The Student Room Group

Motivation and advice needed!

Think I'm in the right forum...

I'm in serious trouble. Have been having some personal and medical issues that have lead me to being completely unmotivated and careless. History used to come so easily to me at GCSE but it went downhill in y12. Now I have coursework that has to be done by the end of the week and I haven't even started it.

I want to get work done right now, but I can't move without being distracted and I know it's because I don't care and am trying to avoid work. Don't know where to start or how to write. All these bad grades I'm getting in other history essays are getting me down. My university offer is AAA.

Has anyone got any advice for me? How can I motivate myself? Where shall I start? etc. I can usually get coursework done in one night so time isn't a major problem- I am.

Appreciate the help

Thank you :smile:
just think about what is at stake...i am also very easily swayed to put things off and not do them (tho ive not had problems like you have) and i find that taking a step back and evaluating the importance of what i need to do really helps me to focus( i want to go to med school so if i dont do hwk, i dont learn well, i also get bad reports, references wont be as good etc...you get the pic).
try writing a list of what needs to be done and set yourself a period of time to complete the list in...even if its just a list of the different topics you need to cover in your coursework. i think you'll find that a bit more structure can get you in the right frame of mind:smile:
its worth a shot atleast x
Reply 2
I'm in exactly the same problem. I've a real nack for history, and in GCSE I did well, and in learning it myself I do very well, however in A-Levels the method of teaching has just fizzed that fuse out. My Coursework is also due in by the end of the Week, so again, same problem. :tongue:

I find the best way not to be distracted is to unplug everything, stick in headphones, have a bottle of water and just lock yourself in your room, create a bubble for yourself and work within it. Take regular breaks but don't "look forward to them". You know? Just focus on the work, and if you feel you've done a good amount, have a break then.

In terms of the Coursework, I too haven't started. However my question is one I picked, and is a question I'll do well at. First and foremost, plan the thing! Planning it is the hardest part. Make bullet points on every argument you're going to use, or every individual, turning point, etc. Then within the larger points, make other bullet points. Keep making notes, and break them down into the lines within a paragraph.
Once you've done that, the whole thing will just fall together like a puzzle. :smile:

Genuinely hope this helps, as I'm in the same pickle albeit in Year 13. :tongue:
Still, you'll be ok. :smile: Chin up, concentrate and you'll be fine! :smile: If you've any questions, though, PM me or something. :colondollar:
Reply 3
Original post by stephie.u3
just think about what is at stake...i am also very easily swayed to put things off and not do them (tho ive not had problems like you have) and i find that taking a step back and evaluating the importance of what i need to do really helps me to focus( i want to go to med school so if i dont do hwk, i dont learn well, i also get bad reports, references wont be as good etc...you get the pic).
try writing a list of what needs to be done and set yourself a period of time to complete the list in...even if its just a list of the different topics you need to cover in your coursework. i think you'll find that a bit more structure can get you in the right frame of mind:smile:
its worth a shot atleast x

Stepping back and taking a look at the bigger picture just seems like something I'm mentally unable to do- but will go make a list of topics I need to cover right away! Thank you :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by DH-Biker
I'm in exactly the same problem. I've a real nack for history, and in GCSE I did well, and in learning it myself I do very well, however in A-Levels the method of teaching has just fizzed that fuse out. My Coursework is also due in by the end of the Week, so again, same problem. :tongue:

I find the best way not to be distracted is to unplug everything, stick in headphones, have a bottle of water and just lock yourself in your room, create a bubble for yourself and work within it. Take regular breaks but don't "look forward to them". You know? Just focus on the work, and if you feel you've done a good amount, have a break then.

In terms of the Coursework, I too haven't started. However my question is one I picked, and is a question I'll do well at. First and foremost, plan the thing! Planning it is the hardest part. Make bullet points on every argument you're going to use, or every individual, turning point, etc. Then within the larger points, make other bullet points. Keep making notes, and break them down into the lines within a paragraph.
Once you've done that, the whole thing will just fall together like a puzzle. :smile:

Genuinely hope this helps, as I'm in the same pickle albeit in Year 13. :tongue:
Still, you'll be ok. :smile: Chin up, concentrate and you'll be fine! :smile: If you've any questions, though, PM me or something. :colondollar:

Hey, I'm also in y13, the question is on American Civil Rights. Completely relating to what you've said! Sometimes my teacher just gives completely oxymoronic advice, there's just no way for me to fit her criteria. Somehow I need to have no narrative but then I have to because the essay doesn't make sense otherwise. Or I need to focus on Martin Luther King but not focus on him at all because I need to evaluate more. It's just.. urgh!

I'm going to try my hardest to get it done tonight. Taking on your advice too, thank you so much for replying :smile: Good luck with your coursework :redface:
Original post by Deema
Stepping back and taking a look at the bigger picture just seems like something I'm mentally unable to do- but will go make a list of topics I need to cover right away! Thank you :smile:

aha dont worry it can be hard... just go somewhere where there are no distractions(no mobile,no comp...) and just make yourself do it. once you actually start you'll be fine but i know from experience that its the starting thats the hardest part. you'll feel happy in the end:biggrin:
Reply 6
Original post by Deema
Hey, I'm also in y13, the question is on American Civil Rights. Completely relating to what you've said! Sometimes my teacher just gives completely oxymoronic advice, there's just no way for me to fit her criteria. Somehow I need to have no narrative but then I have to because the essay doesn't make sense otherwise. Or I need to focus on Martin Luther King but not focus on him at all because I need to evaluate more. It's just.. urgh!

I'm going to try my hardest to get it done tonight. Taking on your advice too, thank you so much for replying :smile: Good luck with your coursework :redface:

Ahh, I thought you meant you were in Year 12. :wink:

Yeah, our Teacher isn't the most helpful either. She didn't tell us we needed a specific book till two weeks before the deadline that she set for this Thursday, and gave us an impossible task. She's nice and funny and all, but kind'a useless when it comes down to that. :frown: Its hard to work without help, and even when she does she tells me the same; Its either too narrative or it has no structure too it.
Still, she seemed happy with my plan. So we'll see.

But yeah, likewise, good luck to you too. :yep: Don't push yourself into the early hours, though; mistakes will be made. :dontknow:

Still, good luck. :yep:

Quick Reply

Latest