The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Unbiased Opinion
LOL, that's clearly why we're both interested in medicine and philosophy. :p:

True, but I didn't even realise you got interviews for biomed. :eek:

That's a good attitude to have, although fingers crossed it won't come to GEM. :colondollar:

Why else would you want to go to uni other than to be inebriated and pretentious? :wink:

Well I know Bradford interviews for biomed, but I'm not that well up on who does and who doesn't.

Fingers crossed that it won't for any of us :crossedf:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 921
Original post by Straight up G
nope. some unis completely discount the 4th A level, most unis don't care. A few, most specifically Cambridge, would prefer 4 (normally 3 sciences plus maths).

Imperial would probably be the most "highly ranked uni" I'm applying to

Do you think they would be okay with 3.5?

Im hoping to get my predicted AAAA at AS and then if i drop FM I will have more time to focus on chem and bio but also time for 1.5 Maths A Level!

Original post by itsrayray:)
Well done!:smile:
I did Core 1- 98, Stats-95
Bio-A and Chem-A

That's amazing lol

We're just having our Maths mocks now - had C1 on Thursday, S1 today and C2 tomorrow.
Original post by t_star
Imperial would probably be the most "highly ranked uni" I'm applying to

Do you think they would be okay with 3.5?

Im hoping to get my predicted AAAA at AS and then if i drop FM I will have more time to focus on chem and bio but also time for 1.5 Maths A Level!

Whats the 1.5?

From Imperial website;
'The minimum entry requirements for this course are three A-levels, including Chemistry and/or Biology and one science or mathematics subject, and one additional subject at AS-level. If either Chemistry or Biology is offered alone at A-level, then the other is required at AS-level with at least a grade B.

Our normal offer is for grades AAA in three A-levels and B in the AS-level. For candidates offering four A-levels our normal offer is AAAC. Vocational A and AS-levels are not acceptable and general studies will not be accepted at any level.

All applicants must have the following subjects at GCSE level, at grades AAABB or above (in any order): Biology (or Human Biology), Chemistry, English Language, Mathematics (or Additional Mathematics or Statistics), Physics. The Science double award may substitute all sciences at GCSE.'

The fact that their offer for 4 A levels is 'AAAC' means that they probably don't care that much about your fourth A level. Plus the sentence before that. It's from this webpage;
http://www3.imperial.ac.uk/ugprospectus/facultiesanddepartments/medicine/mbbsmedicine/entryrequirements
Reply 924
I knooooow. :frown: My friend('s friend, but still :p:) had a Hull-York AAA offer... she got a B in Chemistry, ONE UMS off an A. Yeah, she's doing Biomed now... :frown:

I can imagine how devestating that must be :/

--

What is everyone putting as their 5th option? And say for example you put biomed, would you actually want to do that course, or just want it as a back up?

Personally I would prefer to do a nursing/midwifery degree than something like biomed which appears to be all the people who didn't quite make the med school.

I feel sorry for people who just apply for biomed as they really want to do that, as they have all the unessecary competition from med students, who don't really want it that much!
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by liviaaa
I can imagine how devestating that must be :/

--

What is everyone putting as their 5th option? And say for example you put biomed, would you actually want to do that course, or just want it as a back up?

Personally I would prefer to do a nursing/midwifery degree than something like biomed which appears to be all the people who didn't quite make the med school.

I feel sorry for people who just apply for biomed as they really want to do that, as they have all the unessecary competition from med students, who don't really want it that much!

Hello,

5th choice will be natural sciences at UCL
medicine choices,
1-cambridge
2- Imperial
3- leicester
4- Notts
:biggrin:
Good luck for next year guys! I can't tell you what a stressful year this has been :tongue: If anyone wants any info on Birmingham, Cardiff, Kings or Edinburgh just give me a bell :smile:
Reply 927
Original post by sagarkanabar10
Hello,

5th choice will be natural sciences at UCL
medicine choices,
1-cambridge
2- Imperial
3- leicester
4- Notts
:biggrin:

Okay cool :smile: I'm thinking about Imperial and Nottingham too!

What GCSE's did you get, and what a levels do you take? (Just interested haha).

Spoiler

Bio, chem maths and economics :smile:
check my spoiler
Reply 931
Bio, chem maths and economics :smile:

Okay cool! I do maths, bio, chem, psychology.

Just out of interest saying as you haven't even done your AS's yet, how are you predicted 3 A*'s, 1 A at A2?
Original post by liviaaa
Okay cool! I do maths, bio, chem, psychology.

Just out of interest saying as you haven't even done your AS's yet, how are you predicted 3 A*'s, 1 A at A2?

Teachers prediction based on current performance :smile:
Reply 933
Teachers prediction based on current performance :smile:

Oh okay :smile: Our school works differently then, as we don't get our A2 predictions until next year/as soon as our AS' come out!
Original post by liviaaa
Oh okay :smile: Our school works differently then, as we don't get our A2 predictions until next year/as soon as our AS' come out!

Yeah same with us - we get our predictions as soon as August results come out :s-smilie:
Reply 935
Original post by Straight up G
Whats the 1.5?

From Imperial website;
'The minimum entry requirements for this course are three A-levels, including Chemistry and/or Biology and one science or mathematics subject, and one additional subject at AS-level. If either Chemistry or Biology is offered alone at A-level, then the other is required at AS-level with at least a grade B.

Our normal offer is for grades AAA in three A-levels and B in the AS-level. For candidates offering four A-levels our normal offer is AAAC. Vocational A and AS-levels are not acceptable and general studies will not be accepted at any level.

All applicants must have the following subjects at GCSE level, at grades AAABB or above (in any order): Biology (or Human Biology), Chemistry, English Language, Mathematics (or Additional Mathematics or Statistics), Physics. The Science double award may substitute all sciences at GCSE.'

The fact that their offer for 4 A levels is 'AAAC' means that they probably don't care that much about your fourth A level. Plus the sentence before that. It's from this webpage;
http://www3.imperial.ac.uk/ugprospectus/facultiesanddepartments/medicine/mbbsmedicine/entryrequirements

Thanks for that info...I was just worried, i guess I got scared when i met this guy who had 3 A*'s and still didnt get in he had relevant work experience, confident guy!

1.5 is basically a regular Maths A Level but I think we take 3 extra modules in order to get half an A Level

So we have already taken C1 C2 S1 in Jan and we are taking Fp1 and C3 in June
Original post by t_star
Thanks for that info...I was just worried, i guess I got scared when i met this guy who had 3 A*'s and still didnt get in he had relevant work experience, confident guy!

1.5 is basically a regular Maths A Level but I think we take 3 extra modules in order to get half an A Level

So we have already taken C1 C2 S1 in Jan and we are taking Fp1 and C3 in June

So its basically Maths A level (a2+ AS) + Maths AS? That's not going to work to your advantage really, it seems like a further maths situation, but if you can cope with it, by all means. I know someone who got offered A*AAAa by Emma, Cambridge this year, with the 'a' in Further Maths AS, so sometimes it might just make the difference.
Reply 937
Awww, thanks. :smile: Congrats on getting through the process and coming out sane on the other side!

If you have any questions or need advice drop me a PM :smile:
Anyone here doing St John Ambulance? :smile:
Reply 939
Original post by liviaaa
Okay cool :smile: I'm thinking about Imperial and Nottingham too!

What GCSE's did you get, and what a levels do you take? (Just interested haha).

I wouldn't apply to imperial, as you got to do an extra admissions test after you apply, and they take it really seriously. If you mess up, you've already wasted one place.

Latest