The Student Room Group

Thank you + gift to a lecturer?

Hey all. Not sure this is right forum but I'll post anyway. :smile:

I'm planning on giving a thank you card to my lecturer who has helped me a lot over the last year. I won't be taught by her in any other modules during my degree next year. I also want to give her a small gift, any ideas?

Scroll to see replies

box of choccolate?

I always give a box to my teachers at the end of the year...so see no reason why you shouldn't give one to your lecturer
Wow, I didn't give my lecturers anything.

I'd say chocolates are a safe bet.
Reply 3
Thanks for the replies. :smile:

A box of chocolate it is! She doesn't get as much appreciation as she deserves so I'm sure that a little something will go a long way.
Chocs or a bottle (if you think she drinks) is always a safe one. Otherwise something related to what she taught you or something that would remind her of you?

Presents I gave when I left uni ranged from a cactus (in joke. My tutor, being drunk and in a leg-pulling mood, asked me whether a cactus I was holding was cannabis! :rofl: ) to homemade arts and crafts :smile:

My dissertation was on ABBA, so I bought my supervisor Mamma Mia! and ABBA Gold :biggrin:
Reply 5
If I've known what they're interests are then I've gone down the slightly more personal route. But a box of chocs does go a long way. I usually get a nice card as well or I handmake them.
Original post by LookingGlass
Hey all. Not sure this is right forum but I'll post anyway. :smile:

I'm planning on giving a thank you card to my lecturer who has helped me a lot over the last year. I won't be taught by her in any other modules during my degree next year. I also want to give her a small gift, any ideas?

Box of chocolate, bottle of wine, nice plant?
Reply 7
You know it is their job to help you right?
Reply 8
Original post by Davezk
You know it is their job to help you right?

Why should that make a difference?
Reply 9
Original post by FXX
Why should that make a difference?

I just think its weird to get them a gift. The reality is they don't give a damn about undergraduates really.

Most lecturers spend a lot of their time with research with lecturing and helping only a minor role. The point is the lecturer is just doing their job and they get paid pretty well. They might have been a significant help to the OP but I bet they don't really care or have any sort of interpersonnel relationship with them.

I don't give people gifts for doing their job - they'd deserve it if they really went out their way and I had a rapport with them.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by Davezk
I just think its weird to get them a gift. The reality is they don't give a damn about undergraduates really.

Most lecturers spend a lot of their time with research with lecturing and helping only a minor role. The point is the lecturer is just doing their job and they get paid pretty well. They might have been a significant help to the OP but I bet they don't really care or have any sort of interpersonnel relationship with them.

I don't give people gifts for doing their job - they'd deserve it if they really went out their way and I had a rapport with them.

Depends on the lecturer. Some of mine have genuinly been supportive this year becaise I'm ill and they didn't have to do it.

It's the thought that counts anyway. The fact that it's their job just means that any help they give is mostly taken for granted and goes unnoticed. It's nice to show the opposite through a gift.
Reply 11
Original post by hannah_dru
Depends on the lecturer. Some of mine have genuinly been supportive this year becaise I'm ill and they didn't have to do it.

It's the thought that counts anyway. The fact that it's their job just means that any help they give is mostly taken for granted and goes unnoticed. It's nice to show the opposite through a gift.

Which Birmingham Uni are you at?

I'm doing postgraduate EngD at University of Birmingham and I'm on first name terms with a lot of the lecturers within the chemical engineering department. A few have openly admitted undergraduates are a pain in the ass.

Some are supportive yes but it's nothing personal. It's just them doing a good job. You can get them a gift but again I just think it is a bit weird... maybe that's just how society has shaped us these days unfortunately :\
Original post by Davezk
Which Birmingham Uni are you at?

I'm doing postgraduate EngD at University of Birmingham and I'm on first name terms with a lot of the lecturers within the chemical engineering department. A few have openly admitted undergraduates are a pain in the ass.

Some are supportive yes but it's nothing personal. It's just them doing a good job. You can get them a gift but again I just think it is a bit weird... maybe that's just how society has shaped us these days unfortunately :\

I'm at Aston, I graduate in a few months.

Again, I think it depends on the lecturer. It's quite a close knit department so some of the reasons they've been supportive has been personal.
If that's the way people view giving a lecturer a gift then I have to say I find that quite sad. It's a bit selfish really.
Reply 13
My University is quite small and the department is close knit. Most of the lecturers know who I am.

This lecturer in particular has been very supportive, I've had to deal with a death in the family this year and depression. She could relate to that and offered extra support when she didn't need to at all. We have a good student-lecturer relationship and I wouldn't overstep those bounds.

It's just to say thank you after all :smile:
Chocolates/flowers/bottle of fizzy would probably be okay, if you know that she's not allergic/teetotal, etc. But if you know that she's into a certain interest, then a gift relating to that would be good too. :smile:
Original post by LookingGlass
My University is quite small and the department is close knit. Most of the lecturers know who I am.

This lecturer in particular has been very supportive, I've had to deal with a death in the family this year and depression. She could relate to that and offered extra support when she didn't need to at all. We have a good student-lecturer relationship and I wouldn't overstep those bounds.

It's just to say thank you after all :smile:

I'm sorry to hear about your loss and depression :hugs: In this light, I think your gesture will be unexpected but well received and you shouldn't worry too much about it.

I had two welfare tutors (one male, one female) who very selflessly dragged me kicking and screaming to and through my Finals and when I left, I bought the guy an expensive bottle of whiskey. I was closer to the female one and knew more about her personality, so bought her a mixture of personal (handmade gifts, cuddly toys and drawings) and practical gifts (she does a lot of amateur theatre, so I bought her storage boxes for her many, many costumes and props). Both of them were surprised but touched :smile:
I normally stick to thank you cards or letters, although I did give one a box of chocolates once.
Reply 17
I give a gift voucher to my year manager. is that ok? cause i am going to leave my uni but not sure is that ok or not.:frown:
Original post by Davezk

They're in the teaching field for a reason.
I assume they would get satisfaction from teaching their students.

Sounds like a good idea.
You could always get them a card instead.
Reply 19
Original post by RhaegoTarg
They're in the teaching field for a reason.
I assume they would get satisfaction from teaching their students.

Sounds like a good idea.
You could always get them a card instead.

I gave a gift voucher to my year manager cause i am goignt o leave my uni. is that ok? can you give me some advice pls

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending