The Student Room Group

Lets set Land Rovers record straight here

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by FXX
The diesel Land Rovers do like 20mpg don't they? Still half the mpg of a normal car.

Even my petrol 3.5 V8 manages 30 on a run!

OK that goes down to about 9 if I cane it but w/e lol!
Original post by Landie_Man
I recently started a thread about my vehicle choice to see how people react to a student driving a Land Rover.

I expected a lot of people to think "spoilt child", "unnecessary luxury" yada yada yada.

This proves that people think of Landies as posh, luxurious 4x4s when of course that certainly is not the case. They may have strayed off their routes in the last 15 years or so, but to set the record straight, Landies are classless, it doesn't matter if your rich or poor, a workman or an estate owner, nobody is going to know or care. A landie says nothing about those who are driving it, it doesn't dress itself up to be something it isn't, its just a simple, basic, no *******s versatile vehicle which will do, almost anything within reason.

It doesn't cool your face with aircon, it doesn't smother you in comfort, in fact it usually forces freezing water in your face, and coat you with the smell of oil, but it ticks over with a basic no frills engine which a monkey could fix!

They may have strayed off their routes recently, but at the end of the day, they are stereotypically a simple, basic 4x4,

A True British icon.

They are a British countryside icon.

The thing with landrovers is that unless you're working on a farm and actually NEED the 4x4 gear box, there is no reason to have one unless you do it for the status.

People who have 4x4s and live in the city really piss me off anyway.
Reply 22
Original post by mother_eve3088
They are a British countryside icon.

The thing with landrovers is that unless you're working on a farm and actually NEED the 4x4 gear box, there is no reason to have one unless you do it for the status.

People who have 4x4s and live in the city really piss me off anyway.

Why do they piss you off? Is it jelousy, perhaps?

What other people spend their money on is NONE of your business!
Reply 23
Original post by JC.

It pisses me off when they're almost scraping the side of my car because they can't fit into their own lane around tight corners.
Reply 24
Original post by FXX
It pisses me off when they're almost scraping the side of my car because they can't fit into their own lane around tight corners.

Almost doesnt = a problem does it? :wink:
Reply 25
Original post by JC.
Almost doesnt = a problem does it? :wink:

Well yes when the only reason they haven't hit me is because I've slowed down to let them go through. If they can't fit in the lanes they shouldn't be in the city.
Original post by JC.

Jealousy? No not at all actually! I have no need for a 4x4, and I'm perfectly happy with my 20 year old Golf :smile:

It may be none of my business what they spend their money on, however having 4x4s when you are living in a city and DON'T need it annoys me.

Firstly, they emit more than smaller cars.

Secondly, they take up more space and are generally more awkward.

Thirdly - you live in a ruddy CITY! Its not like you're going to be scaling mountains and going down dirty tracks on insane slopes. You are driving along a road that is fully tarmacked and taken care of. Its simply ridiculous!
Reply 27
Original post by FXX
Well yes when the only reason they haven't hit me is because I've slowed down to let them go through. If they can't fit in the lanes they shouldn't be in the city.

I don't see you objecting to lorrys? They are pretty big...
Reply 28
Original post by JC.
I don't see you objecting to lorrys? They are pretty big...

I think there are fewer lorries rolling around the middle of town than 4x4s. Those that are around have a point - you can't fit furniture or something else you're delivering in a car. Buses take up space too but if everyone who was on a bus took a car the traffic would be insane, so again, there is a point. 4x4s do just as much around town as a small car, except they take up more room.
Reply 29
Jealousy? No not at all actually! I have no need for a 4x4, and I'm perfectly happy with my 20 year old Golf :smile:

It may be none of my business what they spend their money on, however having 4x4s when you are living in a city and DON'T need it annoys me.

Firstly, they emit more than smaller cars.

Secondly, they take up more space and are generally more awkward.

Thirdly - you live in a ruddy CITY! Its not like you're going to be scaling mountains and going down dirty tracks on insane slopes. You are driving along a road that is fully tarmacked and taken care of. Its simply ridiculous!

It's not rediculous at all. What you want and what you need are very different things.
There is a duck in my fridge and a bottle of wine at the moment. I only *need* bread and water but I'm looking forward to the duck and the plonk.

If you are happy with a bread and water car, fine. Doesn't mean the rest of us have to mope round in dreary horrid little boxes.

As to emmissions? So what! That might be high on your agenda, it certainly isn't very high on everyones. It's actually bottom on mine. The smallest engine I own at the moment is 3.5 litres and even that is a bit on the small side if I'm honest.

However, on a personal level, when the snow was quite bad last year the only folk getting through were those in 4x4's and me in my 40 year old RWD classic with skinny tyres.
Reply 30
Original post by FXX
I think there are fewer lorries rolling around the middle of town than 4x4s. Those that are around have a point - you can't fit furniture or something else you're delivering in a car. Buses take up space too but if everyone who was on a bus took a car the traffic would be insane, so again, there is a point. 4x4s do just as much around town as a small car, except they take up more room.

The bigger ones do tend to be comfy though.
I suggest you try driving a Range rover or a big jag through rush hour traffic. There really isn't a better vehicle to be in than something big and soft with an autobox if all you are doing is waiting for the lights to change.
Reply 31
The land drover is a great vehicle, but it's completely unneccessary for an urban enviroment. Say in Aberdeen a lot of people who live in the country and commute in need 4x4's for when the weather gets bad and they have to drive down a track which won't get gritted or maintained, but when you live 5 minutes away from your office on a busy street all it does is get in the way and make it akward for yourself and others on the road, so just tends to be a selfish attempt to boost your ego.
Original post by JC.
It's not rediculous at all. What you want and what you need are very different things.
There is a duck in my fridge and a bottle of wine at the moment. I only *need* bread and water but I'm looking forward to the duck and the plonk.

If you are happy with a bread and water car, fine. Doesn't mean the rest of us have to mope round in dreary horrid little boxes.

As to emmissions? So what! That might be high on your agenda, it certainly isn't very high on everyones. It's actually bottom on mine. The smallest engine I own at the moment is 3.5 litres and even that is a bit on the small side if I'm honest.

However, on a personal level, when the snow was quite bad last year the only folk getting through were those in 4x4's and me in my 40 year old RWD classic with skinny tyres.

*ridiculous
*emissions

Obviously what you want and what you need are different things.

I have a tenderloin steak and a vast collection of expensive cheeses in my fridge, along with a cupboard full of wines. So what?

Just because I have an old car doesn't mean I'm stingy.

I like nice cars.

I just consider having a large car which uses up more fuel that its worth and more space than really necessary, whilst in a city where you're not actually using it to its real purpose, inconsiderate and unnecessary.

Incidentally you don't just need bread and water, as that wouldn't give you sufficient nutrients to live off, however I realize that is pernickity.

I'm sorry if you consider my car to be a dreary horrid little box. Personally I like having a car that isn't like THOUSANDS of others and couldn't easily be picked out in a car park. I like having something that is individual rather than following the trend and the masses.

In regards to emissions, I'm afraid it IS something that should be on peoples lists. Its a fact. If its on the bottom of yours then I'm pretty disgusted to be honest. But it sounds like you might fit into a stenotype of people, in which case I suppose I'd just have to be disgusted at how ignorant some people can be and write you off as not worth it.

I apologise if that sounds harsh, but the sad truth of the matter is that emissions, as with many other things, are something which do have to be taken into account nowadays. People can easily ignore what is going on around them, but they shouldn't.
*ridiculous
*emissions

I have a tenderloin steak and a vast collection of expensive cheeses in my fridge, along with a cupboard full of wines. So what?

I like nice cars.

I just consider having a large car which uses up more fuel that its worth and more space than really necessary, whilst in a city where you're not actually using it to its real purpose, inconsiderate and unnecessary.

Incidentally you don't just need bread and water, as that wouldn't give you sufficient nutrients to live off, however I realize that is pernickity.

I'm sorry if you consider my car to be a dreary horrid little box. Personally I like having a car that isn't like THOUSANDS of others and couldn't easily be picked out in a car park. I like having something that is individual rather than following the trend and the masses.

In regards to emissions, I'm afraid it IS something that should be on peoples lists. Its a fact. If its on the bottom of yours then I'm pretty disgusted to be honest. But it sounds like you might fit into a stenotype of people, in which case I suppose I'd just have to be disgusted at how ignorant some people can be and write you off as not worth it.

I apologise if that sounds harsh, but the sad truth of the matter is that emissions, as with many other things, are something which do have to be taken into account nowadays. People can easily ignore what is going on around them, but they shouldn't.

*stereotype

I think more and more people are beginning to realise that the green trend a few years ago was nothing more than a fad; the Chinese open two new coal-fired power stations a week - the whole of the Western world could switch to Toyota Priuses tomorrow and it would make any different to carbon emissions worth talking about. I think a lot of people have now come to terms with the fact that, if climate change is happening, we need to adapt to it cause we just ain't gonna be able to stop it.

Interestingly, I'd also like to weigh up the total carbon footprint of someone who buys a brand new car every 3 years in order to get the most efficient, and someone who keeps an older but more polluting car going for much, much longer.
Reply 34
I love landies, bits of baler twine and .22 cartridges on the dash complete the look. Wouldn't fancy taking a defender on the motorway though, there bloody freezing at the best of times!
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 35
*ridiculous
*emissions

I like nice cars.

I'm the first person to defend other folks right to a) buy what they want and b) do what they want to do with it.
Personally, I don't think I would buy a 4x4. I can, however apriciate why other people would want to own one. They are comfortable, easy to drive and in a head on collision scenario i'd rather be in a range rover than an aguila!

I certainly wouldn't write you off a "stingy" because you drive an old car. I do to. I have a '73 MGB GT factory V8 as my main car and I regularly swap keys with my other half who has an '83 Porsche 944. There will be another "antisocial" classic turning up on friday too and possibly another one this evening if the price is right.
You couldn't pay me to rock round in a modern euro-box. I'd be bored stiff!

With regard to emmisions, for every scientist saying that global warming is a problem theres another saying it isnt. until there is definitive proof one way or another I'll continue to run around in cars with large uneconomical V8's. Whilst the oil is still here, we might as well burn it, eh?
I'll probably be dead within the next 25 years anyway, so I can't see how a bit of extra petrol and tyre smoke is going to make any difference to me?
Original post by TheFatController
*stereotype

I think more and more people are beginning to realise that the green trend a few years ago was nothing more than a fad; the Chinese open two new coal-fired power stations a week - the whole of the Western world could switch to Toyota Priuses tomorrow and it would make any different to carbon emissions worth talking about. I think a lot of people have now come to terms with the fact that, if climate change is happening, we need to adapt to it cause we just ain't gonna be able to stop it.

Interestingly, I'd also like to weigh up the total carbon footprint of someone who buys a brand new car every 3 years in order to get the most efficient, and someone who keeps an older but more polluting car going for much, much longer.

this has been done. i'll try to find it and post it but essentially the older car was better in the long run but it's a bit irrelevant because more people drive now than before so new cars are still needed it makes no difference who gets the new car somebody will still have the old car
Original post by TheFatController
*stereotype

Hah, oops :tongue:

Whilst its true that we can't stop climate change, there ARE ways of slowing it down. One of those being that you take account of the pollution you yourself cause in your daily lifestyle.

I'm sorry but I don't understand how changing your car every three years would affect your carbon footprint? Surely changing your car changes nothing else than your bank balance?
Hah, oops :tongue:

Whilst its true that we can't stop climate change, there ARE ways of slowing it down. One of those being that you take account of the pollution you yourself cause in your daily lifestyle.

I'm sorry but I don't understand how changing your car every three years would affect your carbon footprint? Surely changing your car changes nothing else than your bank balance?

Think of all the infrastructure and carbon emissions involved in building a new car and shipping it over here simply to replace a perfectly good car.
Reply 39
Original post by Landie_Man
I recently started a thread about my vehicle choice to see how people react to a student driving a Land Rover.

I expected a lot of people to think "spoilt child", "unnecessary luxury" yada yada yada.

This proves that people think of Landies as posh, luxurious 4x4s when of course that certainly is not the case. They may have strayed off their routes in the last 15 years or so, but to set the record straight, Landies are classless, it doesn't matter if your rich or poor, a workman or an estate owner, nobody is going to know or care. A landie says nothing about those who are driving it, it doesn't dress itself up to be something it isn't, its just a simple, basic, no *******s versatile vehicle which will do, almost anything within reason.

It doesn't cool your face with aircon, it doesn't smother you in comfort, in fact it usually forces freezing water in your face, and coat you with the smell of oil, but it ticks over with a basic no frills engine which a monkey could fix!

They may have strayed off their routes recently, but at the end of the day, they are stereotypically a simple, basic 4x4,

A True British icon.

I think they're great.
What series?
How much would they be to insure a 17 year old on?

Quick Reply

Latest