The Student Room Group

Don't know what to do...

Okay .. here's my situation , it's a little complicated...

I'm 18 going 19 .. I sat my GSCE's but messed them all up...

Ultimately i want to do a business studies degree at my local university...

To take my A levels i'd have to do an extra year access course ...

My sister is taking a Business admin course with careers wales that's just 6 months ( i guess my question here is , if i took it , would the university likely accept me?)

and also on the entry form for the Uni this is what is states:

For UK applicants all academic A Level
subjects, (except General Studies), are
accepted. The usual requirement is A BBB
from three A Levels for Single Honours
degree schemes. Two AS Levels can
generally be substituted for one of the A
Levels. Whilst three A Levels are preferred,
consideration may be given to applicants
only offering two A Levels.
We also welcome a wide range of
other qualifications including; Welsh
Baccalaureate, International Baccalaureate
and BTEC National Diplomas. Passes
in Mathematics and English (or Welsh)
language (at Grade C or above) at GCSE
or equivalent are required for all degree
schemes offered by the School.

So i guess what i'm asking is should i try to re-sit my GCSE's then A levels and then uni? .. I don't really want to be studying for the next 10 years ... Help and advice is more than welcome!

I just want to be accepted and do this in the shortest time possible.
Original post by Lucaslb
Okay .. here's my situation , it's a little complicated...

I'm 18 going 19 .. I sat my GSCE's but messed them all up...

Ultimately i want to do a business studies degree at my local university...

To take my A levels i'd have to do an extra year access course ...

My sister is taking a Business admin course with careers wales that's just 6 months ( i guess my question here is , if i took it , would the university likely accept me?)

and also on the entry form for the Uni this is what is states:

For UK applicants all academic A Level
subjects, (except General Studies), are
accepted. The usual requirement is A BBB
from three A Levels for Single Honours
degree schemes. Two AS Levels can
generally be substituted for one of the A
Levels. Whilst three A Levels are preferred,
consideration may be given to applicants
only offering two A Levels.
We also welcome a wide range of
other qualifications including; Welsh
Baccalaureate, International Baccalaureate
and BTEC National Diplomas. Passes
in Mathematics and English (or Welsh)
language (at Grade C or above) at GCSE
or equivalent are required for all degree
schemes offered by the School.

So i guess what i'm asking is should i try to re-sit my GCSE's then A levels and then uni? .. I don't really want to be studying for the next 10 years ... Help and advice is more than welcome!

I just want to be accepted and do this in the shortest time possible.

Regarding the qualification you mention: you would need to call them and ask because I don't have the requisite knowledge to answer that question with anything near certainty and nobody on this site can.

The most expedient route for you would be to take your A levels and the requisite GCSEs in one year and then apply. There is a very good chance that no college will allow you to do this though but if you have a reasonable amount of money this isn't a problem if you're able to self teach. Only you can know if you're able to do this.

If not then you will have to spend two years doing a qualification . Have you considered a business BTEC National Diploma? It's easy (personal opinion), they accept it and at all colleges that I have knowledge of you are able to re-take Maths/English GCSE if you take a few extra classes etc.
Reply 2
The problem with doing my A levels is that i need the GCSE's to get straight into it ( without having to do the extra year's access course) .. but i intend to call the university tomorrow and ask them what i'd need to do .. i don't know much about BTEC either so that's obviously worth looking in to .. thanks alot for your reply!
Original post by Lucaslb
The problem with doing my A levels is that i need the GCSE's to get straight into it ( without having to do the extra year's access course) .. but i intend to call the university tomorrow and ask them what i'd need to do .. i don't know much about BTEC either so that's obviously worth looking in to .. thanks alot for your reply!

You can do A levels, and the BTEC (which is often easier to get onto because it can be done more widely at colleges) without many GCSEs. Contacting the university is a good plan, best of luck :smile:

Quick Reply