The Student Room Group

Your first day as a doctor

Scroll to see replies

Original post by electricjon
It's all a question of accountability and salvageability. We'll have to wait for the post mortem. If the cause of death is clearly exsanguination from pelvis fracture (as opposed to, say, a non-survivable brain injury), then yes, the ortho reg could be held entirely accountable for this man's death.

To be struck off? Well... that depends on the nature of the delay. If he was busy brushing his teeth, then yes, no more fancy sports cars for him I'm afraid. If he lived 2 hours away, why the hell is he working at our hospital? If he got pulled over by the police for speeding, then... I don't know.

Thank you.
You are welcome

I was also thinking of the sensible advice about not rolling the patient.

You haven't mentioned giving the patient oxygen or pain relief.

Considering the possibility of urethral rupture and the potential usefulness of peritoneal lavage are other aspects.

In real life this is a major emergency with all hands on deck- there may have been other internal injuries as well - I would have called the anaesthetists and the surgeons as well as the orthopods.

F1 can help by keeping a record of all drugs/fluids given, taking good notes, talking to anxious relatives, assisting with resuscitation-bleeping senior staff- not necessarily in that order.
Reply 82
I just got home from 5 days in hospital for an appendectomy, I'm really glad I didn't read this thread beforehand. I would've been obsessing over whether or not my doctor was from TSR or had whiskey/ singing treatment plans...
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 83
get him some paracetamol
Yes, rolling the patient in retrospect was a bad idea, but we had to assess him for urethral rupture, otherwise I would have whacked a catheter in him, which could have been catastrophic. Peritoneal lavage is a no no, unless we wanted fountains of blood spraying everywhere. He had oxygen as soon as the ambulance got there (ABC!) as well as pain relief, but he was soon unconscious anyway. And we called everyone (anaesthetists, surgeons, orthopaedics) as soon as he arrived - not that the person that mattered ever got there in time...

And yes, the foundation doctors (only F2's, we don't have F1's in our A&E) were very useful for small tasks (e.g. blood labelling and requesting), bleeping seniors and record keeping. Talking to relatives is best left to consultants, especially with a catastrophe like this.

In the end, this gentleman's injuries gave him a calculated mortality of 100%, so one could argue we should have abandoned any attempts to save him as soon as he arrived. Try telling that to a hospital full of doctors, nurses, paramedics and relatives. Would have saved a lot of time, effort and money though. C'est la vie.

Legally though - wouldn't he only be in trouble if damage was caused by his breach of duty of care... (e.g. night watchmen case with the cyanide - hospital didn't have enough staff but as they would probably never have spotted cyanide poisoning it doesn't count)
I know that's for a hospital not the person but I assume it's the same.

Obviously - GMC is another kettle of fish, they can apply stricter standards.
Reply 85
I will keep you posted!
:fluffy:
Original post by mummyperson
This link has a good classification of pelvic fractures and their suggested management

http://www.patient.co.uk/doctor/Pelvic-Fractures.htm

Thank you
Back to the case - a couple of the correct answers have filtered through now, so I shall tell you what happened..

Wtf? Why have so many people negged you for this?
Original post by Philosoraptor
Legally though - wouldn't he only be in trouble if damage was caused by his breach of duty of care... (e.g. night watchmen case with the cyanide - hospital didn't have enough staff but as they would probably never have spotted cyanide poisoning it doesn't count)
I know that's for a hospital not the person but I assume it's the same.

Obviously - GMC is another kettle of fish, they can apply stricter standards.

What case is that?
Reply 90
Its like watching scrubs without the hot women and jokey atmosphere.
Reply 91
Original post by adam_zed
Its like watching scrubs without the hot women and jokey atmosphere.

Hey that's not fair. My job is totally like Scrubs! It's not all doom and gloom!
Reply 92
Original post by No Future
Wtf? Why have so many people negged you for this?

Because I was a bit mean in my summary.
Reply 93
Original post by SkinFadeHaircut
Ibuprofen

20ml of a drug that I don't know

the air mask

And shock him

Gimme 10 cc's of paaaaaaaaaaain
Because I was a bit mean in my summary.

Could you do clinical cases on a regular basis and guide us/give us feedback?
Give him a few Panadol and discharge him.
Reply 96
Original post by No Future
Could you do clinical cases on a regular basis and guide us/give us feedback?

Well I will for the next couple of weeks as I'm at home recovering from a tonsillectomy, but after that I'm back in A&E full time. I'll post another case again in a bit. Something less technical this time.
Well I will for the next couple of weeks as I'm at home recovering from a tonsillectomy, but after that I'm back in A&E full time. I'll post another case again in a bit. Something less technical this time.

Ah, enjoy you time off.

That would be awesome, thanks.
A 46 year old man is brought by ambulance to A&E following a suicide attempt, involving an overdose of an undisclosed amount of paracetamol and amitriptyline, plus two litres of cider. He has no previous psychiatric history.

Registered blind (secondary to diabetes), single and living alone, and having recently been fired from his job, he decided to take his own life, but immediately after ingesting the tablets, called an ambulance to seek help with the voices in his head telling him to kill himself.

At 4 hours post ingestion, and after absconding several times, the patient refuses to give blood due to a phobia of needles. The psychiatric team refuse to take over care of the patient until deemed medically fit, but no-one in the department is able to persuade him to allow blood to be taken.

What would you do next?

Can the psych team assess his fitness for an emergency section under the MHA? If they did I guess you could sedate him, check his liver function and possibly provide a stomach pump/activated charcoal?
Original post by u4m1r
I would just sing this,

This.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending