The Student Room Group

What do you know about your girlfriends parents?

how much do you know about your girlfriends/boyfriends parents? do you know their jobs and do you talk to them all the time? is it necessary to know something about your gfs parents?
I know an awful lot about my girlfriends parents, grandparents, cousins, aunts, uncles, cousins of grandparants, siblings of parents... i've been living with my girlfriend since her dad died and she lives with her mother and grandparents, as well as being part of a very family orientated family...
it's normal to not know this much :P
basically, the longer you're with them, the more you'll know, and sometimes situations throw everyone in together, and you end up being very much involved with the family in a short spae of time... conversely, you can be together a long time and not get to know her family for years...
it all depends on circumstance, the more involved you are with family however, the harder it is to end the relationship, this can lead to problems if it ever turns into the reason your staying together though, as you should always, cheesy as it sounds, "follow your heart" and if the loves no there, finish it.

but yeah, started going off track so... :P, TL;DR = i know a lot about them, and talk to them a lot.
Reply 2
Original post by steve collins

Original post by steve collins
I know an awful lot about my girlfriends parents, grandparents, cousins, aunts, uncles, cousins of grandparants, siblings of parents... i've been living with my girlfriend since her dad died and she lives with her mother and grandparents, as well as being part of a very family orientated family...
it's normal to not know this much :P
basically, the longer you're with them, the more you'll know, and sometimes situations throw everyone in together, and you end up being very much involved with the family in a short spae of time... conversely, you can be together a long time and not get to know her family for years...
it all depends on circumstance, the more involved you are with family however, the harder it is to end the relationship, this can lead to problems if it ever turns into the reason your staying together though, as you should always, cheesy as it sounds, "follow your heart" and if the loves no there, finish it.

but yeah, started going off track so... :P, TL;DR = i know a lot about them, and talk to them a lot.

Just from this post I've decided I already don't like you.
Original post by DJ_Black
Just from this post I've decided I already don't like you.

Just from this post i've decided i already don't give a ****.
Well, the guy Im seeing right now. From the beginning of our friendship before we even started going out together we would tell each other some personal stuff. Like his parents job, his sister and some stuff like that but that's about it. I also tell him about my family and some problems, but it seems like he knows a lot about my family more than I do with him. I'd like to ask him more but I'm afraid he might find that a bit weird, hopefully later though I would be able to ask him without feeling uncomfortable.
Reply 5
Original post by SayonaraSamm

Original post by SayonaraSamm
I know their jobs, their history, and I play in their band.

Original post by kristinaalovesu
Well, the guy Im seeing right now. From the beginning of our friendship before we even started going out together we would tell each other some personal stuff. Like his parents job, his sister and some stuff like that but that's about it. I also tell him about my family and some problems, but it seems like he knows a lot about my family more than I do with him. I'd like to ask him more but I'm afraid he might find that a bit weird, hopefully later though I would be able to ask him without feeling uncomfortable.

what is their job?
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by Hey hi
what is their job?

though you weren't directly asking me, by asking them i realised i hadn't answered this part of your question so i'll do so now ;D

Her mum's disabled and has a trust... her dad was a forklift truck driver...
her grandpa however who owns the house they live in was a director in a large chemical company
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by Hey hi

Original post by Hey hi
what is their job?

His mom is an Editor and a writer and his dad is the Executive Director of a Seacology organization.
Original post by Hey hi

Original post by Hey hi
how much do you know about your girlfriends/boyfriends parents? do you know their jobs and do you talk to them all the time? is it necessary to know something about your gfs parents?

I know that they are very strict and don't allow her to date. I know that they don't talk to her and she thinks that they are very bad parents.

I think it is necessary... knowing about her parents gives her an idea of why she is who she is, as a person. Your parenting at home and your environment shape us as people.
With my ex, we practically lived at eachother's houses for four years and spent a great deal of time with eachother's families, so I knew quite a bit about them and was friendly with them, they gave me lifts to places, I went on holiday with them a few times (with my ex though.. not on my own) and he did the same with my mum and the rest of my family. I had quite a crazy family time so, my ex probably was closer than most, and helped babysit for my younger sister's baby for a while and stuff.

Guys I see more casually now, know very little... just bits and pieces like how many siblings I have, the situation at home which is why I don't go stay there, etc. And I might know some things about their families, like I met one guy's brother randomly on the first night I met him, or we'll talk about home situations, but not that much.

I think it just depends on people... some people are more private about their family circumstances, or aren't really affected by it so it never becomes a real 'thing' to talk about with their partner.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending