The Student Room Group

What do you think guy's when you see this...

Scroll to see replies

Got a hi-res?
Reply 21
I think... the grim North...
Original post by JCC-MGS
I start imagining the possibilities if you filled that burner to the brim with marijuana.

Best idea so far! :bong:
Reply 23
What the hell is the last option about?
Reply 24
I think the photographer is a pretentious dickwad and should have taken it the picture in colour
I think of all those electric cars sucking power from the national grid. Unless we stop the inexorable rise in human population there is nothing we can do. The planet is in recovery from its last ice age, hence the warming we are experiencing and the reduction of global ice levels. Just like the 15 ice-ages there have been in the last 2m years, there will be another. In 10-20,000 years or more the warming will reverse and the planet will go the other way, as it does, and has done since it stabilised after its formation within the solar system. The effect of our nearby star upon the vast oceans of this planet will continue and get worse, as The Sun inexorably heats up as it heads towards its natural demise, becoming a red giant then decaying into a white dwarf, before collapsing and exploding. Well, that is, unless the predicted collision of the Milky Way and Andromeda in 3bn years doesn't smash us into tiny pieces first. As intelligent beings we should indeed attempt to protect our beautiful world, but ultimately we will all perish, and there will be nothing we can do about it, and it will have nothing to do with us.

Getting back to that picture, this makes me sadder.....

...as just 15 of those cause more pollution than all 730m of these worldwide....

....but no-one ever mentions upping import taxation or becoming more reliant on localised manufacturing to reduce the need for commercial shipping. Mainly because most shipping companies are owned by billionaires and they have politicians in their back pockets.
Original post by Kodias
Those were some nice options to choose from in the poll OP...

Water vapour, from burning coal? Are you kidding?

Pretty sure they're cooling towers brah.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 27
Original post by The Question
Pretty sure they're cooling towers brah.

It isn't a nuclear facility, it's a coal power station.

Anyway, OP is clearly talking about coal.

http://www.nyu.edu/sustainability/campus.projects/nyunplugged/energy.nyu.html
http://understory.ran.org/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/CoalPlant-PhotoByDavipt.jpg
Reply 28

Doesn't stop the chimneys in the picture being cooling towers though.
Reply 29
Original post by moonkatt
Doesn't stop the chimneys in the picture being cooling towers though.

I don't believe I ever said they weren't cooling towers.
Reply 30
the big cooling tower is actually watter vapour comming out the top

only those tow tall chimneys are smoke
Original post by Kodias
Those were some nice options to choose from in the poll OP...

I was not kidding. That is what I actually thought when I saw that picture.
Reply 32
When I see that picture, I think of the hospitals it keeps up and running. I think of a population whose power it is keeping sheltered and fed. Maybe you should even think of that too, and the power it's providing your computer so you can come here and complain about it.
Reply 33
Original post by BlackpoollasVegas

it's sad because the earth has already been heavily polluted and instead of people realizing we need to emit less pollution, in fact coal burning is on the rise and more coal is being burned now more than ever

Abomination.:facepalm:
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by Datbreh
Abomination.:facepalm:

Whats an abomination sweetheart?
Reply 35

it's sad because the earth has already been heavily polluted and instead of people realizing we need to emit less pollution, in fact coal burning is on the rise and more coal is being burned now more than ever

I think- none of the above. My first thought was 'What an awesome photo!'
Reply 36
When I see that title. I think.. BAD GRAMMAR :hi:
Original post by emilymay
I think- none of the above. My first thought was 'What an awesome photo!'

Do you really how much these smokestack (factories) in the picture have and continue to contribute to global warming? They are constantly burning coal, polluting the skies, making the air dirty, and they never stop, not even for a damn second they are constantly belching out smoke non stop.

You do realize that the ice caps such as the north pole and other glaciers have already melted and what is left is hanging on by a thread but is only a matter of time before they collapse to. maybe 2-3years maximum

Its people like you who don't give a damn who are responsible for the sad destruction of the earth and the bad state its in now. i hope you don't have 10kids?:angry:
Reply 38
Original post by Kodias

The wide cooling towers are just giving off water vapour. This is because the coal/gas which is burnt heats up water into steam which then powers a turbine connected to a generator that creates the electricity.

The spindley chimneys on the right are giving off co2 and carbon particulates aswell as water vapour- which are the products of the combustion of the fuel. While it would appear that the plant is giving off a **** load of pollution, in reality the only damage is from the relativley smaller chimneys, which contribute to acid rain and global warming.
Reply 39

Even if we stopped releasing CO2 now global warming would still happen according to the current models as it's not reabsorbed fast enough. The world has heated up before and was probably on a path to much hotter even before we came along and sped it up; we'll be fine, some people will suffer and we should try and help them but banning things like that coal station would cause immediate massive damage! Also, who knows, the climate's so complex with the butterfly effect etc. that it could all go the other way! I'm pretty sure I'm right in saying that the climate hasn't heated up in a decade?!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending