The Student Room Group

i talk to myself

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by ellakrystina
Sometimes when I'm in bed I'll pretend my boyfriend's there and imagine new conversations or go over old ones. It's awkward when I do it and he's actually there...

I had no idea that I wasn't the only person who does this! :redface: You have restored my faith in my own sanity :biggrin:
Reply 21
its alright to talk to yourself in that context. i do it too, but i cant compare myself to you because i actually am schizophrenic.
Original post by kerily
I had no idea that I wasn't the only person who does this! :redface: You have restored my faith in my own sanity :biggrin:

Aha, now I'm worried that I'm autistic :tongue:
I've spoken to myself and planned out conversations for as long as I can remember! I've always been very independent and never felt a need for others' company, I also spend a considerable amount of time by myself and in my own head (if that makes sense?). I don't really feel the need to be sociable and go out often, so perhaps talking to myself is my body telling me that I need more friends! Talking to 'someone' at night is weird... I can literally feel myself lying on my boyfriend chest and imagine arms around me and everything, it's really strange!
I talk to myself all the time.
I mean in fairness I'm not lonely I just like to think out loud sometimes when I'm working on something but yeah, talking to yourself is cool :smile:
Reply 24
Talking to 'someone' at night is weird... I can literally feel myself lying on my boyfriend chest and imagine arms around me and everything, it's really strange!

I do this too, like plan out conversations and carry on whole interactions in my head. Then I catch myself and tell myself to get a life lol.
I do this as well :biggrin:
I think it's normal if you're lonely. I talk to myself a lot, it's so embarrassing when the people I live with walk in on me doing it or I catch myself doing it in public. :colondollar:
Reply 27
I do this, I actually regularly feel the need to say things out loud as though I am making a persuasive argument to another person.
Reply 28
And yeah OP I think everyone talks to themselves. When I'm playing soccer or doing schoolwork I yell at myself. Well, under my breath, you know. Not to the whole stadium/library. Stuff like "Wow you stupid idiot, get it right next time" and "Come on you great lump, you're faster than her". Helps, I'd say. It gets scary when I start laughing at myself.
Original post by tite23
I do this too, like plan out conversations and carry on whole interactions in my head. Then I catch myself and tell myself to get a life lol.

I never tell myself to get a life!:cool:
Reply 30
Nothing wrong with talking to yourself, just try not argue with yourself too much as it can get really awkward being around yourself all the time if you fall out over something!
Original post by Anonymous
ok, i am going to sound as if i am mad but i need to ask if anyone does this..

lately i have been sooo fed up and feel really lonely as if i cant talk to anyone about what is bothering me (i do have friends though) but when i feel like this i listen to music to block out the world and i just talk to myself.. at home when no-one is around. not like whilst im walking in public etc not infront of people.
i know i sound weird. but i am a very shy person and its like when im talking to myself i am being this "confident" person who i want to be when im around lots of people.

am i going crazy? or do people do this?

Well, I talk to myself but not in the sort of: "hey, how are you?" "yeah I'm fine thanks, how about you?" kind of way

I tend to talk myself through homework and things like that, particularly when I'm writing notes. Sometimes if I'm doing a Maths problem I tend to go "ok, so x = 5." "that's right isn't it?" "no." "Oh wait, yeah it is." People have picked me up on it before, but I think it's quite quirky!
Reply 32
I think we should form a "I talk to myself soceity".
Original post by ChrisJ!
Nothing wrong with talking to yourself, just try not argue with yourself too much as it can get really awkward being around yourself all the time if you fall out over something!

I have that problem a lot. :colone:

I do. :colone:
Reply 35
OP your not strange or weird. i do it all the time, it helps me think/concentrate and figure out what im doing next, and who hasnt gotten annoyed with themselves and given themself a talking to at some point.

also i live in a houseshare, but 1 housemate mostly lives with her boyfriend so never see her and the other isnt around much at the moment, so im here alone most of the time and talking to myself is the only conversation i get sometimes, especially on days off uni/work where i literally see no-one for the whole day (dont know a lot of people where i live as im over an hour away from all my friends/family)
Reply 36

Good for you. I'm not so strong as you, I suppose - if I'm not thinking about schoolwork or something "productive" I feel like a loser. Also, you're daydreaming about your own boyfriend, whereas I'm planning out conversations with a boy who used to be in love with me but whose feelings I can't decipher anymore (that always happens when I start liking someone...:frown: )
Original post by ExTraP
I think we should form a "I talk to myself soceity".

But first, we learn to spell society. No? :P
Reply 38
Yeah, I do this. :tongue: Haha!

Usually I do it on a biking run, saying things like, "Swish! ****ing nailed it!" or "Popper!" :tongue: Or shouting at myself for cocking up. :redface: Either way. :wink:

But yeah, I do this; so we're either odd, or we're normal. :wink:
Original post by Rascacielos
I do. :colone:

:colonhash:

Original post by tite23
Good for you. I'm not so strong as you, I suppose - if I'm not thinking about schoolwork or something "productive" I feel like a loser. Also, you're daydreaming about your own boyfriend, whereas I'm planning out conversations with a boy who used to be in love with me but whose feelings I can't decipher anymore (that always happens when I start liking someone...:frown: )

Don't feel like that, silly! I have strange conversations and daydreams about exes, male friends, men I don't even know... it's completely natural. I think that planning out conversations and even reliving old memories is just your body and mind's way of figuring things out.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending