The Student Room Group

TSR's 2012 Tuition Fees Tracker - how much are universities charging in 2012?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by James_B123
I was under the impression that the "exceptional fees" would be based on access for poorer students. Not whether the individual university was in the league tables or there were other, better universities nearby. In other words the only way they couldn't charge the full fees is if they didn't have fair access.

Under that criteria, LJMU is surely more qualified than the likes of Oxbridge to do this because it is more far more likely poorer students would attend. (I'm not saying that LMJU is worth the same as Oxbridge, obviously. (as someone who has LJMU as my insurance... close to home))

This was always going to happen, there will be a smattering of £6-7k fees but the vast, vast majority of uni's will charge the full £9k. It happened before and it will happen in the future (we aren't far off having no cap at all, mind) and I would be astounded if the government didn't know this beforehand.

On the contrary, any uni who charges over 6k has to supplement poor students a percentage above 6k-9k..meaning charging above that is unwise if your cohort is predominently poor students

Unis are c harging 9k because the government has taking all the funding and its litereally the only way unis can remain at previous levels (let alone go further with education)...i dont begrudge any uni for charging 9k, its the disgusting facade underwhich they introduced this rise
Reply 221
Will they be surprised when they get close to 100 applicants?
Original post by wdywuk
...and another one who doesn't understand the process.

Yup.
I'll admit I don't understand it fully.
I'm just going off the simplified BBC site.

If you feel like explaining it properly then go ahead...

EDIT: I've just read this http://www.ljmu.ac.uk/NewsUpdate/index_118004.htm and explains it and says it is going to be approved or disapproved in April.
I guess the BBC site meant it is confirmed that they have applied to charge that much not confirmed that they are going to pay that much...
Not very clear really.

If I am wrong again feel free to explain or just call me an idiot.
(Or both)
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by Carpediemxx
On the contrary, any uni who charges over 6k has to supplement poor students a percentage above 6k-9k..meaning charging above that is unwise if your cohort is predominently poor students

Unis are c harging 9k because the government has taking all the funding and its litereally the only way unis can remain at previous levels (let alone go further with education)...i dont begrudge any uni for charging 9k, its the disgusting facade underwhich they introduced this rise

Even if poor students are put off from the £9k, LJMU's student base will still be from that poorer area. If that makes sense. As far as I know the specific rules haven't really been clarified and so universities can already claim they do enough to entice poorer students with bursaries, grants etc.

In fact the more vocational degrees (which are more likely to be from the "lesser" unis excluding medicine etc) need even more money than the traditional subjects.

I agree with the last bit, it isn't the universities' fault for this. A fee rise maybe, but not coupled with massive teaching cuts. (Scrapping the fees is also as stupid)

@razzmatazz rach - They've only confirmed they plan to charge the £9k, it still has to be ratified by OFFA. Though I'm not sure they can actually stop them anyway.
Original post by The Stig
Is there going to be a new thread every time this happens? There should just be one big thread to post all announcements of new uni fee's being released.

Welcome to TSR.

OP: You may as well have renamed the thread "Liverpool John Moores to close down". :awesome:
Original post by James_B123
Even if poor students are put off from the £9k, LJMU's student base will still be from that poorer area. If that makes sense. As far as I know the specific rules haven't really been clarified and so universities can already claim they do enough to entice poorer students with bursaries, grants etc.

Why would a poor student go to LJMU for £9000, when they can go to Oxford for potentially £3500 (+ £6000 for every consequent year)?

http://www.ox.ac.uk/media/news_releases_for_journalists/110315_1.html
High fives for any fellow '11 entrants :smile:
Original post by im so academic
Why would a poor student go to LJMU for £9000, when they can go to Oxford for potentially £3500 (+ £6000 for every consequent year)?

Because they're not intellectually capable of getting into Oxford?
Reply 228
Original post by razzmatazz rach
Yup.
I'll admit I don't understand it fully.
I'm just going off the simplified BBC site.

If you feel like explaining it properly then go ahead...

Any uni who wishes to charge more than 6k has to fill in a whopping big document in which they have to present their case on how they are going to make sure that applicants from poor/disadvantaged backgrounds will be eligible for grants/bursaries/discounts etc. All uni's have to send in their plans by end of next week and those who wish to charge more than 6k will then have their supporting documentation scrutinised. With the govermnment wanting the average to be 7.5k and the expected average being closer to 9k they may possibly do all sorts of things, from further reducing the teaching budget that reamins (for the top 2 bands), to forcing everybody to scale back their proposed fees. Who knows what they might end up doing.

Anyway, the genral idea is - all because a uni has stated they wish to charge 9k there is no guarantee at the moment that they will be able to charge that figure.

Probably for the same reasons they don't go now. Can't get the grades the most likely reason.

I'm not arguing that in a straight choice people would choose LJMU (maybe 1/1000 would).
Original post by Rascacielos
Because they're not intellectually capable of getting into Oxford?

What about other universities like Durham, UCL, Leicester etc that could potentially offer bursaries and grants?

No offence, but people who are only intellectually capable enough to attend LJMU should not be going to university at all.
What about other universities like Durham, UCL, Leicester etc that could potentially offer bursaries and grants?

Because they're not necessarily clever enough to go there either.

No offence, but people who are only intellectually capable enough to attend LJMU should not be going to university at all.

No offence taken on my part, but I don't think that's for you to decide.

I used to neg you for these kinds of posts, now I just sit back and wait.
Welcome to TSR.

OP: You may as well have renamed the thread "Liverpool John Moores to close down". :awesome:

lol! Yeah also Leeds Met is to charge £8500 so I believe this may be another fail!!!!!!!
Oh dear God! :facepalm: Saw it coming tbf.

And that is for you to decide is it?

The universities exist for a reason and 50% of LJMU graduates get a job within 6 months of graduating. A lot of them also go on to do Masters elsewhere to further their education.

Also, your last statement is absolutely stupid! and I quote;

'People who are only intellectually capable enough to attend LJMU should not be going to university at all?'

They are obviously intellectually capable enough to go to the university that is LJMU and those that require equal entrance requirements or lower! So obviously they should be going to university as they have the required grades to enter a number of institutions.

You also forget to factor in that other people have personal problems in their life that can affect their studying and rather than resit A levels they choose to do an undergraduate degree at a less well renown university and then do their Masters at a better university.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by AreYouDizzeeBlud_x
The universities exist for a reason and 50% of LJMU graduates get a job within 6 months of graduating.

What type of jobs?

A lot of them also go on to do Masters elsewhere to do further their education.

Where? What subjects? Do they complete it to a suitable standard?

People who are only intellectually capable enough to attend LJMU should not be going to university at all?

Yep/

They are obviously intellectually capable enough to go to the university that is LJMU and those that require equal entrance requirements or lower!

Only because it is called a "university".

So obviously they should be going to university as they have the required grades to enter a number of institutions.

I do not consider them as proper academic institutions.

You also forget to factor in that other people have personal problems in their life that can affect their studying and rather than resit A levels they choose to do an undergraduate degree at a less well renown university and then do their Masters at a better university.

I'd rather they resat A-levels and went on to a better university in the first place.
What type of jobs?

Doesn't matter! they still get employment. In this day and age its hard enough to get a decent job. Even graduates are struggling, those from highly regarded institutions.

Where? What subjects? Do they complete it to a suitable standard?

Obviously they do as they get employed and an employer who has run a company is far more suited to making a recruitment decision than you.

Yep/

Only because it is called a "university".

BECAUSE IT IS A UNIVERSITY. :facepalm:

seriously, you're called 'im so academic' but you do not come across as intellectually gifted or represent a decent level of common sense in your responses to be honest! being academic is one thing, possessing common sense and learning to view things in a rational matter is another entirely.

I do not consider them as proper academic institutions.

Yeah well many employers, people and the educational system do, hence why they are regarded as proper academic institutions. So who is right? you or the opinion of those that count and have been working in the education sector for years? I suspect the latter!

I'd rather they resat A-levels and went on to a better university in the first place.

Again, just as your point before, this is your own opinion. A lot of people do not share this opinion. If they resat their A levels then they'd put their education on hold when they could go to a university less academically renown, achieve a good first and then go to a well renown university to further educate themselves.

I've also put your opinionated bits in italic just so you can see that the last two statements are based on your opinion and you do not have the right to speak on behalf of others.
Original post by Jack.O
Academics cost about the same regardless of the university; if you search around on the jobs section of the Times Higher Education site you can get more of an insight into this.

Also, as an ex-poly student, I can say I've never heard a single case of a graduate student teaching a class. Plus the library at my university is pretty darn good, but then, even if I was at Harvard I'd probably still spend 90% of my research time on Google Books/Scholar instead.

I bet you would not.
Original post by Cesar Lecat
How much of an idiot do you have to be to believe the fees were going up this year? It was clearly stated in all the articles and news programs I watched.

When you looked at the websites of the universities you were applying to , what numbers did you see in the fee section?

Common sense would tell you that they can't do that. It's a bit like applying to a uni that asked for AAB and then by January they change the requirement to AAA. Do you think that's possible? Of course not. If the unis want to change the entry requirements, they would have to wait until September, when the next lot apply. Same principle applies with fees.

Tough ****, they can do what they want. If they want to increase fees, so be it. If they want to increase course requirements, so be it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending