The Student Room Group

Cambridge 2011 Freshers Chat Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by SabreT
Is she a first year or second year? From what im hearing, medicine at Cambridge just seems like an absolute mission.

Im looking forward to it, but at the same time im bricking it :s-smilie:

She's a first year but she says that everyone says 2nd year medicine is the hardest subject at Cambridge!! She has something to look forward to - but she loves the course.

I've just seen that someone said you had to choose between a boyfriend or the course and I think she has had to make that choice (reluctantly).

I'm sure you'll be fine :smile:
Original post by Got the tshirt
She's a first year but she says that everyone says 2nd year medicine is the hardest subject at Cambridge!!

It is. Apparently, it's in the Guiness Book of Records for most number of things to be learnt in one year of any degree.
Original post by Doughnuts!!
:zomg:

I genuinely thought that I was the only one that this happened to! When I was preparing for my Cam interview, I had to finish the final draft of my English coursework whilst starting to read reading the books that I said I read read in my PS. The massive amount of stress had me feeling like complete crap for 2 weeks and my teachers became concerned by my declining standards of work. Add to that I started to randomly fall asleep and you realise that it was not a good place for me to be in.

Ended up getting 100% in English coursework and feeling comfortable talking about my opinions of the books in the Cam interview. :confused:
Not quite sure what the moral of that story was; I seem to be work better when stressed and feeling terrible? :dontknow:

This is JUST like me, seriously! I wasn't doing coursework in the first term, but I WAS frantically trying to sort out the essays I was going to send pre-interview, whilst also attempting to keep up with schoolwork AND remind myself of what I'd put in my PS look over essays/books/articles, etc. for my interview. And then I got a stupid cold and hacking cough that continued right up until my interview. :mad:

And equally, was fine in the end. :tongue: I get literally sick with nerves before exams - any/all - certain that the end of the world has come, and then manage to do well. I reckon that, unfairly, that's what works for us! :s-smilie:
Hi everybody!

Quick question: if I'm coming to Cambridge in October 2011, when do I have to apply for accomodation?

Can anybody help? Thank you :smile: x
Reply 1444
i have just joined to thought id say hello
Reply 1445
You'll get information posted by your college at some point, probably over the summer. It will most likely just be a case of expressing preference for a certain type of room, and then your room will get assigned to you -- whatever happens, it won't be very complicated.
your college will let you know.

if you still havent heard by the start of september ring up your college and ask as they may have messed up (like they did with me) and sent it to the wrong address
Original post by Emma-Jane92
Hi everybody!

Quick question: if I'm coming to Cambridge in October 2011, when do I have to apply for accomodation?

Can anybody help? Thank you :smile: x

What GCSEs did you get?
Original post by darkestskies

Original post by darkestskies
x

hey I got a conditional offer from Fitzwilliam, too. Looking forward to meeting you there in OCT 2011 lol.
Reply 1449
Original post by jack3
i have just joined to thought id say hello

hey :smile:

subject and college?
Hi :smile: I hope there are some overseas medics can help me out :frown: I have not started my CRB check yet...
I got really confused by CRB check process of Cambridge and another medical school where I got an offer from.

I read the informational on Cambridge website and the package they sent me, it seems like I dont need to obtain a CRB check and I just need to get a letter of good conduct from my own country. However, some other medical school websites said that I also need to get another CRB check as I have lived in UK for a year...

Which one I should do now? Any overseas medics please help me :frown:
Original post by Doughnuts!!
:zomg:

I genuinely thought that I was the only one that this happened to! When I was preparing for my Cam interview, I had to finish the final draft of my English coursework whilst starting to read reading the books that I said I read read in my PS. The massive amount of stress had me feeling like complete crap for 2 weeks and my teachers became concerned by my declining standards of work. Add to that I started to randomly fall asleep and you realise that it was not a good place for me to be in.

Ended up getting 100% in English coursework and feeling comfortable talking about my opinions of the books in the Cam interview. :confused:
Not quite sure what the moral of that story was; I seem to be work better when stressed and feeling terrible? :dontknow:

You are not the only one, I felt exactly the same when preparing for my interview, meaning that I fell behind in work and started performing really bad in class (I ended up getting a U in my assessment for Further Maths, but got an A* for the next assessment)

However, this meant that I could do STEP questions really well during this period, talk about stuff I never heard off and do some really weird things in pressure :dontknow:
Yo duds!

What's the ''formal wear'' for Caius/other Cambridge colleges? I'm thinking of buying it now and doubling it up for prom to avoid buying a suit I will use once.
Original post by BrassPioneer
What's the ''formal wear'' for Caius/other Cambridge colleges? I'm thinking of buying it now and doubling it up for prom to avoid buying a suit I will use once.

Most of the time it will just be a normal (lounge) suit for "formal wear", though for some events (special dinners, May Balls) you will need a dinner jacket.
Yo duds!

Only thing i'd add to what alex said is that Caius, for formal hall, is unique (so far as I know) in that there is no dress code except that Caians have to have a gown on. Apparently, some people have even been in pyjamas :smile:
Yo duds!

I would recommend purchasing black tie - you will use it enough while you're at Cambridge.
Reply 1456
Original post by Ca11ie
A bit, yes, but I think we'll get used to it. Besides, they wouldn't have given us offers if they didn't think we could cope, so although it'll probably be a shock at first I think we'll survive :smile:
Which subject is your offer for?

I'm not sure I will be able to cope, or actually get the A*! If I get the A* then maybe I'll feel like I actually do deserve to go there :smile:
Phys NatSci :smile:
Original post by gethsemane342
Only thing i'd add to what alex said is that Caius, for formal hall, is unique (so far as I know) in that there is no dress code except that Caians have to have a gown on. Apparently, some people have even been in pyjamas :smile:

I've also heard that the food at Caius formals is pretty grot so you probably won't feel like dressing up too much!:smile:
Original post by Got the tshirt
I've also heard that the food at Caius formals is pretty grot so you probably won't feel like dressing up too much!:smile:

It's actually not that bad. Not very formal at all but I did a comparison with Christ's formals, with a mate from Caius and we decided the two were equal :wink: Which means not amazing but certainly not too bad.
Original post by gethsemane342
It's actually not that bad. Not very formal at all but I did a comparison with Christ's formals, with a mate from Caius and we decided the two were equal :wink: Which means not amazing but certainly not too bad.

Probably my sister is just fussy - don't think she has done a Christs swap yet.
I'm hoping she invites me to a Downing formal next term.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending