The Student Room Group

Should I tell him I like him even though he has a girlfriend?

Hey,
I like this guy who has just last month got a girlfriend.
I've liked him since we first met last year and he showed really strong signs that he liked me too.
Problem is, I'm suuuuper shy when i comes to this stuff so I didn't flirt with him very much and kind of pushed him away when he flirted so I think I sent out the completely wrong signals.
I can't stop thinking about him and I really want him to know how I feel.
I won't see him again for a few months after the next time i see him and since we dont talk online much, I feel that closure is the best thing for me to move on.

Do you think I should tell him or would it be a bad idea as he has a girlfriend?
no you filthy relationship ruiner
NOOO do not do that. You'll probably have his girlfriend send you a "back off" message, and it would just be awkward. It's unlikely he's going to leave his girlfriend just because you say you like him, so I'd save your embarrassment if I were you.
Reply 3
No. Control yourself. You'd want a girl to back off your boyfriend and respect your relationship if it was the other way around.
Reply 4
No, not while he has a girlfriend unless you want to make things really awkward. Give it a few months, maybe they'll have broken up by then, if he's single and you still have feelings for him, then let him know.
Reply 5
I'd say, what is the point of telling him now? Why should you bring up this when he is trying to establish a bond with his girlfriend? You had your chance and you took too long. Be that a lesson to you for next time: Don't fanny about!
Reply 6
Original post by Anonymous
Hey,
I like this guy who has just last month got a girlfriend.
I've liked him since we first met last year and he showed really strong signs that he liked me too.
Problem is, I'm suuuuper shy when i comes to this stuff so I didn't flirt with him very much and kind of pushed him away when he flirted so I think I sent out the completely wrong signals.
I can't stop thinking about him and I really want him to know how I feel.
I won't see him again for a few months after the next time i see him and since we dont talk online much, I feel that closure is the best thing for me to move on.

Do you think I should tell him or would it be a bad idea as he has a girlfriend?

If you had a boyfriend would you really want another girl hanging around declaring her feelings for him? Just saying.
Why not? Who knows, maybe you really love him and after awhile he will also realise this! If he has got a girlfriend just last month, maybe they don't have something big going on. Yeah, it may look bad if he will dump her and she really love him....but still I think you should always fight your way or you will lose your real love someday...

P.S. Totally my opinion. Don't take it super seriously....
i'm in the same position atm and it is hard but i decided that i would rather have him has a friend who was in a happy relationship that i still had some close connection to rather than alienate him by making things awkward.
i was again in a similar sitution a few months back with a different guy who i had liked for almost 2 yrs. new girl came and she fancied him, his mates didnt like her so i made the effort to speak to her for his sake, she attatched herself to me and i gained a best friend, they then started going out. it killed me inside. but closure was the way, i'm still distant with him, but when we walk home every now and again its fine and i'm happy that my feelings are all in the past:smile:
haha there's my life story lol but hope it helps you with seeing different outcomes etc. i also wanted to get it off my chest:tongue:
Original post by stephie.u3
i'm in the same position atm and it is hard but i decided that i would rather have him has a friend who was in a happy relationship that i still had some close connection to rather than alienate him by making things awkward.
i was again in a similar sitution a few months back with a different guy who i had liked for almost 2 yrs. new girl came and she fancied him, his mates didnt like her so i made the effort to speak to her for his sake, she attatched herself to me and i gained a best friend, they then started going out. it killed me inside. but closure was the way, i'm still distant with him, but when we walk home every now and again its fine and i'm happy that my feelings are all in the past:smile:
haha there's my life story lol but hope it helps you with seeing different outcomes etc. i also wanted to get it off my chest:tongue:

there's something wrong with you if you're always wanting guys when they're taken and then claim you like or loved them first...just sayin
Reply 10
Come and show Shiraz some lovin instead :wink:
It just about never, ever ends well!
Original post by Peachykeen09
there's something wrong with you if you're always wanting guys when they're taken and then claim you like or loved them first...just sayin

i wasnt making a point about knowing them first. and i dont exactly do it on purpose they were both single then got girlfriends. pretty sure i cant help who i like its just unfortunate that i cant have them.:frown:
No...because he likes someone else now, and the his gf probably likes him a lot too even if it's just been a month....it's not nice to ruin someone elses relationship.

Theres no such thing as needing closure, even if you think you do...when you've moved on you'll realise that.
Sweetie now is the exact time to tell him, i am literally in the same situation i actually thought i wrote this in my sleep or something... If you leave it their relationship will become serious, if your gunna tell him do it now well their relationship is fresh. If he doesn't feel the same well at least your have closure , at least it won't eat you up in side, get it out their release that negative energy
No you shouldn't.

Would YOU like it if someone butted into your relationship all "here dump her and have me instead". You had your chance, don't ruin his relationship. It could also cost you your friendship with him if his girlfriend gets really angry and tells you stay well away. Is it really worth that strife?
I would tell him. Just don't put it across in a way implying you want him to leave his gf and go with you - just for finding closure.
Reply 17
Don't tell him, just cook him a steak and give him a blowjob.

Solved.
Reply 18
Sometimes you have to say something just to get it out of your system! Most guys would take it as a compliment. However, if you know his girlfriend and know that she's a little sensitive, you may want to just 'tell him in another way'.

Spoiler

Quick Reply

Latest