The Student Room Group

Non-Vocational degree vs Vocational degree?

Which is better and leads to a more employable graduate?
Vocational degree 100% (although i never really knew about them until now)
Reply 2
This is completely upto each individuals opinion and individual circumstances.
You can't tar all the vocational and non vocational subjects with the same brush.

There are other determining factors as well, such as, university prestige, overall finishing grade, do the vocational courses have a placement year?, and if the graduate has any other experience which is valid in their job application.
depends....

if its voacational (medicine)....then very employable
if its vocational ( media/film studies)....then not so much....

if its non-V (history at good uni)....then very employable
if its non V (food tech at a crap uni)....then not so much
Reply 4
Original post by infernalcradle
depends....

What would you say the cut off point if for the good/bad unis? Like when do the good turn bad? Go by league table ranking for simplcity...I'm just wandering, I've seen so many cooments about good bad unis, but never stating what they are.
Vocational. I did a non vocational degree (psychology) and it hasn't helped me get anywhere, I can't even get a job in a care home or in any mental health setting. I'm going back to uni to do occupational therapy (vocational). Obviously you can do a lot more with a non-voc, but it's usually harder to get there.
Original post by bestofyou
What would you say the cut off point if for the good/bad unis? Like when do the good turn bad? Go by league table ranking for simplcity...I'm just wandering, I've seen so many cooments about good bad unis, but never stating what they are.

PERSONALLY.......I'd say anything outside of the top 40 is not so good.....
Reply 7
PERSONALLY.......I'd say anything outside of the top 40 is not so good.....

what about when a uni is in the 20's in one table, then over 40 in an other. Would you still say its good?
Reply 8
Original post by bestofyou
what about when a uni is in the 20's in one table, then over 40 in an other. Would you still say its good?

If it's in a newspaper league table try to ignore it, try to go by 'push.co.uk' or 'complete university guide' or 'uni stats'
Reply 9
Original post by LavenderBlueSky88
Vocational. I did a non vocational degree (psychology) and it hasn't helped me get anywhere, I can't even get a job in a care home or in any mental health setting. I'm going back to uni to do occupational therapy (vocational). Obviously you can do a lot more with a non-voc, but it's usually harder to get there.

Where did you do psychology (at what uni)? And where are you going to study occupational therapy?
ALOT of my friends do psychology, I suppose there's so many more psychology graduates than there is jobs within psychology!
Original post by sophiekatina
Where did you do psychology (at what uni)? And where are you going to study occupational therapy?
ALOT of my friends do psychology, I suppose there's so many more psychology graduates than there is jobs within psychology!

I did it at Swansea, and going to do OT at Cardiff (probably). Yeah, it's stupidly oversubscribed - and there isn't much you can do related to psychology with a Bsc, even assistant posts require a masters and years of experience!
Reply 11
Original post by LavenderBlueSky88
I did it at Swansea, and going to do OT at Cardiff (probably). Yeah, it's stupidly oversubscribed - and there isn't much you can do related to psychology with a Bsc, even assistant posts require a masters and years of experience!

I hope it goes all well for you. Lets hope say God will reward you for spending all that money :wink: ...or karma. Haha!

I am thinking about doing Communications and Media either at Uni of Liverpool where it's solely academic or Birmingham City where it's a mixture of both but they make it so you have to undertake compulsory work experience placements. Birm City is probably more of an employable and more a career-focused route but Liverpool's is more of a say prestige one and not so geared for a media-related career. Hmmm.
Reply 12
depends....

It's more complicated than that, the two choices I have is...

Communication and Media at a Russell Group which is non-vocational
OR
Media and Communications at an Ex-Poly which is vocational but well respected.
Non vocational undergrad.
Vocational postgrad.

Sortedddd.
Reply 14
Original post by Bubbles*de*Milo
Non vocational undergrad.
Vocational postgrad.

Sortedddd.

That is a very good idea, Thank you :biggrin: Lets hope I survive till then...aha!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending