no joke ahha
Reply 12
Original post by BTNH
Whoa thanks for that. I see what you have done there. However I find it so hard to cut the notes down. It is almost impossible for me. I keep thinking as if it is all totally relevent. Its crazy, I wish I could do it like you no joke ahha

Think of it like this- it's better to note down the key facts and be able to revise from them well than to get into a tangle trying to remember everything and fail to get a thorough understanding of what's going on.
Reply 13
I hate a levels that require memorization, that's why I dropped biology :biggrin:

chemistry = a bit of memorising, but a lot of it is logic. do past papers

physics = same thing

maths + further = textbook and past papers

:biggrin:
Reply 14
Original post by ilyking
I hate a levels that require memorization, that's why I dropped biology :biggrin:

chemistry = a bit of memorising, but a lot of it is logic. do past papers

physics = same thing

maths + further = textbook and past papers

:biggrin:

I agree completely about Biology! All I seem to be learning are petty facts with the odd bit of theory; I knew I should've picked Physics!

What maths modules have you done?
Reply 15
Original post by Groat
I agree completely about Biology! All I seem to be learning are petty facts with the odd bit of theory; I knew I should've picked Physics!

What maths modules have you done?

maths - c1, c2 and m1
f.maths - fp1, s1 and d1

I haven't done any, doing them in may/june
Reply 16
Original post by ilyking
maths - c1, c2 and m1
f.maths - fp1, s1 and d1

I haven't done any, doing them in may/june

Ah, exactly the same as me then! Are you on Edexcel?
Reply 17
Original post by Groat
Ah, exactly the same as me then! Are you on Edexcel?

yup :top:
Reply 18
Original post by ilyking
yup :top:

I wish you the best of luck! How are you finding all the modules? I'm just working to bring my scores up to 75/75; I keep losing one mark here or there when doing past papers.
Have ye ever considered mindmaps? So just find each key topic and make mindmaps out of them? That way you only really need to skim read.. It will jog your memory when you read it, and if you look at something and it doesn't ring a bell then you can just look it up in the textbook! :smile: just an idea..

Quick Reply

Latest