The Student Room Group

2012 Medicine Re-Applicants Mark I

Scroll to see replies

Hey, when are you guys thinking of starting to edit your PS? :P

Question:
In your PS, do you write in future tense, what you will be doing in your gap year?
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by dariadaphne
No ... I've applied to St. Andrews, Aberdeen, Dundee and Oxford (Brasenose College) ... But St Andrews was my top choice and I really loved it there :frown: Yeah, I was lucky that I had my friends and family to support me and keep telling me that maybe it's for the better and that this year will really make a difference and help me become a better doctor :biggrin: Where did you apply ? Did they tell you why they rejected you ? :frown: I think the reason for mine was the UKCAT (630) but I don't know for sure since I haven't received my feedback yet :frown:

Ahh cool. Yeah, I think so too, I believe everything happens for a reason. I think it will definitely make us better applicants, so long we get the grades :wink:
I applied to St.Georges [rejected post interview, regret applying there], Liverpool [rejected post interview], Imperial [S1 score too low], Bristol [rejection]
I still haven't got feedback from Liverpool, but I'm thinking my interview score was too low. :redface: Though, I still need to ask for feedback! This year, L'pool have some reserve list, so if someone who's got a conditional offer doesn't meet their grades, the reserve list will be activated. Although, I'm not counting on that because it seems everyone who got rejected post-interview is on that list. They've hardly given us any information about it, whether this reserve list is ranked etc, so I'm not really counting on it...

Why did you get rejected from your other choices? arghh, UKCAT is the most irritating test, ever! :rolleyes:
Original post by Phenylethylamine_

Hey, when are you guys thinking of to start editing your PS? :P

Question:
In your PS, do you write in future tense, what you will be doing in your gap year?

Hi, silent stalking until have something useful to say :h:

I started editing my PS over summer and got it done early september-ish.. there's absolutely no rush at this point :nah:

Be careful of using too much future tense, it's a good idea to mention what you plan to do on your gap year.. but make sure you talk a lot about stuff you have done otherwise it can be really risky on how they will look at it.

I suppose you need to find the balance so that you have talked a little bit about what you plan to do on your gap year.. whilst also had plenty of time to talk about the work experience you've done and everything else :yep:
Original post by Penguinsaysquack
Hi, silent stalking until have something useful to say :h:

I started editing my PS over summer and got it done early september-ish.. there's absolutely no rush at this point :nah:

Be careful of using too much future tense, it's a good idea to mention what you plan to do on your gap year.. but make sure you talk a lot about stuff you have done otherwise it can be really risky on how they will look at it.

I suppose you need to find the balance so that you have talked a little bit about what you plan to do on your gap year.. whilst also had plenty of time to talk about the work experience you've done and everything else :yep:

You again! Ahhh I see, thanks once again :biggrin: Yeah, I was thinking to start in the summer too, gotta start practicing for UKCAT again :/ ughhh. I see, I think I have a substantial amount of work experience already, so that should be fine, but need to start volunteering at the hospital and care home again, but atm, I'm just focusing on exams.

So, you must be as I take it chilling? :P :wink:

EDIT: I think it's substantial enough, but do you think generally it's enough?
6 months hospital volunteer (1 week in medical assessment unit and the rest in an elderly ward) 6 months volunteering at British Heart Foundation, 1 week volunteered at Breast Cancer Care [main office in C.London], about 7/8 months volunteering at a care home.
(edited 12 years ago)
You again! Ahhh I see, thanks once again :biggrin: Yeah, I was thinking to start in the summer too, gotta start practicing for UKCAT again :/ ughhh. I see, I think I have a substantial amount of work experience already, so that should be fine, but need to start volunteering at the hospital and care home again, but atm, I'm just focusing on exams.

So, you must be as I take it chilling? :P :wink:

Did you not want to see me? :sad:
I suppose at this stage you really want to be getting feedback as to why you were rejected.. they might make PS suggestions if they are feeling nice/are sheffield :yep:

Yeah you should focus on exams for the time being at least :h:

You could say that :lazy:
Yeah I'm just earning more money and getting things like health questionnaire sorted.. slowly :lol:

And spending a lot of time on TSR too of course :sexface:

And spending a lot of time on TSR too of course :sexface:

I can see that ... Your 2011 re-applicants thread is buzzing ... (why isn't there a jealous sign ? :frown: i'm gonna use this one instead :grr: ) :colone:

Why did you get rejected from your other choices? arghh, UKCAT is the most irritating test, ever! :rolleyes:

:frown: So sorry :frown: I don't know yet, I'll just have to wait until my feedback letters arrive ... Hopefully, with some suggestions as well :colone: Have you thought about where you want to apply this year ? I'm currently visiting websites and trying to make up my mind ... Though I'll have the last say when I get my UKCAT results :frown: Hopefully, this year will be better ::cool:
I can see that ... Your 2011 re-applicants thread is buzzing ... (why isn't there a jealous sign ? :frown: i'm gonna use this one instead :grr: ) :colone:

And it still isn't like the busiest it's ever been.. see why we reached 28000 posts so far?
See why you have big shoes to fill? :wink:

You could try :sigh: or maybe :unimpressed: or even :moon:
And it still isn't like the busiest it's ever been.. see why we reached 28000 posts so far?
See why you have big shoes to fill? :wink:

You could try :sigh: or maybe :unimpressed: or even :moon:

I'm gonna stick to the blue one ... Things are cuter when they're blue :colone: And I couldn't use :unimpressed: since I am impressed ... Though I don't like to admit it :rolleyes: 28000 ? :erm: just found a mini-penguin on the smiley list --> :pingu: :colondollar:
Reply 369
Hey, when are you guys thinking of starting to edit your PS? :P

Question:

I don't knowww - its so tempting to do it noww, but I know there's no point. I don't have anything new to add to it yet :P

Got to get some more work experience and voluntary work first :/

Ahhhh, and a job :frown: A real life grownup job :frown:

I'm gonna stick to the blue one ... Things are cuter when they're blue :colone: And I couldn't use :unimpressed: since I am impressed ... Though I don't like to admit it :rolleyes: 28000 ? :erm: just found a mini-penguin on the smiley list --> :pingu: :colondollar:

Haha fair enough :h:
Well we are on mark III atm and nearing 8000.. so nearly 28000 posts :lol:

Ahh good ole Pingu.. I remember watching that show when I was young :moon:

We also have :penguin: :penguinhug: on the list and my least fav emote: :diep: :cry2:
Haha fair enough :h:
Well we are on mark III atm and nearing 8000.. so nearly 28000 posts :lol:

Ahh good ole Pingu.. I remember watching that show when I was young :moon:

We also have :penguin: :penguinhug: on the list and my least fav emote: :diep: :cry2:

Ahaha :smile:) I found that :diep: first, but I didn't want to put it ... Thought it might hurt your feelings :frown: But the penguin hug is actually kinda cute :colondollar: :penguinhug: these penguins are so adorable :love:

I didn't see that show :s-smilie: But I did see all on Cartoon Network though ... :colone: Too much free time growing up

(i used to do this whenever I saw the video :macarena: )

p.s they have smileys for everything around here :rolleyes:
Ah I :love: the penguins smilies! Can't remember the code for them though while on my iPhone :frown:

I've already got one of my four choices chosen which was myfirst choice last year but I couldn't apply due to ****ty ukcat :|
Also:

Just applied for a 'domestic assistant' job on a ward, pro at life writing for four paragraphs the reasons for why I want to be a cleaner :rolleyes:
Original post by laurenl93
Ah I :love: the penguins smilies! Can't remember the code for them though while on my iPhone :frown:

I've already got one of my four choices chosen which was myfirst choice last year but I couldn't apply due to ****ty ukcat :|

Which was it ? I think I have one choice sorted out too, probably BSMS, although it's kinda competitive :frown: ... Three more to go :biggrin:
Which was it ? I think I have one choice sorted out too, probably BSMS, although it's kinda competitive :frown: ... Three more to go :biggrin:

QUB<3

Hopefully Glasgow too, but I'm not fussed as long as they're biased towards people with attained grades then I'll whack an application at them :wink:

I just stay away from the londons, they must get 9989253829 applications :O
Where else you thinking? :smile:
QUB<3

Hopefully Glasgow too, but I'm not fussed as long as they're biased towards people with attained grades then I'll whack an application at them :wink:

Never thought about QUB before :biggrin: Well, it's really hard to decide ... I'm also thinking about Peninsula ... Visited their website and it looks interesting ... I don't think I'll be applying to any of my previous choices, so no Aberdeen/Dundee/Oxford .. Still thinking about St. Andrews though ... Really loved the town ... I don't know for sure, since I'm an EU student and I have to wait and see which other unis accept my qualifications ... But luckily BSMS and Peninsula accept them :biggrin: With an A-Level in Biology, but I'll just have to learn more :colondollar: And maybe Edinburgh ... I got to visit it while on the trip to St. Andrews and it was great :biggrin:

So do I .. Plus, they're mostly BMAT unis, and I'm not thinking of taking that again :eek:
Ahaha :smile:) I found that :diep: first, but I didn't want to put it ... Thought it might hurt your feelings :frown: But the penguin hug is actually kinda cute :colondollar: :penguinhug: these penguins are so adorable :love:

I didn't see that show :s-smilie: But I did see all on Cartoon Network though ... :colone: Too much free time growing up

(i used to do this whenever I saw the video :macarena: )

p.s they have smileys for everything around here :rolleyes:

It would hurt my feelings :sadnod:
The :penguinhug: is the best emote ever :sexface:
Apart from :sexface: of course :colone:

They do! It's awesome.. though after a while you memorise the codes and use them on facebook :ashamed:
So do I .. Plus, they're mostly BMAT unis, and I'm not thinking of taking that again :eek:

Ahem.. really?

UKCAT london un's:
Barts and the London
St Georges
KCL

BMAT london uni's:
UCL
Imperial

UKCAT beats BMAT :colone:
Never thought about QUB before :biggrin: Well, it's really hard to decide ... I'm also thinking about Peninsula ... Visited their website and it looks interesting ... I don't think I'll be applying to any of my previous choices, so no Aberdeen/Dundee/Oxford .. Still thinking about St. Andrews though ... Really loved the town ... I don't know for sure, since I'm an EU student and I have to wait and see which other unis accept my qualifications ... But luckily BSMS and Peninsula accept them :biggrin: With an A-Level in Biology, but I'll just have to learn more :colondollar: And maybe Edinburgh ... I got to visit it while on the trip to St. Andrews and it was great :biggrin:

Edinburgh is sooo hard to get into, though id love to have the guts to apply there
Ah god I'm still getting over St Andrews, it was my baby :frown: lmao.
Whereabout in the eu are you from?
If you get a high ukcat you should sooo come to Newcastle, I'll show you round once I know youre not a paedophile haha
I'm never going to do the bmat, don't see the point in blindly applying to a uni and them basing their decision on something I don't know if I've done well on :/ riskeh.
If my interview got a high Mark at St Andrews an it was my academics that let me down I may email them and ask if they'd consider me again :smile:
What are you doibg on your gap year?

Quick Reply

Latest