The Student Room Group
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry

How clever are people at Warwick?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Peel
IIRC correctly they were offering actually offering money to AAAers who firmed them back in 2008. It made logical sense, at least back then - lots of people applying with AAA were very likely to take up offers from Oxbridge, Imperial, Bristol, Soton which were arguably considered better, or equal engineering departments. To attract these students who might have applied but not have necessarily firmed Notts before, they offer a financial incentive. Better students = better department = increased reputation over time, etc ,etc.

I suppose for Engineering that makes a little more sense, but even then they wouldn't exactly be able to afford giving out MUCH money. Would many people really accept around £100-£150 (a conjecture) to accept a Notts offer when they want to go elsewhere?

Also, the 2011 cycle is vastly different. Average UCAS tariffs and entry requirements rose like crazy in 2009 and 2010.
(edited 13 years ago)
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry
Original post by im so academic
They are two universities I would first associate with intellectual students. :smile:

But by no means the only ones.
Reply 62
Original post by mrengineer
Good for you, congrats on the successful begging of your teachers!

Thank you! You too. Though I see you dropped an A-Level. I'm sorry to hear that :frown:
Scholarships = money i don't have to pay back = money.

And if you bothered to read my original post, you would have seen that would be for Civil Engineering applicants.

Most scholarships require that you get certain grades to be eligible, which is not the same as automatically getting a scholarship upon entry. At my Manchester Chemical Engineering interview they stated that theyonly gave out a few scholarships every year for excellent grades and they went to people who had 4-5A*s at A-level or 43 IB points, so I find it hard to believe that a university like Nottingham which is of a similar standard could automatically give out money to anyone who had AAA and firmed them. I'm sorry but AAA grades are fairly common among these sorts of universities.

You can keep going as much as you want, I'm still not convinced.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 64
Original post by innerhollow
I suppose for Engineering that makes a little more sense, but even then they wouldn't exactly be able to afford giving out MUCH money. Would many people really accept around £100-£150 (a conjecture) to accept a Notts offer when they want to go elsewhere?

Also, the 2011 cycle is vastly different. Average UCAS tariffs and entry requirements rose like crazy in 2009 and 2010.

Fair point. I suppose the principle still stands - one of my lecturers once told us "We'd fail every single one of you if you weren't up to Imperial standards, because the only thing a university has, is it's reputation" - putting this in context, these scholarships (or w/e you want to call them) are a long term investment into the reputation of a university, and at the end of the day, that's what brings in the money and secures future growth.

Just out of interest, I think when I applied Notts offered £800 or £1000, but as you say it's very different now so I wouldn't be suprised if it was lower than this.
Original post by Peel
Fair point. I suppose the principle still stands - one of my lecturers once told us "We'd fail every single one of you if you weren't up to Imperial standards, because the only thing a university has, is it's reputation" - putting this in context, these scholarships (or w/e you want to call them) are a long term investment into the reputation of a university, and at the end of the day, that's what brings in the money and secures future growth.

No I take your point actually. Investing in attracting better students like that is akin to investing in renovating facilities or something like that.

Just out of interest, I think when I applied Notts offered £800 or £1000, but as you say it's very different now so I wouldn't be suprised if it was lower than this.

WOAH. :eek: They'd never be able to afford anywhere near that anymore with all the cuts.
Reply 66
No I take your point actually. Investing in attracting better students like that is akin to investing in renovating facilities or something like that.

WOAH. :eek: They'd never be able to afford anywhere near that anymore with all the cuts.

Yep that's what I meant exactly :smile: It probably is reduced quite significantly, but Notts is still giving out grants of around £1000o or something to the top 10% of its engineers (in terms of exam grades).

Just found this link:

http://www.nottingham.ac.uk/engineering/documents/scholarships/facultyugscholarshipsflyerfinal.pdf

Seems OP was right!
Original post by Peel
Yep that's what I meant exactly :smile: It probably is reduced quite significantly, but Notts is still giving out grants of around £1000o or something to the top 10% of its engineers (in terms of exam grades).

Just found this link:

http://www.nottingham.ac.uk/engineering/documents/scholarships/facultyugscholarshipsflyerfinal.pdf

Seems OP was right!

Oh I stand corrected. Apparently you ARE guaranteed money :lolwut:

Still, that is absolutely crazy! The scholarships for people getting >80% are fair enough (because that is quite exceptional), but I mean 10% of all A-level students get AAA, so you'd expect there would be a fairly sizeable number of people applying to a high-raniked university like Notts who go on to get AAA. How on earth do they afford that?

And the most important thing is, I would have applied to Nottingham if I'd known about this! :eek:
Reply 68
Oh I stand corrected. Apparently you ARE guaranteed money :lolwut:

Still, that is absolutely crazy! The scholarships for people getting >80% are fair enough (because that is quite exceptional), but I mean 10% of all A-level students get AAA, so you'd expect there would be a fairly sizeable number of people applying to a high-raniked university like Notts who go on to get AAA. How on earth do they afford that?

And the most important thing is, I would have applied to Nottingham if I'd known about this! :eek:

Exactly, stfu and get out my thread for saying I was bull****ting.
Exactly, stfu and get out my thread for saying I was bull****ting.

I should apologise for accusing of you lying, but to be honest you're a bit of a douche so I don't really want to :teehee:
Reply 70
I should apologise for accusing of you lying, but to be honest you're a bit of a douche so I don't really want to :teehee:

safe, I wasn't expecting one
Reply 71
This.

Yeah I'm impressed with Warwick maths
Does anyone going to Warwick currently know if the engineering guys are v clever?

I graduated last July but lived with 2 engineers the entire time I was there and knew quite a few others (even though I was in the business school). Essentially they are all very clever, almost everyone at the uni is. Anyone doing the 4 year version of the engineering course is incredibly clever as you need consistently high grades in exams just to stay on it, and there are some very complicated optional modules (ive seen the work they do lol). My flat mates are nearing the end of the 4 th year now and despite their smarts they are bogged down with a ton of hard work, you will certainly be pushed
Reply 72
Dunno but apparently the girls are ugly.
OP, in the current climate taking a year out for a non-essential reason really could backfire. Competition is getting tougher and remember that your place this year could have been in favour of a '10/'11 gapper!
Someone from my school went to Warwick last year with A*A*A* and the year before that (pre-A*) someone went with AAAA. This year its my insurance and I'm predicted A*A*A so. We're all oxbridge rejects post-interview. In conclusion, although I can't measure 'how clever' Warwick uni is, its far from an academic cesspool.
Original post by Uzi2491
Dunno but apparently the girls are ugly.

Why do I see this everywhere is it actually true? sad face
Original post by Anonymous
Why do I see this everywhere is it actually true? sad face

You’ll be absolutely fine. Most people look for someone with a similar level of attractiveness….

Quick Reply

Latest