The Student Room Group

The most useful Uni degree that is easy to get into..

are there any degrees/uni courses that are very useful for getting a job easily and good pay that are also very easy to get into.
(e.g. the uni's that are low-ish ranked and that require around 200-250 or fewer tarrif points)

[i just need a safety option, if i dont get into what i want to do - engineering - so something similar]
Reply 1
Engineering with a placement in industry?

These courses give you a years work experience, and often they choose to hire you when you graduate. Engineering degrees are intense though. You'll hav to work for them.
Reply 2
Medicine, blates.
Reply 3
Computer science...

IF you dont know what you want to do....why the hell you going to uni?

EDIT: Neg rep me all you like. Computer science generally doesn't have as many applicants as many other degrees so universities offer lower grades.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by AshleyT
Computer science...

IF you dont know what you want to do....why the hell you going to uni?

This girl has a point.
Original post by Abused Tampon
are there any degrees/uni courses that are very useful for getting a job easily and good pay that are also very easy to get into.
(e.g. the uni's that are low-ish ranked and that require around 200-250 or fewer tarrif points)

[i just need a safety option, if i dont get into what i want to do - engineering - so something similar]

If youreally want to do Engineering just go hard or go home and apply to 5 Universities all for engineering - it's what most people do outside of medicine as they usually apply to 3 medicine courses and then like Biomed or something. Hell It's what I've done and my Uni's are all AAB or above.

Go hard or go home!
Reply 6
Original post by lazy smurf
This girl has a point.

can you read?
i said i wanted to do engineering, but i needed a safety option.

+computer science..... i thought that was hard to get into doing.
Reply 7
Original post by Abused Tampon
can you read?
i said i wanted to do engineering, but i needed a safety option.

+computer science..... i thought that was hard to get into doing.

Bit harder now than when i was applying but generally big universities offer lower grades for CS than other subjects.
Warwick was AAB for me, Soton AAB, Edinburgh ABB, York, AAB, Lancaster BBB, Sheffield BBB.
Probs changed now, but yeah, most of those universities subjects were AAA.
Reply 8
All the decent universities such as the Russell group/1994 group generally tend to ask for higher entry requirement compared to past years.

To do an engineering degree at a decent university, you will need at least ABB, some may be lenient and give offers for BBB. An inspiring engineering/computer science student should not be thinking of acheiving 200-250 UCAS points. It is relatively low for such a worthwhile degree.

But it's up to you if you really want to go to a good university or an extremely low ranked university. All you have to do is work for yourself.

Another option is doing a computer science degree aswell, but i think i am right to say that the entry requirement required is similar to the one for engineering.
Have a look at the polys and do something vocational like computer science or business have that as your insurance so if you don't get the good grades for your first choice you've got something to fall back on!
Physics. If I remember rightly it tends to be relatively undersubscribed because people think it's hard, but is similar to engineering so should be right up your street.
Pharmacy? Wait that's nothing to do with engineering.. ~ignore :redface:
(edited 13 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending