The Student Room Group

How do I become a Doctor?

This is a really cheesy and stupid question... I know.

I just want to know the basics and how hard it is.

What should I get in GCSEs and A Levels to secure this goal?
Original post by Josh_Dey
This is a really cheesy and stupid question... I know.

I just want to know the basics and how hard it is.

What should I get in GCSEs and A Levels to secure this goal?

You should get A*/A's at GCSE and AAAA at A-Level pretty much, depending on the uni obviously, at A-Level you want to take chemistry, biology and another two respected subjects, don't feel compelled to take 4 full A-levels however, but make sure you have an extra AS, you deffinately need those grades, other subjects could be something like Maths or English Literature - Then you apply to do a medicine degree which lasts 5 years from which then you become a junior doctor and can start working, you will also want relevant experience before you apply so may want to look as working as a HCA (health care assistant) in a hospital or nursing home, or anywhere else relevant really. It is very difficult but by no means an unachievable fhing to do, if its what you want go for it.

But make sure before you decide to do it, it's deffinately what you want, don't just do it for the money it's a very hard, stressful and demanding career to go into.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Jordenfruitbat
You should get A*/A's at GCSE and AAAA at A-Level pretty much, depending on the uni obviously, at A-Level you want to take chemistry, biology and another two respected subjects, don't feel compelled to take 4 full A-levels however, but make sure you have an extra AS, you deffinately need those grades, other subjects could be something like Maths or English Literature - Then you apply to do a medicine degree which lasts 5 years from which then you become a junior doctor and can start working, you will also want relevant experience before you apply so may want to look as working as a HCA (health care assistant) in a hospital or nursing home, or anywhere else relevant really. It is very difficult but by no means an unachievable fhing to do, if its what you want go for it.

But make sure before you decide to do it, it's deffinately what you want, don't just do it for the money it's a very hard, stressful and demanding career to go into.

Hi

Thanks....

This was from a previous post of mine:

I want to be a Doctor, the pride and reputation in my family is the biggest motivator.

Secondly, is the thought of being able to go home at the end of the day and think today I saved someones life or I helped someone, someone will remember me because i did something right.

I will like to help people, save people and cure people even if it didn't come with proper pay; money doesn't matter, only the fact that I have reached my goal and satisfied the medical needs of others.

About GCSEs, do they really matter? It seems very difficult to get A*s/As... I'm sure I'll get a B in a language or something else... is it fine?
Reply 3
hiya :smile:
im currently doing my AS levels and wanting to do medicine.
I got 9 a*'s at GCSE and i did work hard, but im sure you could get pretty good results too!
some uni's dont look at gcse's as much as others. Birmingham look at it a lot, whereas Newcastle and lots others dont really care. Even for Cambridge all a*'s isnt essential!
Just work hard, get your work experience and you'll be fine :biggrin:
xxx
Hi

Thanks....

This was from a previous post of mine:

About GCSEs, do they really matter? It seems very difficult to get A*s/As... I'm sure I'll get a B in a language or something else... is it fine?

They don't all have to be A's and A*s no just the majority/ some of them I think, and it depends on the uni you apply to :smile: so make sure you look around (and dont apply to uni's you dont think you know you dont have the grades for, quite a few people do this and wonder why they get rejected!) and great seems like your going into it for the right reasons!

If you don't feel you can achieve the grades or don't get them, there are always other medical jobs you can look into like nursing or physiotherapy :smile: Try your best it's all you can do, and thats the best way to go about it imho :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by LiviD
hiya :smile:
im currently doing my AS levels and wanting to do medicine.
I got 9 a*'s at GCSE and i did work hard, but im sure you could get pretty good results too!
some uni's dont look at gcse's as much as others. Birmingham look at it a lot, whereas Newcastle and lots others dont really care. Even for Cambridge all a*'s isnt essential!
Just work hard, get your work experience and you'll be fine :biggrin:
xxx

Thanks,
Nice results!
Reply 6
Revise for your GCSES! I didn't and am going to be trying to apply for med with 2A*s 6As and 1B :/ Not optimistic.
Reply 7
Original post by hmon93
Revise for your GCSES! I didn't and am going to be trying to apply for med with 2A*s 6As and 1B :/ Not optimistic.

Wow, that's a vey good set of GCSEs! I hope I'll get something like that.

I don't know much about GCSEs but I've seen so many get lower than you, I always think: Will I be one of them?

1 Question I ask evryone:

In school what set were you in year 9? (and then in year 10, if you could) :biggrin:

Me:

Maths: Set 2
Science: Set 1
Languages: Set 2

Do you think I could get the same as you?

Josh

I don't know much about GCSEs but I've seen so many get lower than you, I always think: Will I be one of them?

In school what set were you in year 9? (and then in year 10, if you could) :biggrin:

Me:

Josh

Seriously mate. don't worry about your GCSE's to much youll do better than you thnk they are for the most part easy and its just basically building upon what you already know, and is very fact based.

I was in:
English: Set 1
Languages: Set 1
Reply 9
Original post by Jordenfruitbat
Seriously mate. don't worry about your GCSE's to much youll do better than you thnk they are for the most part easy and its just basically building upon what you already know, and is very fact based.

I was in:
English: Set 1
Languages: Set 1

Hey

Thanks for the advice :biggrin:
What did you get in your GCSEs?

Josh
Hey

Thanks for the advice :biggrin:
What did you get in your GCSEs?

Josh

I didn't do to great actually, mainly because back then I didn't want to try, couldnt be bothered and hated the subjects I was doing I think I got A*'s B's and C's I could have done so much better and to do them now I think I could have gotten at least all A's, when you look back they honestly do seem very easy so try not to worry at all, but make sure you do work for them or you'll come out with relatively rubbish grades like mine :smile:
Reply 11

Me:

Josh

I don't know what this set thing is... our schooling systems must be different. But yes, if you revise plenty I'm sure you'll do brilliantly :smile:
Make sure you get A's in your sciences and meet the other grade requirements, e.g eng language and maths at B or whatever for GCSE. Most med schools require AAA at a level (there's a few which take AAB) and chemistry is a must, ideally with biology.

Just make sure you look at entry requirements and admissions policies carefully so that you know you meet their criteria.

You're gonna need a fair bit of work experience to back up your decision to study medicine, and some extra- curriculars, and activities that demonstrate you have the skills required to be a doctor (communication, teamwork, leadership etc).
Step 1: Go to medical school
Reply 14
Original post by No Future
Step 1: Go to medical school

riigght... I would have guessed that already.
Reply 15
You're not going to get into medical school, try nursing instead. :colone:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending