The Student Room Group
City campus, Sheffield Hallam University
Sheffield Hallam University
Sheffield
Visit website

Is Sheffield Hallam regarded as a good University?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by ForgetAboutIt.
Yeah so you could say on average taking into account those two league tables (which are supposed to be the most reliable ones) that it ranks roughly 25th for mathematics; which is still very respectable in my humble opinion. :rolleyes:

lol, that's the thing. If you ask most people on TSR they'd say the Times and Independent are the most "reliable" tables and the Guardian is "a joke". There's only three, in terms of subject tables anyway.

In truth the Independent's or Times isn't more reliable than the Guardian's. It's not like any are being untruthful or deceiving. They're all reliable, in that they rank universities according to the criteria they feel is important. It's just the criteria and weighting used can be question (so too the mindset of people who think higher education really is some league table ladder).

I'm not dissing Hallam. It remains that, using the criteria the Guardian use, they find it a fairly good maths department.

Therefore I believe as many have said before me that university rankings do not count for everything when applying for a graduate job, you will find more often than not it is the strength of the degree you posess.

The university rankings themselves don't usually, no, as employers don't sit there every year with the new league table and carefully obssess over ever position and hairline difference (which some on TSR believe they do). Man will be largely ignorant of the tables, though this isn't to say a certain number of employers don't show some preference. But it is true that a degree alone will never get you a job.
City campus, Sheffield Hallam University
Sheffield Hallam University
Sheffield
Visit website
Reply 21
Original post by Alexisonfire

Original post by Alexisonfire
No. There's even a better uni in the same city.
Just no.

Yeah but the University of Sheffield doesn't do Media Studies or Film Studies.
Reply 22
one of the worst "universities" in the country and, indeed, the world. plus, "media" is not a recognized academic discipline.

FAIL.
Reply 23
Original post by renjie

Original post by renjie
one of the worst "universities" in the country and, indeed, the world. plus, "media" is not a recognized academic discipline.

FAIL.

What is that based upon? It's obviously not one of the worst universities in the world. Media may not be an academic subject, but it's much more relevant to real life than maths (who uses equations in their lives EVER!?). It's relevant to a career in the media.
Reply 24
haha, i can't believe this js even a question!

ill try to say this in the nicest possible way:
you're applying to a expoly, obviously its crap!

to study maths you need a calculator, to study chemistry you need a periodic table and to study media you need heat magazine :wink:
Reply 25
Original post by renjie

FAIL.

:lol: totally agree!
Original post by hypocriticaljap
Varsity rugby chant from Sheff uni fans

"Give us a D
Give us a D
Give us an E
What you got?

Sheff Hallam's entry requirements..."

:lolwut: Normally you need at least CCC-BBC to get onto a course at Sheffield Hallam. Probably just a bit of banter, but if people take it seriously... my god.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by torchwood

to study maths you need a calculator, to study chemistry you need a periodic table and to study media you need heat magazine :wink:

You really have no idea what you are talking about. Just because you see "ex-polytechnic" doesn't automatically mean it is a crap place to go.

The top unis in the country aren't perfect at everything, I've seen some ex-poly uni departments rated more highly than the equivalent department in some Russell group unis (I believe Manchester Metropolitan's Psychology dept is ranked higher than Manchester University's according to one league table I saw, if memory serves me right). Different places have different strengths.
Reply 28
It's alright, but when you put Media with it...

How dare you?

Ex poly ain't all that crap.

I personally would go to Sheffield Hallam than going to Glasgow. :P
I am not saying Glasgow is bad, by the way, I just don't like being up north. lol

If you were serious, to study Media you need more than just Heat Magazine. :smile:
To study Dentistry though, you need teeth. :smile:
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 30
Original post by NeonSkies
You really have no idea what you are talking about. Just because you see "ex-polytechnic" doesn't automatically mean it is a crap place to go.

The top unis in the country aren't perfect at everything, I've seen some ex-poly uni departments rated more highly than the equivalent department in some Russell group unis (I believe Manchester Metropolitan's Psychology dept is ranked higher than Manchester University's according to one league table I saw, if memory serves me right). Different places have different strengths.

actually expoly does mean its a crap institution (i don't want to call it a university)

stats used in league tables can be manipulated, i strongly disagree with Manchester met being superior to Manchester university, but if you want you can imagine its better :smile:
actually expoly does mean its a crap institution (i don't want to call it a university)

stats used in league tables can be manipulated, i strongly disagree with Manchester met being superior to Manchester university, but if you want you can imagine its better :smile:

I never said overall it is better, I said their Psychology department has been rated better in league tables (the Guardian's to be precise). If you read my post properly you would understand this. Having a crap department for the subject you want to study and being fantastic at English for example isn't exactly going to help you personally is it?

I'm quite glad I'm not going to a Russell group uni if they are full of ignorant snobs such as yourself, ex-polys must be full of more relaxed happy people which is cool :smile:

It's also interesting how you say "league tables can be manipulated" when it is people like you who rigidly believe everything they say when it works in your favour i.e. putting the unis you have applied to near the top. You can't pick and choose.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 32
Original post by street.lovin'
How dare you?

Ex poly ain't all that crap.

I personally would go to Sheffield Hallam than going to Glasgow. :P
I am not saying Glasgow is bad, by the way, I just don't like being up north. lol

If you were serious, to study Media you need more than just Heat Magazine. :smile:
To study Dentistry though, you need teeth. :smile:

in what universe is sheffield hallam better than glasgow?

just compare the entry requirements between media and dentistry, it is hugely difficult to get a place for dentistry whereas there are many places for media in clearing every year

btw did you go to an expoly?
in what universe is sheffield hallam better than glasgow?

just compare the entry requirements between media and dentistry, it is hugely difficult to get a place for dentistry whereas there are many places for media in clearing every year

btw did you go to an expoly?

It's in a better location. lol.... I already said that I hate being up north in Scotland. :smile:
The unviersity of Glasgow itself is not bad at all.

I was not comparing the entry requirement between those two courses, I was not suggesting Dentistry or Media is mroe competitive than another. I was just, like you, stating what you need for each course.

Surely when you do Dentistry, you need teeth. :K:
Reply 34
It's in a better location. lol.... I already said that I hate being up north in Scotland. :smile:

I was not comparing the entry requirement between those two courses, I was not suggesting Dentistry or Media is mroe competitive than another. I was just, like you, stating what you need for each course.

haha obviously you need teeth, as well as heads for anatomy, what's your point?
Reply 35

Broken record much.
haha obviously you need teeth, as well as heads for anatomy, what's your point?

Well, what was your point for suggesting to do Maths you need calculator? :P
Same point.
Original post by Linweth
Broken record much.

You negged me. :smile:
Reply 38
You negged me. :smile:

No ****.
Reply 39
Well, what was your point for suggesting to do Maths you need calculator? :P
Same point.

i was just building up to heat magazine for media, i thought that would have been obvious

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending