The Student Room Group

Guys: Taking a hint...

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by INeedToLoseWeight
Like if we don't reply to your texts we aren't interested so stop texting!

All guys dont do this, i for one will never sink to a double-text, not even with my girlfriend.

I like the other person to reply or i just think im pestering them
Original post by emmi_lou
As the title suggests, what's up with you guys and taking a hint??

If it's not "please leave me alone" or "i really want to see you" no matter how hard we try, you guys never seem to pick up on a hint.....

Is this down to just bad hint giving skills, or just an inability to recognise them???

I completely agree! There's this guy I've know for 3 years, and we've slept together, not sex but slept together before, several times, on holiday and at his house. Gotten drunk together and no matter how BIG the hint I give is, he never gets it. All I ever hear is about some other lass, I'm close with his mum and she was on about it last time I saw her. I mean, she doesn't know how much I like this guy, but he did, and he used to feel the same, but I was just turned 16 at the time, and too scared to do anything, and then I'd waited too long. But I know he felt something do, perhaps, because, although we were drunk, we did make out, and idk, perhaps something in the way he held me that night we slept together? Hmm difficult but still, I think something may remain there. I hate them not getting hints, I talk to him pretty much every day too. It sucks :frown:
i would but like i've mentioned previously you start to feel a bit of a nag cos it's always me that suggests doing something, and as i'm sure you'll know sometimes it's nice from it to come from someone else and not always you... :colondollar:

Well in that case you just have to say to him exactly what you have said to me.

You would like him to take the upper hand and be more proactive in suggesting places and times to meet, you've been hinting because you don't want to appear a nag. If you just say that you would like him suggest things without having to hint or nag, just say it.
Reply 63
Original post by Anonymous
I completely agree! There's this guy I've know for 3 years, and we've slept together, not sex but slept together before, several times, on holiday and at his house. Gotten drunk together and no matter how BIG the hint I give is, he never gets it. All I ever hear is about some other lass, I'm close with his mum and she was on about it last time I saw her. I mean, she doesn't know how much I like this guy, but he did, and he used to feel the same, but I was just turned 16 at the time, and too scared to do anything, and then I'd waited too long. But I know he felt something do, perhaps, because, although we were drunk, we did make out, and idk, perhaps something in the way he held me that night we slept together? Hmm difficult but still, I think something may remain there. I hate them not getting hints, I talk to him pretty much every day too. It sucks :frown:

awww no way.. 3 YEARS!! WOW! you must have the patience of a saint...

this is the worst kind of hinting but getting nowhere, been in a similar situation myself a few times, but never lasted so long...
Bad hinting skills.

:facepalm2:

Stop dropping hints and jump him then.
Reply 66
Original post by Eveiebaby
Well in that case you just have to say to him exactly what you have said to me.

You would like him to take the upper hand and be more proactive in suggesting places and times to meet, you've been hinting because you don't want to appear a nag. If you just say that you would like him suggest things without having to hint or nag, just say it.

you're right, suppose that's the only way forward......

doesn't make it any less irritating though haha :biggrin:
Reply 67
Original post by CB91
Bad hinting skills.

what in your personal opinion then CB91 what make good hinting skills?? lol :tongue:
Original post by The Stig
Guys are not not mind readers you know!

..........He says while thinking about: Charizard, blue crayons, a mars bar and jackie chan.
Reply 69
suppose this one example of many... not the best but it is one...

Hi, I do get you.
Sometimes us guys are nervous or lost for words... We are either too shy to say anything or we don't know what to say at all.

I really wish it didn't happen, but it does.
awww no way.. 3 YEARS!! WOW! you must have the patience of a saint...

this is the worst kind of hinting but getting nowhere, been in a similar situation myself a few times, but never lasted so long...

Indeed, it's cos stuff kept happening, and then didn't for a while, and then did again. It's doing my head in and driving me insane, like he should just make up his mind already :frown:
Original post by CB91
:facepalm2:

Stop dropping hints and jump him then.

Have you actually read the above? How much more clear does he need me to be???!!!
Reply 72

Maybe him not making a move is a hint in itself. Maybe he just doesn't feel about you that way anymore. Maybe you should take the hint that he doesn't want to be anything more than friends?

God I hate girls who whinge about men being passive, then will rip too shreds any bloke they don't like for being too forward by branding them 'creepy' etc. blah blah

Such old fashioned double standard nonsense. If you like him, tell him. If he doesn't reciprocate then maybe your just not as desirable and irresistible as you think you are.....
Reply 73
Original post by Josh_Dey
Hi, I do get you.
Sometimes us guys are nervous or lost for words... We are either too shy to say anything or we don't know what to say at all.

I really wish it didn't happen, but it does.

I wish it wouldn't happen either, would save a lot of trouble in life i suppose haha
what in your personal opinion then CB91 what make good hinting skills?? lol :tongue:

"Can I have your number?"
"Do you want to go out sometime?"

Rather than:

"Can you help me with this homework?"

Just say what you mean.
Have you actually read the above? How much more clear does he need me to be???!!!

Obviously not clear enough. Tell him how you feel, rather than hoping he picks up on it.
As the title suggests, what's up with you guys and taking a hint??

If it's not "please leave me alone" or "i really want to see you" no matter how hard we try, you guys never seem to pick up on a hint.....

Is this down to just bad hint giving skills, or just an inability to recognise them???

THis is a life lesson for you OP

Guys do not get subtle hints
Guys do not get plain hints
Guys do not get direct hints
Guys do not get strong hints
Guys do not get sledgehammer to the face hints
Guys do not get jumpshock leads to the balls hints

Just bloody say it - sod the hints just say it.

i know that but all i'm saying is how blindingly obvious does the hint have to be before it's recognised?

stop dropping hints then problem solved. Just.say.it.

same thing i say to you - stop dropping hints and just say it.
Reply 77
Original post by SensiDub
Maybe him not making a move is a hint in itself. Maybe he just doesn't feel about you that way anymore. Maybe you should take the hint that he doesn't want to be anything more than friends?

God I hate girls who whinge about men being passive, then will rip too shreds any bloke they don't like for being too forward by branding them 'creepy' etc. blah blah

Such old fashioned double standard nonsense. If you like him, tell him. If he doesn't reciprocate then maybe your just not as desirable and irresistible as you think you are.....

ouch :/

in the girl's defense i don't recall her ever saying or "hinting" that she was desirable nor irresistable
Reply 78
i wouldn't say just outright kiss a girl i get that, but if a girl is giving definite hints and signs she does like you, then an innocent peck on the cheek would be the way to go, it's a kinda go between of a hug and a full on kiss on the lips, and probably less likely to be received by a slap...

but it boils down to the fact use girls don't always want to have to say what we want, then it seems like we're nagging and it gets us nowhere.....

I kinda disagree. I like verbal sparring and word play for banter but if I generally want something/something is irritating me I'll say so outright. And how is it nagging unless you say it more than once? Nothing wrong with being blunt, as long as you're tactful enough about it so as not to end up sounding like a betch. :biggrin:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 79
Original post by CB91
"Can I have your number?"
"Do you want to go out sometime?"

Rather than:

"Can you help me with this homework?"

Just say what you mean.

sometimes easier said than done when you want the other person to make an effort too so hint hoping they'll get the message and take action....

Quick Reply