The Student Room Group

Love doesn't exist

Scroll to see replies

I thought I 'loved' someone once. I was wrong.

And the world kept on spinning.

Actually, now that I think of it, I haven't said those three words in years.
Reply 21
Well I've been in love with someone for 8 years, like unconditional I would die for you heartwrenching no one else compares kind of love. So if it turns out its not love what is it?
Reply 22
Original post by Cicerao
My boyfriend thought that, though. And bearing in mind he's almost 30, he had some time to think about it. He definitely believes in it now, though. :biggrin: (*holds up prompt for audience to say "awwww"*)

awwwwwwwww

started writing this post about an hour ago and forgot what I was going to say...
Reply 23
Original post by dizzy09
Agreed...

Also, there's different kinds of love... love for friends, family, partners... but if anyone ever tried to tell me that love for your own child doesn't exist, I'd wring their necks... :biggrin:

I actually don't think love for one's children truly exists (hides behind sofa) I shall post more on this topic tomorrow if I remember :tongue:
Reply 24
Original post by Arnotts
Well I've been in love with someone for 8 years, like unconditional I would die for you heartwrenching no one else compares kind of love. So if it turns out its not love what is it?

I'll post my reasons tomorrow when I've got more time :smile:
Reply 25
Original post by hatemylife
I actually don't think love for one's children truly exists (hides behind sofa) I shall post more on this topic tomorrow if I remember :tongue:

Ahh, but you don't have kids... you don't know...
Believe me, when you get a knot in your stomach when your little one cries over a scraped knee... Or when you wish to high heaven you were ill instead of them, then hell... surely that's love?
Bad breakup, hon? :console:
Reply 27
Original post by Nick Longjohnson
I thought I 'loved' someone once. I was wrong.

And the world kept on spinning.

Actually, now that I think of it, I haven't said those three words in years.

I've said them to close family... that's it... but then, I don't get close to many people these days...
A lot of people posting on here with whether they love ANYMORE or not, etc....
but it's still pretty certain that it exists, why? because it's a mindset. that's like saying determination doesn't exist. Just because you don't feel it yourself all the time, it's still 99.99999% certain that at some point in your life, you'll experience the feeling.
Original post by dizzy09
Ahh, but you don't have kids... you don't know...
Believe me, when you get a knot in your stomach when your little one cries over a scraped knee... Or when you wish to high heaven you were ill instead of them, then hell... surely that's love?

That's your love for them - not how everyone feels. Brigitte Bardot actually said she never felt anything for her son, that she would even have preferred to give birth to a puppy.
A mother's love is not always unconditional, but that depends on the mother and the child.
Reply 30
Original post by Le Récamier
That's your love for them - not how everyone feels. Brigitte Bardot actually said she never felt anything for her son, that she would even have preferred to give birth to a puppy.
A mother's love is not always unconditional, but that depends on the mother and the child.

Aye, but OP said she didn't believe that a mother's love for a child didn't exist. She didn't say anything about it being dependant on the mother and child...
Reply 31
Romantic love is, in scientific terms, the release of hormones which leads us to be attracted and have intense feelings for a partner. This happens when you meet a suitable partner which your body recognise as suitable to mate with. The feelings peek after a year, by which time, naturally you should have conceived a child. After this, the so called love feelings dies, because our instinct presumes the other is unable to have children. Our modern life might not suite the natural way of doing things, but mankind can not undone millions of years of evolution in a single generation. At the end of it we are simply animals.

I'm not sure I believe love exists. I don't understand it, which isn't why I don't believe in it, but I do not believe that there is either some mystical joining of two humans, or that anyone could truly be so genuinely selfless for another.

Would you agree?

And yes, I know this has been done before, but hey-ho. :smile:

Love exists if you believe it exists. It isn't a physical object, you can't hold it. Therefore, it's creation or existence is entirely dependent on you believing in it.
Original post by steve collins

A lot of people posting on here with whether they love ANYMORE or not, etc....
but it's still pretty certain that it exists, why? because it's a mindset. that's like saying determination doesn't exist. Just because you don't feel it yourself all the time, it's still 99.99999% certain that at some point in your life, you'll experience the feeling.

I can understand what you're saying and I agree with the concept, although it isn't necessarily because you'll experience that feeling because what if you never hear the word love and you dont' know that word exists? Then how do you define that feeling you get around that person?

A lot of people don't understand the whole idea of lust or biological hormones signaling for us to have sex... which is ultimately what it all boils down to. Organisms live to reproduce.

Love is a byproduct of this created by us humans.
Original post by Swanbow
Romantic love is, in scientific terms, the release of hormones which leads us to be attracted and have intense feelings for a partner. This happens when you meet a suitable partner which your body recognise as suitable to mate with. The feelings peek after a year, by which time, naturally you should have conceived a child. After this, the so called love feelings dies, because our instinct presumes the other is unable to have children. Our modern life might not suite the natural way of doing things, but mankind can not undone millions of years of evolution in a single generation. At the end of it we are simply animals.

Is there like, a study or something into this? Not because I don't believe you, because I think it sounds really interesting :smile:
Original post by Young Spade
what if you never hear the word love and you dont' know that word exists? Then how do you define that feeling you get around that person?

QUOTE]

you could say this about anything.
If you've never heard of the word Hate, and didn' know the word, or othere synonymous words, existed, then how would you define THAT feeling you get around a person.

Language arguments can't really be used in conversations like this as they can be used too often, we have to work with the words we have or it all gets confusing, and love is one of them words.
Reply 36
Original post by thecaterpillar
Is there like, a study or something into this? Not because I don't believe you, because I think it sounds really interesting :smile:

Yeah, there was a study somewhere about it but I'm really sorry it slipped my mind where from haah. Think it was a lot to do with oxytocin levels. Search around the internet and hopefully you should find it. Remember the BBC did a short article on it a year or two ago.
Original post by Swanbow
Yeah, there was a study somewhere about it but I'm really sorry it slipped my mind where from haah. Think it was a lot to do with oxytocin levels. Search around the internet and hopefully you should find it. Remember the BBC did a short article on it a year or two ago.

I think I'll have a look for it :smile: thanks anyway x) my anthropologist brain is all interested.

[QUOTE="collins;30700473" steve="steve"]
what if you never hear the word love and you dont' know that word exists? Then how do you define that feeling you get around that person?

QUOTE]

you could say this about anything.
If you've never heard of the word Hate, and didn' know the word, or othere synonymous words, existed, then how would you define THAT feeling you get around a person.

Language arguments can't really be used in conversations like this as they can be used too often, we have to work with the words we have or it all gets confusing, and love is one of them words.

Hmm? No I'm talking about the actual existance of something, anything for that matter. If you don't know about it, it doesn't exist to you.

Could be love, hate, fat, sad, words, language constructs how we think about things. We are mentally limited by our language. If you can't describe something to me because you can't find the right words to, you are limited in your understanding of that object.

If you have never heard of love before, how would you describe that feeling? Warm? Powerful? Soft? Calm? Tremendous? Of course those are adjectives and stil don't give a definition of what the feeling is.

Thus, love does not exist to you.

Hmm? No I'm talking about the actual existance of something, anything for that matter. If you don't know about it, it doesn't exist to you.

Could be love, hate, fat, sad, words, language constructs how we think about things. We are mentally limited by our language. If you can't describe something to me because you can't find the right words to, you are limited in your understanding of that object.

If you have never heard of love before, how would you describe that feeling? Warm? Powerful? Soft? Calm? Tremendous? Of course those are adjectives and stil don't give a definition of what the feeling is.

Thus, love does not exist to you.

i understand your point, but what i'm saying, is that argument trumps every feeling/emotion/political standpoint/ ANYTHING not physical.
what i'm saying is BECAUSE it's such an 'ultimate argument' it becomes a null argument. because to use it, takes the meaning away from pretty much everything.
so, for the sake of argument, and to continue everyday lie, and have relationships, bonds, thoughts, feelings, emotions etc. it is necessary to set that point aside
(edited 13 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending