The Student Room Group

Should cannabis be made legal?

This poll is closed

Should cannabis be made legal?

YES 68%
NO 25%
UNDECIDED7%
Total votes: 28
The only reason why i think drugs such as cannabis are illegal is because it will be difficult to tax it since it can easily be grown. Alcohol and smoking are proven to do more damage than cannabis, yet we take em every single day and the government reaps the rewards due to the huge taxes.
I mean SO WHAT cannabis causes "paranoia"..it doesn't directly affect the people around like smoking does. Its absolutely stupid to think that smoking is legal even though it has a direct link to CANCER and about 100,000 people in the UK die from that alone.
If anyone thinks cannabis should be illegal is an absolute tool.
(edited 13 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

No.
Reply 2
Original post by Jellybean91
No.

Absolute

:facepalm:
judging by how much fun Harold and Kumar get upto....I SAY YES!!! :biggrin:

judging by the strain on the NHS....no :frown:
Yes! and Cigs should be ILLEGAL instead!

Seriously, i would be more than happy to pay the added tax for a box of spliffs over the shelf.
Original post by viksta1000
judging by how much fun Harold and Kumar get upto....I SAY YES!!! :biggrin:

judging by the strain on the NHS....no :frown:

one reason weed causes issues at the moment is that its (obviously) completely unregulated, legalising and regulating the strength and amount people can buy would relieve some of these issues.

weed would bring in a tonne of money that could be used to relieve that strain on the NHS. you could also argue it would cut the use of other drugs as people would move away from dealers and into actual shops meaning they wouldn't have access to other drugs. this would cut a large source of income from gangs (and even the taliban)

obviously this is just one side of it, you can easily counter most of those points and counter those in return. it's such a complicated issue.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by NO ONE
Absolute

:facepalm:

Cheers for the neg. Prick.

You asked for my opinion. I gave it.
Reply 7
yes, youd have less flights going to amsterdam as a result :biggrin:
Reply 8
Yes, but anyone who gets hooked on it gets no help. It's their fault, they can deal with it.
Reply 9
Original post by Jellybean91
Cheers for the neg. Prick.

You asked for my opinion. I gave it.

I didn't neg you missy pussycat. I ran out of negs about 5 posts ago.

Jeez, talk about taking online posts Literally...
Reply 10
Not arsed. I don't smoke it. I probably won't and people will still smoke it legal or illegal.
This thread has been done. A lot.
The answer is always a resounding yes.

Anyway, I'm going to add my "yes" to the pile, and say at the same time that every other drug should be legalised too.
Reply 12
All drugs except heroin, crack and meth should be legal.
Original post by JamesyB
Yes, but anyone who gets hooked on it gets no help. It's their fault, they can deal with it.

And yet we have Alcoholics Anonymous, gambling addiction centres and Nicorette. Some people are susceptible, it's not a reason to cast them aside.
Original post by NO ONE
I didn't neg you missy pussycat. I ran out of negs about 5 posts ago.

Jeez, talk about taking online posts Literally...

Lol christ do you really think if i was taking it that seriously id have just posted a point blank 'no.' :tongue:
Reply 15
Another opportunity for Soviet Russia...

Original post by py0alb
All drugs except heroin, crack and meth should be legal.

I second the spirit of this, though in practice new drugs become available all the time. Just because they haven't been around as long as heroin doesn't necessarily mean they're not as worthy of being banned.
Reply 17
Original post by TurboCretin
I second the spirit of this, though in practice new drugs become available all the time. Just because they haven't been around as long as heroin doesn't necessarily mean they're not as worthy of being banned.

New drugs that are as addictive and socially, psychologically and physically damaging as those three? You would have to consider banning them as well I suppose. I'm not aware of any, but its not particularly a hobby of mine.
Original post by py0alb
New drugs that are as addictive and socially, psychologically and physically damaging as those three? You would have to consider banning them as well I suppose. I'm not aware of any, but its not particularly a hobby of mine.

Just a hypothetical. All I'm saying is a blanket policy that no drug be banned other than those three might need some revision somewhere down the line.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 19
Original post by TurboCretin
Just a hypothetical. All I'm saying is a blanket policy that no drug be banned other than those three might need some revision somewhere down the line.

Well yes of course. My actual stance isn't so simplistic as the single sentence suggestion I outlined above. I would slowly legalise a range of drugs on a yearly basis, with an extremely thorough licensing and and monitoring procedure put into practice to ensure that negative effects were kept to a minimum. In principle, I would legalise every drug currently available except the three I mentioned above, but that would be carefully reviewed before anything happened.

Latest

Trending

Trending