The Student Room Group

Love doesn't exist

I'm not sure I believe love exists. I don't understand it, which isn't why I don't believe in it, but I do not believe that there is either some mystical joining of two humans, or that anyone could truly be so genuinely selfless for another.

Would you agree?

And yes, I know this has been done before, but hey-ho. :smile:

Scroll to see replies

In soviet Russia existing loves you.
I think it's best not to overthink these things.
Reply 3
Original post by hatemylife
I don't understand it, which isn't why I don't believe in it

A very very bad way of thinking if you ask me.
Did you just got dump by your partner? :holmes:
Reply 5
Of course it does, although that word is way overused to describe what is often just lust.

I hope you believe in love one day, I feel quite sorry for you. (lol jk, FOREVER_ALONE.JPG :awesome:)
of course it doesn't. the best thing to do is hook up with guys with no strings attached :cool:
Reply 7
Original post by kristinaalovesu
Did you just got dump by your partner? :holmes:

Original post by Cicerao
Of course it does, although that word is way overused to describe what is often just lust.

I hope you believe in love one day, I feel quite sorry for you. (lol jk, FOREVER_ALONE.JPG :awesome:)

No, I've never had a relationship (19...)

Well, I really do believe that even the smallest of 'selfless' acts are selfishly motivated. I acknowledge this of myself, in fact particularly myself. IT DOESN'T EXIST! :tongue:
Reply 8
Well, I really do believe that even the smallest of 'selfless' acts are selfishly motivated. I acknowledge this of myself, in fact particularly myself.

Well that is because you've never been in love. :P
Reply 9
Original post by Cicerao
Well that is because you've never been in love. :P

Because it doesn't exist :tongue: No, you're right, I never have been. Even if it does exist, I can't say I'd be one to ever find it. Not because I'm a self-loathing, self-pitying loner (although I am) but because I'm just not the sort that would open up to it and accept it if it were ever to present itself to me. So for me, it definitely doesn't exist, in a way.
Original post by sil3nt_cha0s
I think it's best not to overthink these things.

Very true.
I'm not sure I believe love exists. I don't understand it, which isn't why I don't believe in it, but I do not believe that there is either some mystical joining of two humans, or that anyone could truly be so genuinely selfless for another.

Would you agree?

And yes, I know this has been done before, but hey-ho. :smile:

It does.
Reply 12
from your OP you clearly dont understand love... at all. so i guess you're not in a position to dismiss it?

im not sure there's even a debate to be had about its 'existence'... but i just find it a bit sad that you havent been in love before. it's not about 'sefless acts'...its more about having a special connection with someone and loving them in spite of the imperfections. as hallmark cheesy as it sounds.

hope you find love someday OP, you're only young so you shouldnt give up yet!
Reply 13
Because it doesn't exist :tongue: No, you're right, I never have been. Even if it does exist, I can't say I'd be one to ever find it. Not because I'm a self-loathing, self-pitying loner (although I am) but because I'm just not the sort that would open up to it and accept it if it were ever to present itself to me. So for me, it definitely doesn't exist, in a way.

My boyfriend thought that, though. And bearing in mind he's almost 30, he had some time to think about it. He definitely believes in it now, though. :biggrin: (*holds up prompt for audience to say "awwww"*)
Reply 14
Original post by popple7
from your OP you clearly dont understand love... at all. so i guess you're not in a position to dismiss it?

im not sure there's even a debate to be had about its 'existence'... but i just find it a bit sad that you havent been in love before. it's not about 'sefless acts'...its more about having a special connection with someone and loving them in spite of the imperfections. as hallmark cheesy as it sounds.

hope you find love someday OP, you're only young so you shouldnt give up yet!

I think I understand it on a level higher than most. After all, the spectator sees more of the game. I am talking about all kinds of love. It doesn't exist as most think of it, or wish it to be. We obviously look at the world in different ways, so I hope I'm not coming off as rude. I could list reasons as to why I think like I do, but if this thread's still receiving attention tomorrow, I shall post some :tongue:
No, I've never had a relationship (19...)

Well, I really do believe that even the smallest of 'selfless' acts are selfishly motivated. I acknowledge this of myself, in fact particularly myself. IT DOESN'T EXIST! :tongue:

Wait until you are in/have had a relationship, then make a judgement. :smile:
Reply 16
I think I understand it on a level higher than most. After all, the spectator sees more of the game. I am talking about all kinds of love. It doesn't exist as most think of it, or wish it to be. We obviously look at the world in different ways, so I hope I'm not coming off as rude. I could list reasons as to why I think like I do, but if this thread's still receiving attention tomorrow, I shall post some :tongue:

i came across as massively patronising in my post :s-smilie: so sorry as well!

i just felt a bit sad for you, especially with your massively cheerful username :p: maybe you could revaluate your views and be more open to positive things like love etc.? although im making huuuuge assumptions about you, so could be way off the mark!

im a bit of an introvert, i enjoy my own company etc. but the one thing that makes me feel good when im down is my friends and my mum. when ive got problems... they are there for me, even if its just a lovely text or knowing they are thinking about me. that's love. and nothing compares to that feeling. it's not just about having a BF or GF, its important to find love in all kinds of places.

actually making myself vom right now, i could write for hallmark! i hate being so openly cheesy.. god bless the anonymity of the interwebz! im gonna stop before i burst into song, like a disney character or something haha.

edit: you're not coming across as rude at all btw !
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 17
Reply 18
Original post by DannyBoy123
Wait until you are in/have had a relationship, then make a judgement. :smile:

Agreed...

Also, there's different kinds of love... love for friends, family, partners... but if anyone ever tried to tell me that love for your own child doesn't exist, I'd wring their necks... :biggrin:
It's proven to be hormonal. And in France we say that it only last three years. I think that shows something.

However, love for your family, friends etc. is real. And after three years of relationship, what is left is a strong friendship.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending