The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by spoinkytheduck
If I was doing the EPQ I was thinking of doing something medical anyway so muchly good.. its decided then! :smile:

Thing is medicine is such a wide area and everything looks interesting.. having slight issues on narrowing down the topic area..!! :tongue:

Find a topic that's important to you or really interests you, possibly something you saw on work experience. I'm doing mine on treatments for motor neuron disease, as my uncle had it, so I've got relatives I can talk to about it.
Reply 901
No one in our school has got any offers for medicine from the uk yet(I live in northern Ireland) , apparently it's just all rejections and our school is a grammar school,last year 7 went on to study medicine ... Pretty scared about applying now.
Original post by Straight up G
Nope. I can get GP work fairly easily, which is what I am planning to do. Hospital work will be a bit more difficult, even though my dad's a consultant.

I will have to start volunteering soon as well. It is a bit late, but I only realised I wanted to do medicine a few weeks ago. My previous choice of course was Economics, where no-one gives a damn about extra-curricular activities, work experience and volunteering.

Cool, you come from a medical background...thats got to be quite helpful im guessing... (i.e you see the effect being a doctor has on your parents, you can possibly get help at home etc etc etc!)

Right now I need to concentrate on getting my grades right. Might start the hospital/GP volunteering sometime in summer I hope!
Reply 903
hey people do you guys think their will be a reduction in number of applicants for 2012 entry due to the high tuition fee rise? so do u think we will have less competition then this year?
Original post by maemg
No one in our school has got any offers for medicine from the uk yet(I live in northern Ireland) , apparently it's just all rejections and our school is a grammar school,last year 7 went on to study medicine ... Pretty scared about applying now.

Hey..I really want to study in Northern Ireland! Just thought id let you know :tongue:
Oh btw do you know how many medical schools there are, there? [I should be researching this :ninja:]
Original post by maemg

I doubt that would be much of an issue for something like 'medicine'.
Maybe other smaller degrees might have less applicants as many would see it as 'not worth it', but for most Medicine applicants, the fee rise wont stop them really because they know they'll be able to earn it back pretty soon... and doing Medicine leads to a stable career path. So, no [unfortunately!].
Original post by ithoughtofthis
Cool, you come from a medical background...thats got to be quite helpful im guessing... (i.e you see the effect being a doctor has on your parents, you can possibly get help at home etc etc etc!)

Right now I need to concentrate on getting my grades right. Might start the hospital/GP volunteering sometime in summer I hope!

It is helpful, but my local health authority has ****loads of guidelines and regulations, so it's not as helpful as you'd think in terms of getting placements. However, building up a medical knowledge is fairly easy.
Original post by Normandy114
Find a topic that's important to you or really interests you, possibly something you saw on work experience. I'm doing mine on treatments for motor neuron disease, as my uncle had it, so I've got relatives I can talk to about it.

Did my work exp. in a minor injuries unit so it was mainly lacerations and broken bones.. interesting to see but dont think I could do a 5000 word project on that..

My parents are deaf, so its something that is quite close to me.. so I considered that.. but I'd love to approach a completely fresh topic that I dont know so much about as I think I'd find it so much more interesting.. its just that there are a lot of topics I dont know much about! :tongue:

I know I'd definately like to look into a condition which is long-term and affects many different areas of life.
Ach, I need to hand in my application (we have to apply at our college, does anyone else have to do this?) soon with a topic for our project (if we get in) I just really dont want to choose something out of haste that I'll regret.. :rolleyes:
Original post by Straight up G
It is helpful, but my local health authority has ****loads of guidelines and regulations, so it's not as helpful as you'd think in terms of getting placements. However, building up a medical knowledge is fairly easy.

My local health authority wont permit work experience unless you are related to a medic who works for them... I did not approve :mad:

I live on a border so its not too hard for me to pop over to the other hospitals.. just feel bad for those who cant really get out of the area..
Original post by Rocketeeer
opps, i'll pretend i never heard that when i watch the show :colondollar:
i wish i had the time to watch them but im in the middle of the exam week,
going back to hong kong in 4 days yey!

umm im doing a lot of that actually, just not officially:s-smilie:

taking the process one step at a time.. umm,
im planning to apply for a student attachment programme as well as booking a UKCAT test during easter, really couldn't think of any other thing to do except to try to get good grades in AS

Ouch, hope exams are going alright for you. :s-smilie:
Oooh, how long you going to HK for?

It should count, even if it's not official.

Yeah, seems like you have it all covered. :smile:
Reply 910
GL all :smile:
Original post by Stegosaurus
I reckon most philosophy students spend their years getting drunk and pretending to be deep and intellectual. Not entirely unlike medics then :tongue:

I think it would shine through in interview that I wasn't interested in biomed science for its own sake, for example.
I am comitted to medicine and if GEM's my only way in then I'll take it, but I'll cross that bridge if and when I come to it :smile:

LOL, that's clearly why we're both interested in medicine and philosophy. :p:

True, but I didn't even realise you got interviews for biomed. :eek:

That's a good attitude to have, although fingers crossed it won't come to GEM. :colondollar:
Reply 912
Original post by ithoughtofthis
Hey..I really want to study in Northern Ireland! Just thought id let you know :tongue:
Oh btw do you know how many medical schools there are, there? [I should be researching this :ninja:]

I,m the opposite it's so boring here,there's only one ,queens university in Belfast .
Original post by thegodofgod
Pretty decent - got 80/100 UMS in Bio1 (A), and 94/100 UMS in Chm1 (A) - Don't do any of the Maths or German units until summer.

How did you do?

Well done!:smile:
I did Core 1- 98, Stats-95
Bio-A and Chem-A
Original post by Fluffy Chuckie
Hehe that's good, I don't know what I would do without my free classes :eek:
Oh ok and yeah doing my A2 this year, I just want a B now Maths is becoming so hard!
Wow you did good! See this is why I have second thoughts on applying :redface:

Aw don't! You'll do brilliantly I'll bet!:smile:
What did you get for GCSE's?
Original post by cz100
Well there is a shopping centre and things and a few clubs that some people like. Everyone here agrees that our town is pretty rubbish but we have fun making fun of how rubbish it is :redface:

Lol, to be fair, who you're friends with is more important than the stuff you do in terms of getting bored. And whining is fun! :awesome:
Anyone see Bang Goes The Theory on BBC1 at 7:30 today? I'd never seen it before but it seems to be a show focussing on biochemistry and it's applications in real life, and that extends to medicine. Today they were initially talking about antibiotics, how they're becoming obsolete, and the ways of replacing them. Quite good from a medical point of view, I'd definitely recommend it.
Original post by spoinkytheduck
My local health authority wont permit work experience unless you are related to a medic who works for them... I did not approve :mad:

I live on a border so its not too hard for me to pop over to the other hospitals.. just feel bad for those who cant really get out of the area..

Wish it was that way here.
Original post by liviaaa
Yes I know what you mean, it's so easy just for the AAA to slip up somewhere :/

I knooooow. :frown: My friend('s friend, but still :p:) had a Hull-York AAA offer... she got a B in Chemistry, ONE UMS off an A. Yeah, she's doing Biomed now... :frown:
Original post by ManicJM
GL all :smile:

Awww, thanks. :smile: Congrats on getting through the process and coming out sane on the other side!

Latest

Trending

Trending