The Student Room Group

Film Fanatics - Chat Thread II

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Ape Gone Insane
No worries, man. In a twist that no one seen coming, The Stig gets killed off by Jonny/Smirnoff in the series finale, paving the way for you to make your entrance into the world of solving cases. :holmes:

Then we blend into the world of scifi and discover that they weren't dupes, they were clones.

Original post by The Stig
All the usernames consist of two words, both starting with a capital letter :holmes: :tongue:.

Not just that. All the names are from Star Wars - Jango Fett was the template for the Kaminoan clones, and Boba Fett's dad; Kendal Ozzel was the Admiral of the Imperial Fleet until Darth Vader executed him when he blundered at Hoth; Captain Piett was captain of Vader's flagship, Executor, until Ozzel was killed and Piett succeeded him.
http://insidemovies.ew.com/2011/04/04/will-smith-jaden-smith-m-night-shyamalan/

New M. Night Shyamalan movie - we all so excited I'm sure :indiff: , also starring Will and Jaden in the same movie again
Original post by Jace Falco
Not just that. All the names are from Star Wars - Jango Fett was the template for the Kaminoan clones, and Boba Fett's dad; Kendal Ozzel was the Admiral of the Imperial Fleet until Darth Vader executed him when he blundered at Hoth; Captain Piett was captain of Vader's flagship, Executor, until Ozzel was killed and Piett succeeded him.

Learnt well you have, young padawan.
Reply 784
need a good film to watch tonight help me please
perhaps something similar to inception or that kind of area thanks in advance :biggrin:
Original post by elisabethbridge
No. Been meaning to check it out though cause I saw the trailer when it came out and it seemed pretty good. What did you think of it?

Also, I love the Oscar winning movie trailer video on your sig!

Haha good :smile: I keep watching it and it never gets old! (The trailer, that is...)

RED kept reminding me of Burn After Reading... I saw RED with my girlfriend who liked it more than I did (I didn't think the story was very good tbh :/) and I showed her Burn After Reading the week after or so and I preferred Burn After Reading but she preferred RED so to each their own I guess!

Obviously you can see the similarities with John Malkovich, some of the story, etc, and they do come across as very similar but at the same time very different so I guess one appeals more to one side of the audience and the other to the other...and I guess there'll be some overlap as well lol.

I think RED is more laugh-out-loud joke funny whilst Burn After Reading is more laughter because what's in front of you is just so...odd! I think I need to see RED again actually...

I'm gonna stop rambling now :smile:
2001: A space odyssey, wow did not know it cost that low budget wise, then again id dead come out in 1968 so that may have been a moderate sized budget back then

Box Office
Budget: $10,500,000 (estimated)
Gross: $190,700,000 (Worldwide) (31 December 1984)
As much as I love Stanley Kubrick and as much as I think 2001: A Space Odyssey is one of the biggest moments of cinema in special effects and in directing, as well as being one of the defining moments for science-fiction, I have to confess that the movie is just so ****ing boring. I'd take Empire Strikes Back any day. Sorry, I am now offering my body to be pillaged. Tuck in!
Original post by Madjackismad
As much as I love Stanley Kubrick and as much as I think 2001: A Space Odyssey is one of the biggest moments of cinema in special effects and in directing, as well as being one of the defining moments for science-fiction, I have to confess that the movie is just so ****ing boring. I'd take Empire Strikes Back any day. Sorry, I am now offering my body to be pillaged. Tuck in!

Agreed :smile:
Original post by cadaeibfeceh
Agreed :smile:

There are bits of 2001 that I really enjoy. The editing is fantastic in the film, the realisation of human inter-galactic travel and exploration of space is fantastic and quite possibly the best I've seen in any science-fiction film and not to mention that there is just some brilliantly iconic characters and objects such as HAL and the monolith. It's the story that bores me to tears.

These are not the dupes you are looking for.
Reply 791
Re: RED...

I really liked it. Not my usual kind of film but the cast was great and it was just all round a fun watch!
Original post by Phalanges
These are not the dupes you are looking for.

:laugh:
Original post by lukejoshjedi
2001: A space odyssey, wow did not know it cost that low budget wise, then again id dead come out in 1968 so that may have been a moderate sized budget back then

Box Office

The average house price back then was around 3-4k, so yeah, that was a big budget for the time.

Box Office

Just look at the films that came out around then. Bullitt - $5.5m. Rosemary's Baby - $2.3m. Planet of the Apes - $5.8m. The Thomas Crown Affair - $4.3m.

Trying to pretend that ten million dollars is a small amount in 1968 is, quite frankly, ludicrous.
Original post by cambo211

That bothers me. How would a test pilot know how to operate a minigun?
That bothers me. How would a test pilot know how to operate a minigun?

Because in the world of films it's as simple as point and pull the trigger.
http://www.totalfilm.com/features/100-amazing-darth-vader-helmets :biggrin:

I like the Clown Vader and Vader Liberty. And Spiky Bling Vader. Haha, they're all pretty cool.

Shall put RED on my watch list after all the good things said about it.
Original post by cambo211
Because in the world of films it's as simple as point and pull the trigger.

It's also a pointless waste of ring charge.

Quick Reply

Latest