The Student Room Group

Can I ask the university to lower their offer for me?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Arielle

Original post by Arielle
Yes that is true. I just assumed I would be rejected as they took so long to reply and had unconditionals from other universities so I didn't bother re-taking it. I realise that I should have filled out a re-take form anyway, but that was about a month ago and I only received the offer today.

I'm just trying to think of a nice way to explain this to the admissions team. :s-smilie:

It doesn't matter what you thought would happen, its what has happened.

If you stated on your UCAS form that you were taking the exam and they've given you an offer on the basis of taking the exam, it changes your entire position with them. When you originally posted it seemed like they had set you an unobtainable condition when you had not stated you were taking French, so therefore it would be okay to query the offer. If they have set you an offer whereby as far as they are concerned, you're taking the French exams and can achieve it, then its a different story.

As far as they're concerned, you've now changed the terms under which they gave you an offer so they can now revoke it instead of changing it because you've essentially lied to them. Getting them to just change it to an unconditional because you couldn't be bothered to do the exam that you said you were doing will be much harder than getting it changed due to a mistake on their part. Why should they?
Reply 21
Original post by oxymoronic
It doesn't matter what you thought would happen, its what has happened.

If you stated on your UCAS form that you were taking the exam and they've given you an offer on the basis of taking the exam, it changes your entire position with them. When you originally posted it seemed like they had set you an unobtainable condition when you had not stated you were taking French, so therefore it would be okay to query the offer. If they have set you an offer whereby as far as they are concerned, you're taking the French exams and can achieve it, then its a different story.

As far as they're concerned, you've now changed the terms under which they gave you an offer so they can now revoke it instead of changing it because you've essentially lied to them. Getting them to just change it to an unconditional because you couldn't be bothered to do the exam that you said you were doing will be much harder than getting it changed due to a mistake on their part. Why should they?

Well as someone stated, I can still apply for a re-take with a penalty fee now, so I can explain this to them. I do understand it's really cheeky to do so, and if the typical offer was in fact ABB then I wouldn't query it and I would do the exam no matter what.

However, I already have the grades A*BC. They state on UCAS that their typical offers are ABB-BBC. So I would assume (or hope) that they gave me a conditional because I stated I would be re-taking.

If I tell them that I am no longer re-taking, but have the necessary A-levels (including an A* in the subject of my degree) that falls within their typical grade offer bracket, then I'm hoping there might be a chance of some sort of negotiation. There are others who have applied for this degree who have the grades ACC and have been accepted so it's not impossible.

I don't want to sound up myself, but they obviously want me to come to their university if they've given me an offer, and I will express that they are my firm choice.
Original post by Arielle
Well as someone stated, I can still apply for a re-take with a penalty fee now, so I can explain this to them. I do understand it's really cheeky to do so, and if the typical offer was in fact ABB then I wouldn't query it and I would do the exam no matter what.

However, I already have the grades A*BC. They state on UCAS that their typical offers are ABB-BBC. So I would assume (or hope) that they gave me a conditional because I stated I would be re-taking.

If I tell them that I am no longer re-taking, but have the necessary A-levels (including an A* in the subject of my degree) that falls within their typical grade offer bracket, then I'm hoping there might be a chance of some sort of negotiation. There are others who have applied for this degree who have the grades ACC and have been accepted so it's not impossible.

I don't want to sound up myself, but they obviously want me to come to their university if they've given me an offer, and I will express that they are my firm choice.

Would most likely be negotiated at most. I can't imagine they'd change it to an unconditional.
Original post by Arielle

Original post by Arielle

They also only want you to come to their university if you get a B in French.
If they wanted you with no strings attached then they would have given you an unconditional.

As a retake candidate, they would be expecting grades at the higher end of their typical offer, if not higher. The ABB-BBC grades are for applicants in their first sitting and universities often give significantly higher offers to applicants who are resitting, which is why I would assume they are not willing to let you get in with a C in one subject.

I hope it does go well for you and they agree to change the offer, but I am just clarifying what could easily be the reality of the situation when you speak to them. There's no point doing otherwise.
Original post by Arielle
I've got an offer to do Sociology at the University of Bath which I received today which I am really happy about because it's definitely my first choice and I want to firm it.

However, they want me to re-take my French grade to get a B (I have a C). To be honest, I thought I was going to be rejected and had unconditional offers for other universities so when the time came to send of the form to re-take French, I didn't bother with it so now have missed the deadline.

Now Bath have given me an offer, I can't actually re-take French. If they had told me their decision earlier I could have done. I haven't done any revision for it either and it's a whole A-level I would have to re-take.

Their typical offer on UCAS is ABB-BBC and I fall within this category with my grades anyway, so could I ring them and ask if they could give me an unconditional? I think it is reasonable. What do you think?

I thought you can still enter for resits, you just have to pay late-fees.
Original post by Arielle

If you're no longer taking an exam that you told the universities you would be taking, you need to inform them - all of them. Your other offers are still within their rights to revoke your place because the information you supplied them has now changed.
Original post by Arielle

The most important word there is typical. It does not bind them to make the same offer, or even range of offers, to everyone. Your situation has not changed: you can still re-take as you said you would, and attain the offer requirements although, through your own lack of care, it will cost you more money. The university has the right to revoke the offer if you don't re-take after all, regardless of the financial implications to you. I'd stick with what I have if I were you.
Reply 27
Original post by Arielle
I think it's because I said I was re-taking French anyway and had a prediction in it and everything. I know I shouldn't get my hopes up, I'm just trying to build up a good reason why they should be able to give me an unconditional! :smile:
And then you have decided not to. In other words you have made a material change to your application and ANY of your offers could be amended as a result. You must advise all your universities of this change - you undertook to do this when you submitted your application.
Reply 28
Original post by lechaton-x

Original post by lechaton-x
Well, it's a different situation to you. But here's what I did...

Sent an email to admissions, as politely as I could saying that I couldn't meet the offer.
Phoned back a week later to make sure it had all been followed up.
- It hadn't, but the admissions line put me through to the subject specific admissions team- and they basically said that it was fine and said the new offer would come through on UCAS in a few days...

and that was Exeter, I know we're not talking Oxbridge here- but I like to think that Exeter is a very good and well-thought of school, and they were sympathetic to my case.

Hey, I am probably gonna do the same thing as u did. As they gave me the offer of 3As, however I only got like AAB in Jan.
Do you mind telling me which email address u sent??
Original post by phoenixfay
Hey, I am probably gonna do the same thing as u did. As they gave me the offer of 3As, however I only got like AAB in Jan.
Do you mind telling me which email address u sent??

Just the admissions office, google it.
I pretty much negotiated my offer from Cardiff University, I said I doubt I'll get a B in physics and they went, okay, we will offer you a C - I don't know if this will help, but I guess it shows they could be lenient, you don't ask you don't get!
I'm doing sociology and I had offers from Bristol and Bath and this year is my gap year and so I'm resitting. What are your unconditional offers? Are they so bad compared to Bath?
Reply 32
Original post by gallivandalf
I'm doing sociology and I had offers from Bristol and Bath and this year is my gap year and so I'm resitting. What are your unconditional offers? Are they so bad compared to Bath?

I have them from Sussex, Exeter(twice) and Bath Spa. They're not that bad compared to Bath they're all good unis but Bath is my top choice and I will feel very disappointed if I don't get in. Bath are currently reviewing my application again to see if they can offer me an unconditional. Scary stuff.
well if all goes a bit wrong then I would choose exeter out of them. You do have good insurances but at least you're going for what you want instead of just making do!

At Bath are you doing the 4 year course? The one with a placement year? I had an A at sociology last year so they offered me two Bs in my other subjects and Bristol offered me B and a C. I can't decide between the two though D:
Reply 34
well if all goes a bit wrong then I would choose exeter out of them. You do have good insurances but at least you're going for what you want instead of just making do!

At Bath are you doing the 4 year course? The one with a placement year? I had an A at sociology last year so they offered me two Bs in my other subjects and Bristol offered me B and a C. I can't decide between the two though D:

I applied for the 3 year course but I'm thinking about changing it to the 4 year or doing it with a HRM placement. I'm not sure! I firmed Bath last year and insured Bristol so was in a similar situation to you :wink: I chose Bath because it was such a lovely city, so pretty and a generally nice area to live in, but Bristol is 20mins away for the big nights out!
True! Even though Bristol is in the heart of the city the campus is so spread out which is a bit D: I havent been to Bath yet but from pictures and what people have said its stunning. Are you doing a gap year too? What made you not choose Bristol this year? Its such a nightmare choosing unis though the second time round, you just don't want to get it wrong.

I'm stuck on deciding this year because Bristol has study abroad but Bath is a work placement so which one is more valuable is the question i guess :/
Reply 36
True! Even though Bristol is in the heart of the city the campus is so spread out which is a bit D: I havent been to Bath yet but from pictures and what people have said its stunning. Are you doing a gap year too? What made you not choose Bristol this year? Its such a nightmare choosing unis though the second time round, you just don't want to get it wrong.

I'm stuck on deciding this year because Bristol has study abroad but Bath is a work placement so which one is more valuable is the question i guess :/

I didn't choose Bristol because I just couldn't really see myself there, to be honest. And yes, I'm doing a gap year. And yeah, I know! I've always loved Bath though so it wasn't too hard for me :smile:

Oh and just to let people know, my offer was changed to unconditional after this so... it's not impossible. I have a definite place now without retaking. Thanks for everyone's advice!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending