The Student Room Group

Medics with long term health conditions

Im not sure if anyone will be able to help me here.
Are there any current medics out there with long term health conditions?
I would really like it if someone wouldnt mind talking to me about the impact it has on them and how they cope with medicine in general.
Im struggling pretty badly at the minute and just wondered how other medical students coped.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Feel free to PM me :smile: (I have a long term health problem)
Reply 2
Feel free to PM me :s (I have a long term health problem)
Wow that was quick - i'll send you a PM now
Reply 4
Same as above.
feel free to PM me (I have crippling emotional problems)
Same, but mine's quite mild so may not be that helpful!
Original post by Calumcalum
Same, but mine's quite mild so may not be that helpful!

If you mean hayfever or something I don't think that's what she means!

I might do fairyspangles(!)
Original post by Philosoraptor
If you mean hayfever or something I don't think that's what she means!

I might do fairyspangles(!)

Tourette's :tongue:
Original post by Calumcalum
Tourette's :tongue:

I'd love to see how that'd work in church?
I'm already silly enough, if I did that at my Life group I think it'd be a step too far
Original post by Philosoraptor
I'd love to see how that'd work in church?
I'm already silly enough, if I did that at my Life group I think it'd be a step too far

:tongue: it's a pretty mild version. Most people I've met have confused Tourette's with coprolalia (no thanks to the media representation of Tourette's) and so don't believe me when I say I have it, which is pretty annoying! It usually only bothers me when I make weird facial expressions, weird noises (I can usually keep them pretty quiet) and have oculomotor tics when trying to drive and look at the road :awesome:
:-( Not good. I had a big problem with occy health in my first year of med school (I have a moderate visual impairment) - it was all clearly documented on my pre-med-school screening questionnaire but they seemed to have totally overlooked it. I had a sudden massive problem in the middle of first year exams, had to be seen daily at the eye hosp for a while, blah de blah, so went to go and see the relevant people re. mitigation and the time I was needing off, and they feigned complete ignorance and had a bit of a hissyfit over the whole thing. Not fun when you're already dealing with a major and potentially life-changing exacerbation of something, and suddenly you've the med school trying all sorts to see if they can chuck you out on health grounds. (Although they did admit that they thought they'd seen every mitigation reason possible, until I submitted "I couldn't actually see the exam paper...") Thankfully, whilst my hospital consultant wasn't particularly supportive of me, he was at least factual. I also spoke to the GP tutor I'd been doing a day per fortnight with during first year, and she wrote a supportive letter to the med school explaining that in her opinion I'd had no problems with any clinical tasks from a visual perspective, including phlebotomy etc. Thankfully in the end all was ok, but it was a scary time. It's one of the big reasons that I encourage people to declare everything on their pre-med school questionnaire - I would have been in VERY hot water had I not written down; they got the form out and had to acknowledge it was their fault for overlooking it.

Nowadays, I still don't have enough vision to drive. There are a few things in hospital that I struggle with on occasions, but I've found ways round them. I manage to cannulate neonates without problem. if I'm leading a cardiac arrest, I make sure that I'm closer to the monitor to read the rhythm (I can't see it properly from the other end of the bed space but have no problem if I'm slightly closer). I make sure I have good lighting if I'm doing a clinical procedure, even if it's the middle of the night and the nurses get cross about all the lights going on. When the consultant used to do the whole "stand at the end of the bed and tell me what the eye signs are' I used to ask to come closer. The only thing I can't do is ophthalmoscopy. Thankfully now I'm a doctor, occy health seem to have been slightly more relaxed, and I've also managed to build up a good bank of evidence that I can carry out everything I need to for my job.

Fairy, don't give up - keep fighting them. It can be very demoralising at times, especially if your consultant's contacting them. Do you have a supportive GP? Sometimes they can be a lifesaver in these sorts of situations, perhaps an extra voice to reiterate that your consultant doesn't know enough to comment about a particular situation.
Reply 12
Hi OP- big sympathy and hugs your way. I'm struggling a bit right now with something along those lines.

Everyone's case is completely individual, it just depends how much time being ill takes up... On my course there's a guy with lupus, he doesn't achieve his potential simply as he misses so much uni. But he has says he'd have the same problem in whatever career path he chose, and so he might as well do the what he wants to and accept he's not gonna be the best. I respect him, and his way of thinking hugely, he'll be an amazing doctor.

Would you mind giving any more details about your illness?

It can be hard, especially when the university can kick up a fuss, and start throwing fitness to practise threats all over the place. Best advice I can give is speak to the disability assistance at your uni, I'm seeing mine next week. They can explain what extra measures are available to make things easier for you.
Reply 13
FS,

We've spoken about this a few months ago so I know some of what your problems are. I truly hope that you followed the abvice you've been given previously and spoken in depth to both your school and your clinical supervisors.

If despite this there is ongoing concern at your ability to be a doctor then I think you need to think very carefully about how to approach this with input from your treating consultant, the school's occupational health consultant and your clinical supervisors. There remains a real possibility that medicine is something that you will not be able to do - both for the sake of your health and your patients'.
Thanks for the advice guys! My consultant is being an idiot now and saying he has concerns about my ability to cope with the working conditions in foundation years. It seems no one is on my side!! Renal i did take on board all of the advice and i have a tutor and i thought everything was fine! Just had recent meeting with my consultant and now i just feel like ****e!!!
And by consultant i mean the one whos treating me.

Why cant things be framed in a more positive light? Ive worked so hard to prove im capable and im dedicated. Why is that not enough??
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 15
Original post by fairy spangles
I would really like it if someone wouldnt mind talking to me about the impact it has on them and how they cope with medicine in general.
Im struggling pretty badly at the minute and just wondered how other medical students coped.

PM me if you want :smile: x
Reply 16

PM if you wish. :smile:
Seems that lots of medics really do have long term health problems - i really didnt expect so many people to reply to this thread. Its so good people are willing to help!
Reply 18
Feel free to PM me too. Hope things get sorted. x

have pm'd you. :wink:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending