The Student Room Group

degree classification for pharmacy

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by New...Romantic
About it changing to just level 4 and 5 classes that count? It's in the handbook. I had another look and apparently that's the way they're doing it for anyone who started in 2009 or 2010, so from this year's second years.

I did a wee bit better in first and second year but not a huge amount. I've only got results for three 3rd year exams though so I suppose I can't really say yet. Does PP3 count towards your CMA? The handbook says it does but I thought there were people that were still resitting that in 4th year and even after?

PP3 does not count towards your CMA...all you need to do for PP3 is pass...omg I dread those days of running around and the whistle blowing was so annoying.

yeah there are people resiting it and some people have to try it 3 times!!!its an open book exam and you dont have to learn anything for it all you have to do is think on the spot....if you can do that then you will pass. The thing is if you do one stupid thing then you FAIL...like morphine doses.
Reply 41
Original post by roxanneleah
sorry but what is wrong with fashion management? just because you do a more "academic" course doesn't mean that fashion courses are awful :| maybe you should do some research and see that it is actually a very good course that can take you lots of places in the fashion industry.

Lol. :rofl:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8dAUYAg8mAQ
Original post by Ama2007
The thing is if you do one stupid thing then you FAIL...like morphine doses.

I'm not sure what to think about this system. I agree with it in principle, especially for controlled drugs, chemotherapy, IV dosing etc.

However, we are all human and we will make mistakes. I once made a mistake RE: methotrexate and it worried me that if I was the pharmacist at that point in time then the patient would have receieved the incorrect dose. I'll never make that mistake again!

We're not really allowed to make many mistakes as pharmacists and I guess that is why the undergraduate curriculum is designed to fail people who make errors like this.
Original post by roxanneleah
sorry but what is wrong with fashion management? just because you do a more "academic" course doesn't mean that fashion courses are awful :| maybe you should do some research and see that it is actually a very good course that can take you lots of places in the fashion industry.

you must be trolling right?? lol

i'm sorry but i've talked to fashion management students and it seems the course is only offered to secure funding; ~ three hours of lectures a week and the most challenging assignment is cutting out images from a magazine and sticking them onto a "mood board". Surely with careers like that you're better off with work experience than uni?
Original post by pharmasaurus
you must be trolling right?? lol

i'm sorry but i've talked to fashion management students and it seems the course is only offered to secure funding; ~ three hours of lectures a week and the most challenging assignment is cutting out images from a magazine and sticking them onto a "mood board". Surely with careers like that you're better off with work experience than uni?

My advice to you sir is to stay the **** away from Garthdee campus. The chat down there is abysmal. I'll probably get negged for this but I saw a bunch of physios walking around with stethoscopes draped around their necks a few years ago and never went back (except from exams, which thankfully I have had my last off down in RGU sport).

Stethoscopes! What the bloody hell do they need those for!?
Reply 45
Original post by Caponester
My advice to you sir is to stay the **** away from Garthdee campus. The chat down there is abysmal. I'll probably get negged for this but I saw a bunch of physios walking around with stethoscopes draped around their necks a few years ago and never went back (except from exams, which thankfully I have had my last off down in RGU sport).

No, you is getting positive rep. :smile:

I really hope I don't have the same mind-set as you when I move up.. and I can just make friends with the Garthdee people
Original post by Daniel-Ballingall
I really hope I don't have the same mind-set as you when I move up.. and I can just make friends with the Garthdee people

Talk to me in 2 years.
Talk to me in 2 years.

you never mentioned any of this at the open day :frown: :tongue:
you never mentioned any of this at the open day :frown: :tongue:

Haha, did we meet at the open day? Some of the Garthdee bunch are ok I suppose! The architects can be a decent laugh on a night out and I suppose the physios and nurses are semi-decent.

The problem is, and I'm sure you will discover this for yourself, while the School of pharmacy is in the city centre and the rest of the uni is out at Garthdee there will be minimal interactions between the two groups. It's just a fact of life.

You will meet and live with a variety of students from all courses in first year and depending on where you live, you will also meet a ton of Aberdeen uni students. After this you have a choice. Continue to live with them and endure their incessant partying, minimal coursework and 5 hour weeks or move in with like minded students with a similar schedule.

I choose the latter every single day of the week. I guess this has led to the somewhat unwelcome development of a large nose to look down at them with but to be honest mate - shades of grey. If you're the type of person who just loves talking to people 24/7 then i'm sure you'll enjoy sitting in Garthdee's Costa Coffee listening to Blonde girl x talking meaningless **** about endless essays that must be done for course z.

I'm tired, struggling to find the motivation to finish this public health bid and on a caffeine come down. Take my comments with a pinch of salt.
Haha, did we meet at the open day? Some of the Garthdee bunch are ok I suppose! The architects can be a decent laugh on a night out and I suppose the physios and nurses are semi-decent.

The problem is, and I'm sure you will discover this for yourself, while the School of pharmacy is in the city centre and the rest of the uni is out at Garthdee there will be minimal interactions between the two groups. It's just a fact of life.

You will meet and live with a variety of students from all courses in first year and depending on where you live, you will also meet a ton of Aberdeen uni students. After this you have a choice. Continue to live with them and endure their incessant partying, minimal coursework and 5 hour weeks or move in with like minded students with a similar schedule.

I choose the latter every single day of the week. I guess this has led to the somewhat unwelcome development of a large nose to look down at them with but to be honest mate - shades of grey. If you're the type of person who just loves talking to people 24/7 then i'm sure you'll enjoy sitting in Garthdee's Costa Coffee listening to Blonde girl x talking meaningless **** about endless essays that must be done for course z.

I'm tired, struggling to find the motivation to finish this public health bid and on a caffeine come down. Take my comments with a pinch of salt.

I concur wholeheartedly. I've recently boycotted the RGU St Andrews study zone because it seems the people that use it are illiterate; they must interpret the "please respect other users and remain silent" sign as "tell everyone about how ridiculously drunk you got last night and how that lifestyle you're choosing to live is causing you to fail you're course". if you actually want to get work done you're better of using the Aberdeen university library.

Don't worry mate, i think relishing that status of "snob" was a condition of my acceptance.
Don't worry mate, i think relishing that status of "snob" was a condition of my acceptance.

Ha! You think your personal statement was actually read?
Ha! You think your personal statement was actually read?

Prob not. They accepted me within four days of submitting my ucas form :confused:
Prob not. They accepted me within four days of submitting my ucas form :confused:

First in previous degree?

I think you were the only guy student who was talking to people? So I assume it was you. :tongue:

I think it's rather harsh grouping everyone who studies one thing as the same. I know someone who has got into Nursing and is thinking of firming RGU, and she's really awesome! Btw, I'm not meaning to nag, I just think I'm open-minded. (not saying you aren't).

Yeah I guessed that would happen. But I kind of want to get the full RGU Experiance. :tongue: I want to mingle with everyone! I want to join societies and hang at the Union. :biggrin: If you were me, and joining this year, would you feel sad or happy that the Pharmacy School's moving over to Garthdee? [this goes to Pharmasaurus too, if he's creeping]

boycotted the RGU St Andrews study zone because it seems the people that use it are illiterate; they must interpret the "please respect other users and remain silent" sign as "tell everyone about how ridiculously drunk you got last night .

Is the St Andrews Study Zone the library? :frown:

Oh dear. I've been at the University of St Andrews this year, and I'm worried this is going to be a bigger shock than I imagine. :frown:
would you feel sad or happy that the Pharmacy School's moving over to Garthdee?

Indifferent. Brand new school would be nice but travelling to uni in the morning would be annoying.

Yeah, that was me. I busted my balls that day talking to everyone and got sweet F.A in return! :rolleyes:
Indifferent. Brand new school would be nice but travelling to uni in the morning would be annoying.

Yeah, that was me. I busted my balls that day talking to everyone and got sweet F.A in return! :rolleyes:

Aww. You're just so big and scary. Espeacially how you said "if I put a gun to your head and asked you what this machine does.. What would you say?" and none of us knew?! :eek:
(I kid. You were fine and applicant days everyone feels nervous for no reason. But thanks for your help! :biggrin:)

You guys suck at making me phyched for starting this September!!
(edited 12 years ago)
Aww. You're just so big and scary. Espeacially how you said "if I put a gun to your head and asked you what this machine does.. What would you say?" and none of us knew?! :eek:
(I kid. You were fine and applicant days everyone feels nervous for no reason. But thanks for your help! :biggrin:)

You guys suck at making me phyched for starting this September!!

Just preparing you for Dr Lamb!
Reply 58
I'm not sure what to think about this system. I agree with it in principle, especially for controlled drugs, chemotherapy, IV dosing etc.

However, we are all human and we will make mistakes. I once made a mistake RE: methotrexate and it worried me that if I was the pharmacist at that point in time then the patient would have receieved the incorrect dose. I'll never make that mistake again!

We're not really allowed to make many mistakes as pharmacists and I guess that is why the undergraduate curriculum is designed to fail people who make errors like this.

I am not complaining, I passed first round but ALOT and mean alot of people in my class had to resit on top of all the work this year.
Reply 59

Hmmm....... the School of Pharmacy at RGU is going to be moving to Garthdee....so I'd like to know if thats good/bad for me...

1) Is Garthdee the party center of RGU....?

2) Are there residences in Garthdee or only in City center?

......basically, I would like the place of my accommodation to be quiet & have a nearby library that's not crowded & is very silent and still be very close to school/lectures. I am a semi-antisocial person...a bit more like you....who looks down on people having an arts major & who's not fond of people talking/partying 24/7......(similar to what you stated in a previous post in this thread LOL! :wink:). SO could you please give me suggestions than will help me attain my preferences @RGU?
(edited 12 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest