The Student Room Group

How to get to Cambridge- Lucy Cavendish- first time travelling- help!

Hi, I'm travelling to Lucy Cavendish College tomorrow, probably in the evening. I haven't had much experience of travelling on the trains so very worried about how to get there. I'm travelling from London to Cambridge. Once I'm outside Cambridge station, how would I get to Lucy? I've purchased a one day bus ticket to use on Cambridge buses. Which bus would I have to get? Ive not much experience with trains- please help me out...
Original post by Eggs and Ham
Hi, I'm travelling to Lucy Cavendish College tomorrow, probably in the evening. I haven't had much experience of travelling on the trains so very worried about how to get there. I'm travelling from London to Cambridge. Once I'm outside Cambridge station, how would I get to Lucy? I've purchased a one day bus ticket to use on Cambridge buses. Which bus would I have to get? Ive not much experience with trains- please help me out...

Hi! First of all, who negged this post? That strikes me as a little harsh ...

I'm not the best person to ask about buses, but I can suggest that you get a taxi from the station since Lucy Cavendish is out to the north of Cambridge, whereas the station is to the south. As for trains, if you're travelling from London you'll want to go from King's Cross. The train times for tomorrow evening can be found here.

Hope this helps!
Reply 2
Original post by Languages Nutter
Hi! First of all, who negged this post? That strikes me as a little harsh ...

I'm not the best person to ask about buses, but I can suggest that you get a taxi from the station since Lucy Cavendish is out to the north of Cambridge, whereas the station is to the south. As for trains, if you're travelling from London you'll want to go from King's Cross. The train times for tomorrow evening can be found here.

Hope this helps!

Thanks for your response. So Lucy Cavendish isn't located near Cambridge rail station? How much would a taxi ride cost?
Sadly not! See this map: the rail station's near the Botanic Garden, and Lucy Cavendish is marked "A".

I don't know how much a taxi fare costs, but I'd suggest you call Panther Taxis and book beforehand. You could also just get a quote from them.

Hope this helps!
Reply 4
Thanks for your response. So Lucy Cavendish isn't located near Cambridge rail station? How much would a taxi ride cost?

Depending on the time of day/traffic probably somewhere around £7-10 if not a bit more. Taxis aren't cheap in Cambridge.
I live close to Lucy Cavendish. The College is about a 30 - 35 minute walk from the Station, if you were inclined to walk. On a nice day, it's not so bad. But, it might be difficult if you are not sure where you're going.

A taxi from the station would be close to 10 pounds. There are taxis outside the station at all hours, so it is not difficult to find one.

Unfortunately, I don't know too much about the buses, as I've never taken one in Cambridge. But, there's a bus journey planner that you can use here:

http://www.cambridgeshire.gov.uk/transport/around/journey.htm
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by Leviathan21
I live close to Lucy Cavendish. The College is about a 30 - 35 minute walk from the Station, if you were inclined to walk. On a nice day, it's not so bad. But, it might be difficult if you are not sure where you're going.

A taxi from the station would be close to 10 pounds. There are taxis outside the station at all hours, so it is not difficult to find one.

Unfortunately, I don't know too much about the buses, as I've never taken one in Cambridge. But, there's a bus journey planner that you can use here:

http://www.cambridgeshire.gov.uk/transport/around/journey.htm

Hi, if I got a bus into the city centre, would that be easy walking distance to the college? Does it involve walking in a straight line then turnng left?
Hi, if I got a bus into the city centre, would that be easy walking distance to the college? Does it involve walking in a straight line then turnng left?

From the city centre, the College is probably a 15-minute walk. I guess you could get there by walking in a straight line and then turning left, but in my opinion, that is slightly confusing because there are lots of little passages and streets, and it's hard to know where to turn left. Here is what I would advise:

In the city-centre, get to Sainsbury's. Ask anyone and they'll be able to direct you. Start your walk there. You'll be on Sidney Street.

1. Keep walking straight.
2. Sidney Street will become Bridge Street (You'll see the river). Keep walking straight.
3. Bridge street will become Magdalene Street. Keep walking straight.
4. At the traffic lights, turn left onto Northhampton Street.
5. Keep walking until you come to a roundabout.
6. At the roundabout, turn right into Madingley Road.
7. As you're walking on Madingley, take the first right turn onto Lady Margaret Rd
8. On Lady Margaret Road, the College will be on your left.

I hope this doesn't confuse you even more! It's a slightly longer route, but it's easier (I think) because it takes you through the most prominently labelled streets (as opposed to small passages that are hard to find).

You could also print off a map from Google Maps to follow along where you're going.
Reply 8
Original post by Leviathan21
From the city centre, the College is probably a 15-minute walk. I guess you could get there by walking in a straight line and then turning left, but in my opinion, that is slightly confusing because there are lots of little passages and streets, and it's hard to know where to turn left. Here is what I would advise:

In the city-centre, get to Sainsbury's. Ask anyone and they'll be able to direct you. Start your walk there. You'll be on Sidney Street.

1. Keep walking straight.
2. Sidney Street will become Bridge Street (You'll see the river). Keep walking straight.
3. Bridge street will become Magdalene Street. Keep walking straight.
4. At the traffic lights, turn left onto Northhampton Street.
5. Keep walking until you come to a roundabout.
6. At the roundabout, turn right into Madingley Road.
7. As you're walking on Madingley, take the first right turn onto Lady Margaret Rd
8. On Lady Margaret Road, the College will be on your left.

I hope this doesn't confuse you even more! It's a slightly longer route, but it's easier (I think) because it takes you through the most prominently labelled streets (as opposed to small passages that are hard to find).

You could also print off a map from Google Maps to follow along where you're going.

Thanks so much. This is exactly the route I took. I had to look at the tourist map thing a few times but it was okay. It took me 30 mins to walk there from the City Centre! I think I may have gotton off the bus a bit earlier. My interview went quite well and I'll receive a decision by the end of this month...
Thanks so much. This is exactly the route I took. I had to look at the tourist map thing a few times but it was okay. It took me 30 mins to walk there from the City Centre! I think I may have gotton off the bus a bit earlier. My interview went quite well and I'll receive a decision by the end of this month...

Great! I'm glad it helped.

Good luck with the decision! I hope it works out for you.
Reply 10

Congrats! If all goes well and you do find yourself going back, the Uni 4 bus stops at the intersection of Bateman Street and Trumpington Road (at least, it should whilst road works aren't going on). Bateman St. is just opposite the road leading from the rail station, so this is a 5-10 min walk. The Uni 4 stops on Madingley Road just outside Churchill College, which is also 5 minutes or so from Lucy Cav.

The Uni 4 also has the advantage of costing only 50p if you have a Cambridge card with you.
How come you had an interview in april, may I ask? Is that a job interview?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending