The Student Room Group

"Religion causes more bad than good." Opinions?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by bov
i see posts like this and i think why bother writing anything if i cant articulate as well as thiss.. one day.

haha cheers bro, it is perhaps the only good side of the many pointless arguments I have had on here that I am now slowsly starting to write more coherrently, at least it bodes well for uni!
Reply 41
Original post by Alexisonfire
Obviously

sorry to be stupid but is that the twin towers?, well imagine a world withoiut religion, we would probably still have the twin towers and the people who died in it. Most wars and terrorist attacks are due to religion
Original post by chloe-xo
sorry to be stupid but is that the twin towers?, well imagine a world withoiut religion, we would probably still have the twin towers and the people who died in it. Most wars and terrorist attacks are due to religion

Yes, those are the twin towers. :biggrin:
No worries.
Reply 43
Religion causes all the trouble in our society. It leads to conflicts in the form of wars and terroism. Also disputes with scientists and crime. Is it really worth it? Although at the same time it does have the capability to bring people together.
Reply 44
Original post by Darkphilosopher
Gorillas get along well without religion :cool:

They also fight without religion. What's your point?
Reply 45
Original post by Aphotic Cosmos
Religion does not specifically trigger a lot of violence, aside from in some psychopaths, but it does provides ample justification for war, moreso than any other cause, that is very hard to logically question because those fighting in the name of a religion have abandoned all logic and believe that they are right in the eyes of the creator of the universe. And who can blame them - those who wield "divine authority" over their weak-minded religious thralls threaten them with eternal damnation if the work of "insert god's name here" is not done, so consequently they will fight to the death. Conveniently, god's work usually coincides with the personal ambitions of those who wield religious authority. :rolleyes:

Without religion there would be one less justification for war in the world. At that, the least logically coherent, morally sound and purposeful justification. That can only be a good thing.

Provide evidence please?
Original post by SAK.A

They also fight without religion. What's your point?

They're just enthusiastically hugging each other :biggrin:

Anyway, I was refuting this point.

If there was no religion introduced in the long past do you seriously think humans today would be able to display acts of kindness and compassion as we see today?
Reply 47
The world would be better if everyone didn't base their life/way of thinking on religion.

The French and Scandinavians are doing it right. Even a lot of ex-soviet eastern European nations.
Reply 48
Original post by planetearth
It's easy for many of us to say yes.

Because we believe religion to be illogical and backward, and look down at those who follow it.

But think of all those people who don't even have basic survival needs.

Those 1 billion humans without access to clean water, all those children and people with no prospects, futures or hopes, no education, no support and no provision.

Religion is one of the few things they cling to, that gives meaning to their life and brings happiness, regardless of whether it is true or not.

Focussing on a few bad incidents some people interpret to be related to religion does not give one a good answer.

" I don't have much truck with the ' religion is the cause of most of our wars' school of thought because that is manifestly done by mad, manipulative and power-hungry men who cloak their ambition in God. " - Terry Pratchett.

fair point
Reply 49
Original post by chloe-xo

wow.
This has already been debated by Christopher Hitchens and Tony Blair: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ddsz9XBhrYA

Christopher Hitchens won.
Depending on who you are and what your background and environment is, I think it will vary from person to person, you can't just say it will do more bad or good.

If you're talking about a nationwide/countrywide/worldwide view, then there's really no way to go about answering that since... well we live in a world with religion... and lots of different ones at that.

For people in middle to lower class though, religion is looked upon as a guiding light, something to look forward to and something to hold on to in times of need.
Reply 52
If you want a serious answer, it's one that tests the limits of philosophy. The reason being you have to decide on a criteria by which you judge bad and good. Everyone wants to play at home. Those pro-science want to decide the question objectively, applying rationality and producing evidence. Those who genuinly believe that Christ is eternal salvation will want to judge whether religion is better than non-religion at getting people to heaven. Buddhists will want to judge it by the extent to which religion is better than no-religion at bringing about the complete dissolution of the self. There's no playing at Wembley, because every way of approaching the question unfairly favours someone - in the end it ultimately becomes about power. This is whether it's in the form of the sciencey sorts browbeating people into feeling bad about about approach something without reason being predominant, or religious people bible-thumping their way into the authority of heaven etc.

However, even within the evidential approach I'd say it'd be silly to say life would be better without religion. How many wars/people-caused-disasters, looking specifically at those that caused the most loss of human life, were caused by religion? Answer, not that many - very few indeed (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_wars_and_anthropogenic_disasters_by_death_toll). Conflict's always about pride or power. Sayings how we'll always be vain and always want more, regardless of religion, the question is ultimately moot.

Whether religion contrains the person - whether human beings themselves would be more worthwhile without religion would require a different sort of answer. But still, saying's the worlds' geniuses and kindest people and in general most excellent people seem pretty evenly spread, it seems like it's pretty much irrelevant.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 53
Absolutely.
Original post by adam_zed
"Me and my friend have different methods of eating oreos. Now he thinks that snapping them in half is correct where as I know to truly get the best from it one must dunk it in milk. We get fustrated that each other cannot come around to our perceived right methods of eating oreos. This escalates as we start vandalising each others property and culminates in me killing him, purely because I know I am right."

Conflict exists with any sort of divisive concept whether it be political ideology or ethnicity. I would say that the problem lies not with any of these things, rather humans themselves.

Also the car bomb, correct me if I am wrong, was about nationalist issues and not religion. This false association is true also of many of the worst atrocities in recent years that are lumped with "oh that damn religion". 9/11, whilst justified by the culprits through the word of Allah was motivated by American presence in Saudi Arabia. 7/7 was based on the perceived evil behaviour of occupying forces in the middle east. Whilst both can be related in some way to religion, to blame them on religion themselves whilst ignorimg the geo-political causes is just wrong.

Yes, but the difference is that eating Oreos doesn't bring with it the promise of eternal salvation, which actually means quite a lot to people-hence the problem with religion...
Original post by Pfundner
Yesterday while I was at work the news was on the radio and the report was about the violent protests against the Koran burning pastor, and my boss said something like "damn religion, all it ever causes is confrontation and war. ever since religion has existed people have been fighting over it". And it got me thinking, would the world be better if there was no religion? I know this is completely hypothetical and will almost certainly never happen but just in theory, what do you guys think? Do the wars outweigh the good that religion inspires people to do?

Here's some links that are on the BBC front page as I type this (kinda emphasizing the point that its constantly causing problems)

NI car bomb against catholic police officer http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-12950933
Koran protests http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-south-asia-12949975
Suicide bomb in Pakistan against Muslim minority group http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-south-asia-12951923

Look at this way, in any extremeist society (or traditional ones), religion is skewed to fit the extremist's perspective. It does not mean that religion encourages conflict.. theoretically. However some people choose to impose their beliefs upon people, and that is what causes the conflict. Should religion be banned? No. People have a right to follow a certain way of life as long as it doesn't impose on someone else's life- also, people, in general, need to be open minded to this fact and accept that not everyone is like them.
Reply 56
Original post by KingMessi
Yes, but the difference is that eating Oreos doesn't bring with it the promise of eternal salvation, which actually means quite a lot to people-hence the problem with religion...

:s-smilie: How is promising an enhanced level of spirituality a "problem"? The anology had nothing to do with the fact that they were eating oreas rather the fact that such conflict stems not from the concept of religion or eating oreas, rather a human egotistical problem. Every difference between us imaginable has been used to legitimize violence against those different, from skin colour right down to someone's postcode.
Original post by adam_zed
:s-smilie: How is promising an enhanced level of spirituality a "problem"? The anology had nothing to do with the fact that they were eating oreas rather the fact that such conflict stems not from the concept of religion or eating oreas, rather a human egotistical problem. Every difference between us imaginable has been used to legitimize violence against those different, from skin colour right down to someone's postcode.

But then why instigate one more? And religion is different, because of what it offers and promises...
Reply 58
Original post by KingMessi
But then why instigate one more? And religion is different, because of what it offers and promises...

:s-smilie: care to offer any explanation behind those empty words? Poitical ideology also offers and promises things yet, in fact bad acts are also "legitimized" under this" yet I dont think you will give it quite the scrutiny that you appear to be giving organised religion. Why is this?
(edited 13 years ago)
It's not religion that's bad - religion is a wonderful thing. It's what people do with their religious beliefs that can be challenging!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending