The Student Room Group

As ocr psychology- core studies??

Its madness!!
I mean how da heck am i going to memorise 15 core studies:eek:..
anyone have a clue what core studies will come up on section B?
Any tips for revision?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Hanz_a93
Its madness!!
Any tips for revision?

just wait till you get to A2

there are 72 studies :colone:

dont need to know them in that much detail, but still :colonhash:
Reply 2
Original post by blush.ox
just wait till you get to A2

there are 72 studies :colone:

dont need to know them in that much detail, but still :colonhash:

Are you flipping serious?
**** thats it im keeping history n dropping this ****ty subject instead
Reply 3
I'm just making flash cards for each study. Luckily my psych exam is in June and the rest of my exams are in May so I'm not doing much right now.
Reply 4
Original post by stayd001
I'm just making flash cards for each study. Luckily my psych exam is in June and the rest of my exams are in May so I'm not doing much right now.

Yeah same, i have a good 11 day gap before the core study exam and my previous exam :biggrin:
Reply 5
Are you flipping serious?
**** thats it im keeping history n dropping this ****ty subject instead

sadly i am :lol:
some of them tend to overlap with each other in different sections, but still that leaves you with approx 60-65 maybe, its still madness :banghead: like i said you dont need to remember them in much detail, you just need the general gist, but i cant even get my head around all the psychologist's names and what study goes where in which section :colonhash::colonhash::colonhash:

i would ask your teacher about it before you make any decisions :yep: you might do the course differently to us :dontknow:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 6
Its madness!!
Any tips for revision?

I would reccomend revising the developmental and cognitive approach for Section C, Maguire and Reicher & Haslam for Section B and then briefly revise all other studies.

Also a good technique in the exam is to do the last section first and the first section last, as you only have to focus on one topic in section C and B
Reply 7
wow and I thought Biology was the most memorizy sort of subject, my brain cells were so much more relaxed when I dropped that, but 15 studies that you must memorize? and as the person said above, 72 studies for A2?

I feel sorry for you all, Get memorizing folks!
Reply 8
I have already done AS psychology but the two studies that haven't came up in section B apparently are Reicher and Haslam/Maguire... make of that what you will. Just try and revise them all in as much detail as possible and practise. 15 studies seem daunting to learn but believe me, it's possible.
If you're struggling with anything specific about core studies then feel free to ask and I'll try to help.
Reply 9
Original post by akindrat18
I would reccomend revising the developmental and cognitive approach for Section C, Maguire and Reicher & Haslam for Section B and then briefly revise all other studies.

Also a good technique in the exam is to do the last section first and the first section last, as you only have to focus on one topic in section C and B

Thanks so much!
r u doing as psychology nw or A2 or suttin?
Reply 10
Thanks so much!
r u doing as psychology nw or A2 or suttin?

I'm glad to be of some help.

And yes I'm doing AS Psychology again, i did the A2 psychology exam and failed but it allowed me to take AS Psychology this year than taking it next year.
Reply 11
how likely do you think it is that either reicher and haslam or maguire comes up on section b?
Reply 12
Original post by jessplease
how likely do you think it is that either reicher and haslam or maguire comes up on section b?

It is very likely that both Reicher & Haslam and Maguire will come up on Section B as they haven't came up in the exam at all so far.
Reply 13
every week my psych teacher is telling us its richer and maguire for section B and she seems to be always right:biggrin:. any techniques to remember all the case studies??
can someone make a list of everything we need to know for each study e.g sample etc. so i aint revising unnessasary ****
Reply 14
Milgram came up in January 2009. This was my mock exam so i am hoping it comes up on the real thing... Reicher and Haslam has never come up apparantly, hoping it doesn't this year though I hate that one.
Most of the studies you need for AS level are really interesting in terms of ethics or the findings. Try and find out about them using videos to remember the studies factually (this for example), and then the harder part is understanding the flaws in the experiment design for section B.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 16
My teacher gave me a good technique for getting full marks on part e and f for section B

Say what the problem is of the study
Say why it's a problem
Say what you would do to improve it
Say how you would improve it
Say a strength of the improvement
Say a weakness of the improvement

Also i find it useful to do the B,A,M,D,S,P,F,E technique for each study
Reply 17
do the B,A,M,D,S,P,F,E technique for each study
??????????????
Reply 18
My teacher gave me a good technique for getting full marks on part e and f for section B

Say what the problem is of the study
Say why it's a problem
Say what you would do to improve it
Say how you would improve it
Say a strength of the improvement
Say a weakness of the improvement

Also i find it useful to do the B,A,M,D,S,P,F,E technique for each study

thanks for that (Y)
and what do each of the letters stand for?
Reply 19
What is an alternative method or improvement for reicher and haslam? this is like the worst study to understand and remember everything for :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest