The Student Room Group

Do you keep in touch or Am I just uptight?

My university life is going to end in less than a 2 months. Please keep anon as they are on here.

I thought about this- I am not going exactly going to keep regular contact. If I see them on a street, and they say "hi". I will respond for civilities. I have no intention on my part certainly to keep contact. I might have them facebook and that is about it. It is similar scenario to my college and high school- I have them on facebook, I do have some of their phone numbers (or use to) but I never kept in contact or even made the effort to. I have been on a few occasion nights out with them. That is about it.
I think that is probably same with my university friends.

My college and highschool friends - there was never a concept of "togetherness".

When I went to university- there is that concept of "togetherness". They want to keep in contact, invite each other to their wedding etc.. To me that is a bit too much.

To me, they are friends and there is that line between me and them. I talk to them cos I have to otherwise I would be a loner.

For me, I don't see a problem, and I am not being uptight.
Reply 1
It's always better to known 1 extra friend than be a stranger to an extra person.

You will find once you are out in the working world that contacts and networking gets you places.
It's a terrible feeling for the person who puts both feet into a relationship, be it sexual or friendly, when the other person just puts one foot in, just consider that

I think you should open up a bit more because you're not likely to make much better friends than those you will have met at university
Sounds like a lonely life :frown:

So you don't have any friends who you like enough to want to keep in your life?
Reply 4
Original post by Refrigerator
It's a terrible feeling for the person who puts both feet into a relationship, be it sexual or friendly, when the other person just puts one foot in, just consider that

I think you should open up a bit more because you're not likely to make much better friends than those you will have met at university

To me they are close. It makes me feel uncomfortable. They are nice people with some flaws therefore I am very wary.

I find the whole concept of closeness very bizarre.
Reply 5
Original post by Jellybean91
Sounds like a lonely life :frown:

So you don't have any friends who you like enough to want to keep in your life?

I admit I do feel lonely.It gets to me at times. I am human and I do feel quite emotional. I put myself together. I am me.

I find it difficult to let people in. I have known people since I was a kid, and I keep them at a distance behind the line. At times, I have tried to bring them closer, it made me feel very negative. I had to lie and it became quite compulsive. I found I put that line further away.

It is difficult. I would rather put them at a distance than closer...
Original post by Anonymous
To me they are close. It makes me feel uncomfortable. They are nice people with some flaws therefore I am very wary.

I find the whole concept of closeness very bizarre.

If you're happy without being close to anyone, then that's fine, but I think this is gonna cause you problems eventually
Reply 7
Original post by Refrigerator
If you're happy without being close to anyone, then that's fine, but I think this is gonna cause you problems eventually

I do think it will cause me problems- obviously networking for opportunity purposes.
Reply 8
Original post by Iorek
It's always better to known 1 extra friend than be a stranger to an extra person.

You will find once you are out in the working world that contacts and networking gets you places.

I suppose your right... I will keep in contact but not regular contact. I will use them when I need to..

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending