The Student Room Group

The most easiest med school?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by shaz111
Dont worry your never getting into medical school anyway. Annoying username, and "the most easiest"?... That is both grammatically retarded, and tells me your not particularly ambitious. My bet is your an asian as well.

Not the best idea to pick someone up on their grammar when your own is flawed.

Live and let live eh? :rolleyes:
Original post by MedicSoon!
Why are medical schools so competitive for? Surely they'l over look something that we done when we were like little 15 16 year olds?! really annoys me, i just want to do really well at A levels and im bound to get at least one interview... thanks:smile:

There are no guarantees so I wouldn't be so cocksure about proclaiming that you'll get at least one interview.

Why are they so competitive? Medicine is a very popular degree course and career choice. Demand for places exceeds the supply and hence to filter out candidates and select from hundreds of suitably qualified and talented students, rigorous selection criteria needs to be put in place.

This may be high GCSE grades like at Birmingham, emphasis on the UKCAT at other places, emphasis on work experience and non-academic criteria. You have to be a well-rounded applicant to get a place a medical school.

Also if you aren't able to demonstrate some level of academic achievement even at the minimum level be it GCSE, A-Level etc. this may cast doubts into the minds of academic selectors who may feel you could well struggle with the academic and emotional demands of the course. I mean personally speaking I had great GCSEs and A-levels but even still I find Medicine difficult at the best of times.

If you could get your 3As at A-level it would go some way to proving your ability. Medicine is not an easy course. Ironically I would despite the competition, getting into medical school is the easy bit. Graduating from medical school is the tough bit although again I must stress that this is my personal opinion and doesn't necessarily reflect that of other students.

Also you ask why medical schools looks a GCSEs when they were taken at 15 or 16. Well tutors do realise that in some cases not everybody realises at 15/16 that they want to be a doctor and that some people "blossom" academically at around A-Level time and sometimes there can be factors affecting GCSE performance. However the bottom line is they are formal exams and qualifications which can be put on your form and to simply dismiss GCSE grades because they were taken at 15 or 16 would be unfair on the hundreds of students who do apply with excellent grades at GCSE. It would be unfair not recognise that achievement but at the same time I wouldn't say GCSEs are the be all and end all of the medical admissions process. But they are public exams with certification and if GCSEs weren't important at all then students wouldn't be required to sit them and they would simply just move straight onto A-levels.

GCSEs are not the sole criteria for the admissions process but they are an important aspect in terms of selection and as one or two have pointed out, not everyone will be applying with the A-level grades to hand or with declared AS modules and to simply go off an AAA prediction is insufficient.

An AAA prediction alongside a previous good academic track record at GCSE would give in the eyes of some tutors strong evidence to backup grade predictions.

If you get good AS leel grades and put together a strong all round application and get a good reference from your school/college and do well on the UKCAT/BMAT, there's no reason why you can't at least get an interview. How you then perform at interview will determine whether or not you get your place.
Reply 82
Original post by SemperVivum
Not the best idea to pick someone up on their grammar when your own is flawed.

Live and let live eh? :rolleyes:

hhaaa! LOL
Reply 83
Original post by Warrior King
There are no guarantees so I wouldn't be so cocksure about proclaiming that you'll get at least one interview.

Why are they so competitive? Medicine is a very popular degree course and career choice. Demand for places exceeds the supply and hence to filter out candidates and select from hundreds of suitably qualified and talented students, rigorous selection criteria needs to be put in place.

This may be high GCSE grades like at Birmingham, emphasis on the UKCAT at other places, emphasis on work experience and non-academic criteria. You have to be a well-rounded applicant to get a place a medical school.

Also if you aren't able to demonstrate some level of academic achievement even at the minimum level be it GCSE, A-Level etc. this may cast doubts into the minds of academic selectors who may feel you could well struggle with the academic and emotional demands of the course. I mean personally speaking I had great GCSEs and A-levels but even still I find Medicine difficult at the best of times.

If you could get your 3As at A-level it would go some way to proving your ability. Medicine is not an easy course. Ironically I would despite the competition, getting into medical school is the easy bit. Graduating from medical school is the tough bit although again I must stress that this is my personal opinion and doesn't necessarily reflect that of other students.

Also you ask why medical schools looks a GCSEs when they were taken at 15 or 16. Well tutors do realise that in some cases not everybody realises at 15/16 that they want to be a doctor and that some people "blossom" academically at around A-Level time and sometimes there can be factors affecting GCSE performance. However the bottom line is they are formal exams and qualifications which can be put on your form and to simply dismiss GCSE grades because they were taken at 15 or 16 would be unfair on the hundreds of students who do apply with excellent grades at GCSE. It would be unfair not recognise that achievement but at the same time I wouldn't say GCSEs are the be all and end all of the medical admissions process. But they are public exams with certification and if GCSEs weren't important at all then students wouldn't be required to sit them and they would simply just move straight onto A-levels.

GCSEs are not the sole criteria for the admissions process but they are an important aspect in terms of selection and as one or two have pointed out, not everyone will be applying with the A-level grades to hand or with declared AS modules and to simply go off an AAA prediction is insufficient.

An AAA prediction alongside a previous good academic track record at GCSE would give in the eyes of some tutors strong evidence to backup grade predictions.

If you get good AS leel grades and put together a strong all round application and get a good reference from your school/college and do well on the UKCAT/BMAT, there's no reason why you can't at least get an interview. How you then perform at interview will determine whether or not you get your place.

oo thankyou, that was very helpful indeed, what med school are you at at the moment and if you dont mind me asking what your grades were?
ahh i just hope i get give a shot, i mean people applying probably do have all the boxes ticked so again competition is ridiculous! and i like what you mentioned about "blossoming" at alevel stage, i feel im alot like that! :biggrin:
Original post by MedicSoon!
oo thankyou, that was very helpful indeed, what med school are you at at the moment and if you dont mind me asking what your grades were?
ahh i just hope i get give a shot, i mean people applying probably do have all the boxes ticked so again competition is ridiculous! and i like what you mentioned about "blossoming" at alevel stage, i feel im alot like that! :biggrin:

Signature at the bottom of the post will reveal all.
If you're starting threads with titles such as this one I don't really think you should be considering medical school!! Try McDonald's maybe!!
Reply 86
Original post by hassi94
Most med schools won't take your GCSEs into account too much as long as you do well in AS and are predicted high grades for A2.

Some of the easiest ones will be Bristol, Keele, Leeds, Leicester, Liverpool, Sheffield, UEA, Aberdeen, Glasgow, St Andrews and Cardiff.

I base this off the fact they only had requirements of AAB last year rather than the then-standard AAA.

EDIT: And don't Neg. me just because you go to one of these Unis. I'm basing that list off of a 2 minute look in a book and comparing them by one factor only. It is by no means definitive in any way - but I thought I'd add SOMETHING other than the people saying 'there is no easy one' because he's already stated he knows that!

I would completely ignore this (no offence). The majority of medical schools will look at your GCSEs, and OP, you will be at a disadvantage due to your poor (comparatively) GCSE results.

I'm not sure about the whole list but here's my two cents:

Sheffield want a UKCAT score of 720+, if you get this I'd suggest you apply.

Leicester take into account your lowest score (/subsection) in the UKCAT, and award points on each part of your application: references/grades etc. If your lowest score (/subsection) in the UKCAT is 700 and everything else is stellar, I guess I'd apply here (way out your lower marks for GCSEs/academics).

Leeds also mark your application and give priority (i.e. more marks) to those who already have A levels. I think you'd be at a disadvantage if applying here.

All of the medical schools are oversubscribed and difficult to get into. If you meet St George's minimum entry requirements, you'll be called for an interview. But, then again, so are A LOT of people, so you may have a chance if you interview very well.

All of these universities reject very good applications (UEA rejected my friend with 11A* and AAA as his predictions), so nothing is set in stone. It's quite likely for most applicants to get 4 rejections, so be productive; research; and pray. Good luck! x

NOTE: You should be predicted a minimum of AAA; have relevant work experience; and a good reference. Of course.
Reply 87
Original post by shaz111
Dont worry your never getting into medical school anyway. Annoying username, and "the most easiest"?... That is both grammatically retarded, and tells me your not particularly ambitious. My bet is your an asian as well.

Have a fun life...

Because of the OP's annoying username; lack of ambition; or poor grammar? :rolleyes:

EDIT: Only a complete ignorant a** would never me for this comment. Or the fact that he/she doesn't comprehend sarcasm.
(edited 13 years ago)
'The most easiest med school?'

Jog on, I want a doctor with literary skills above those of an 8 year old.
Reply 89
Original post by hassi94
Most med schools won't take your GCSEs into account too much as long as you do well in AS and are predicted high grades for A2.

Some of the easiest ones will be Bristol, Keele, Leeds, Leicester, Liverpool, Sheffield, UEA, Aberdeen, Glasgow, St Andrews and Cardiff.

I base this off the fact they only had requirements of AAB last year rather than the then-standard AAA.

EDIT: And don't Neg. me just because you go to one of these Unis. I'm basing that list off of a 2 minute look in a book and comparing them by one factor only. It is by no means definitive in any way - but I thought I'd add SOMETHING other than the people saying 'there is no easy one' because he's already stated he knows that!

Incorrect, inaccurate and down right liesss .... the simple fact is that when it comes to the ridiculously competitive world of medical school applications, in the majority of cases a medical school will favour an applicant with higher GCSEs because as they are so oversubscribed they have to be exceptionally pedantic about every part of your application. Simple truth is there no easy ones, but if you research admissions policies carefully and apply smartly you will be doing yourself a favour rather than a hindrance.

OP: You might find this article of use http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Medical_School_GCSE_Requirements
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 90
Original post by golddust&lipgloss
really? :lolwut:

Yeah thats what I thought! Seeing as St Andrews counts academic achievement as 50% of your application score, I'd say they were kind of important...
Reply 91
If medicine was easy, more people would be doctors. And if one place was easier than the other, would you not question the quality of the outcome? As stated before, either all medical schools are easy, or none of them are.
Reply 92
Given that you feel the most appropriate way of describing the least difficult med school as the 'most easiest'
(instead of easiest or (shudder) most easy),

and also that you're querying which med school you would find the least amount of challenge in,

for some reason, gives me the feeling that you wouldn't make a very good doctor.
Reply 93
Original post by xXxBaby-BooxXx

Original post by xXxBaby-BooxXx
And I hate to be a spelling nazi, but it's grammar :p:

very very true, my bad
Original post by shaz111

Have a fun life...

It's not the only thing that sounds 'grammatically retarded.' :rolleyes:
Original post by Ascendansy
It's not the only thing that sounds 'grammatically retarded.' :rolleyes:

haha....owned
Reply 96
Original post by ryan118244
-Kings like massively high GCSEs A* wise, unless you have a massively good UKCAT.
-St Andrews point academics so you need really good GCSEs because they dont weigh up the interview very much.
-Leeds, tend to like all rounders, so good GCSEs are suited for them.

The rest are definitely great suggestions though.

My bad, I was working my list off a very quick skim of admissions stuff and what I could remember from when I applied. Thanks for correcting me on that. :smile:
Reply 97
Original post by hiyarearl
My bad, I was working my list off a very quick skim of admissions stuff and what I could remember from when I applied. Thanks for correcting me on that. :smile:

Haha that's alright.
Well done on all your offers btw!!! :smile:
Reply 98
Original post by ryan118244
Haha that's alright.
Well done on all your offers btw!!! :smile:

Thanks. You too.
Original post by hassi94

I +ed!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending