The Student Room Group

The Hijab and Investment Banking?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by Straight up G
sorry, why not?

You can take up a role in investment banking as long as it does not involve you doing interest/riba as far as I am aware.
Original post by loling909
You can take up a role in investment banking as long as it does not involve you doing interest/riba as far as I am aware.

yes, and many roles in investment banking don't have anything to do with usury.

Source: A muslim guy who's recently done two internships at american investment banks in London.
Reply 62
yes, and many roles in investment banking don't have anything to do with usury.

Source: A muslim guy who's recently done two internships at american investment banks in London.

Cool :smile:
Cool :smile:

La La Land?
Reply 64
Original post by Mask Of Sanity
Yep, definitely a minority in my experience. I can't remember which scholar specifically, but it's mentioned time and time again that some don't believe it's compulsory. There was a documentary a while ago with an Egyptian woman naming some of them but their names are beyond me. The authenticity of hadiths which refer to hijaab tends to also be questioned, or just completely disregarded as it isn't mentioned in the Quran specifically.

The hadiths regarding the hijab that are used are strong. Yeah I agree the minority that think that it is not compulsary tend not to focus on the hadith which I find strange as many things that are obligatory for us such as prayer we get from the hadith and not Qur'an. Are you muslim btw?
Reply 65
La La Land?

Why does my location interest you exactly?
Why does my location interest you exactly?

Never met someone from La La Land. That interests me
Original post by joytosee
The hadiths regarding the hijab that are used are strong. Yeah I agree the minority that think that it is not compulsary tend not to focus on the hadith which I find strange as many things that are obligatory for us such as prayer we get from the hadith and not Qur'an. Are you muslim btw?

That's what I was referring to - those who disregard or question the authenticity of said hadiths which are commonly seen to be quite strong tend to be a minority and don't seem to focus on hadiths in general. :dontknow: I am, yes.
Reply 68
Never met someone from La La Land. That interests me

Yes it's very interesting round here - faires, monsters, dragons and all sorts.
Yes it's very interesting round here - faires, monsters, dragons and all sorts.

Hmmm I'd imagine so. Got any of these?
Reply 70
Hmmm I'd imagine so. Got any of these?

YES!! Infact I own one of those!! :teehee:

Spoiler

Reply 71
Its your choice OP. Although there probably aren't that many Muslim women in IB, I know a few Muslim women who work in IB, some of which wear a headscarf. From speaking to them, they haven't experienced any discrimination/different treatment because they wear a headscarf. I know a Muslim sister who wears a hijab and is very happy at Goldmans (she says she's never been treated differently), so I'd take some of the comments on here with a pinch of salt. As someone already mentioned on here, HR are very careful these days and have a lot of pressure to have more diversity when recruiting, so if you're a good candidate, I very much doubt you'd be rejected purely because you wear a headscarf.

However, you get the occassional ignorant pricks who react like this:

:zomg: :noway: when they see a Muslim woman in a headscarf...and tbh you're better off not getting into a place like that if they can't see beyond a headscarf.

Good luck, and god willing you'll get into IB :]
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 72
Still struggling to understand how religion and high finance can go hand in hand... As an investment banker pretty much by definition you are devoting yourself to the pursuit of money. Surely this conflicts with the basic moral principles of most religions?
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by searchingshadow
I wonder what’s worse; no being able to punctuate, or not making any sense.

Punctuation correction fail.
Original post by Dan1903
Still struggling to understand how religion and high finance can go hand in hand... As in investment banker pretty much by definition you are devoting yourself to the pursuit of money. Surely this conflicts with the basic moral principles of most religions?

I actually agree with this. You cannot be a Muslim and an investment banker. Just not allowed.
Original post by BigFudamental
Punctuation correction fail.

fail accepted lol :biggrin:
Reply 76
This is ridiculous. If you're good, you'll make it regardless of how you look or what you wear (to a certain extent, e.g. you don't walk around naked).

CGFPS

but I've seen lot's of females wearing the headscarf who are more than qualified for the jobs and who have been repeatedly rejected, regardless of whether or not they got a first in maths/economics, and if they did get accepted there was no progress up in the ranks.

This is stupid. You are making the assumption they got rejected just because of wearing a headscarf, which is insane. How do you define "more than qualified"? A first in maths/economics will get you an interview (provided it's at a target uni), but it means nothing after that. I know loads of people who got rejected with firsts, and I know people who've got in with 2:2s.

Also, it would be useful to know what you mean by "no progress up the ranks" and what evidence you have for this.
(edited 13 years ago)
Can I ask you a question? If you're willing to wear a hijab, why don't you wear it fully? That is, why are you wearing only the headscarf? Why not the loose abaya/Jilbaab? Also, what about the modesty requirement e.g. you can't unnecessarily talk to the opposite sex. You can't have physical contact e.g. shaking hands. And both sexes can't look each other in the eye. As well as the no make up/perfume rule. Are you willing to follow those rules as well? If so, your chance in investment banking (front office) is very, very small. If not, why not? Why are you half-heartedly following your religion?
Original post by CGFPS
There are certain areas/divisions within IB that don't deal directly with riba.

That's a complicated and murky world, and the bottom line is the core of the busines is based on risk management and there will be many haram businesses involved (you sure you're not gonna be dealing with any dodgy businesses? and will have ZERO contact with interest based decisions and products?). Maybe you shoudl consult a scholar?

Original post by 0201Bean
What's the point in wearing a Hijab if everyone's going to see your hair before anyway?

You're basically saying, "should I prioritise my career and achievement in this life over what I'm going to get in the after life for following the rules of my religion?"

Just shows how dedicated you are to your religion tbh.

Agree. Sell your soul. This is a test of your faith. It's easy to say you believe in something in the comfort of your armchair, but under a little pressure you buckle?
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by Dan1903
Still struggling to understand how religion and high finance can go hand in hand... As an investment banker pretty much by definition you are devoting yourself to the pursuit of money. Surely this conflicts with the basic moral principles of most religions?

This brothers hit the nail on its head.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending