The Student Room Group

Nee-Naw-Nee-Naw! Food Crimes we Cannot Abide!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 320
Original post by Potiron
I went out and bought chicken dippers and curly fries specially for my 20th birthday meal, and cooked them all by myself :proud:

See that is how it's done! :biggrin:
Chicken dippers make up a large proportion of my freezer at uni...
Reply 322
One food crime I cannot abide is when you're walking down the high street and some ned/chav has given their tiny (and I mean, 1-3 years old) tot a huge greggs pasty and a cake to scoff on. It just irks me.
Original post by TotoMimo
One food crime I cannot abide is when you're walking down the high street and some ned/chav has given their tiny (and I mean, 1-3 years old) tot a huge greggs pasty and a cake to scoff on. It just irks me.

I used to work in Greggs, and it was so sad to see the same mothers come in most days with their toddler and buy them a sausage roll, crisps and so on every time :frown:
Reply 324
Original post by FormerlyFrisbeeFan
I used to work in Greggs, and it was so sad to see the same mothers come in most days with their toddler and buy them a sausage roll, crisps and so on every time :frown:

Ugh, man, it totally gets my goat. At a point in a kid's life when they genuinely don't know any better and their tastebuds are most impressionable (ie, most easily persuaded to try nice foods and adapt to interesting flavours), to see a kid with a steak bake in one hand and a jumbo iced doughnut in the other just makes me furious.

And you can bet that in a year or two's time the mum will be moaning "he never eats any vegetables, he's so fussy with food, he only wants chips!"
Reply 325
I went to one of the Six Flags theme parks and saw a ridiculously fat woman, like, if she was any fatter she'd have to wear a king size duvet cover as a dress, feeding her baby one of those big choco taco things :frown: I was thinking poor kid, she's got no chance.
I think it should be a real crime to overfeed your kids, let alone a food crime. Letting your kids get obese is just as neglectful as letting them starve in my opinion...
it's a sign that they probably lack control over their kids, so instead of being a responsible parent, they just give them a bag of sweets to shut them up. Shame the sugar gives opposite effect!
Original post by totomimo
ugh, man, it totally gets my goat. At a point in a kid's life when they genuinely don't know any better and their tastebuds are most impressionable (ie, most easily persuaded to try nice foods and adapt to interesting flavours), to see a kid with a steak bake in one hand and a jumbo iced doughnut in the other just makes me furious.

And you can bet that in a year or two's time the mum will be moaning "he never eats any vegetables, he's so fussy with food, he only wants chips!"

its so true and so annoying!!!
Reply 328
Ugh, man, it totally gets my goat. At a point in a kid's life when they genuinely don't know any better and their tastebuds are most impressionable (ie, most easily persuaded to try nice foods and adapt to interesting flavours), to see a kid with a steak bake in one hand and a jumbo iced doughnut in the other just makes me furious.

And you can bet that in a year or two's time the mum will be moaning "he never eats any vegetables, he's so fussy with food, he only wants chips!
"

This infuriates me :angry: It's really not difficult to make kids eat veg as long as they are brought up with it! When I was a kid I wasn't allowed to leave the table until I'd eaten a decent amount of veg, and you know what, now I LOVE veg of every kind! (Except baked beans and sweet corn. There's nothing anyone can do to make me like those, lol). The same went for my brother and sister, and although they don't love veg as much as me they still eat it.

My boyfriend on the other hand was allowed to eat what he wanted, and as a consequence I'm having to wean him back onto veg at the age of 21....
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 329
Original post by nadiah
This infuriates me :angry: It's really not difficult to make kids eat veg as long as they are brought up with it! When I was a kid I wasn't allowed to leave the table until I'd eaten a decent amount of veg, and you know what, now I LOVE veg of every kind! (Except baked beans and sweet corn. There's nothing anyone can do to make me like those, lol). The same went for my brother and sister, and although they don't love veg as much as me they still eat it.

My boyfriend on the other hand was allowed to eat what he wanted, and as a consequence I'm having to wean him back onto veg at the age of 21....

I know, my scaffy Aunt fed her kids so much crap - when I was younger a McDonalds Happy Meal was a REAL TREAT. Like, "we're having a Happy Meal?! OMGZ *excitement*!" because I was fed proper food, and told to eat all the food on my plate, veggies and all. Just like you, Nadiah, it has now made me appreciate and enjoy vegetables to a crazy degree. But her kids just got a McDonalds every time they were in town. Every time. And now, my younger cousins are overweight, fussy, and one of them literally eats chips with every meal.

Oh, and STILL gets a McDonalds every time he goes into town, by the way.

Sad times.
Original post by floskii
perhaps they don't like to see blood (though it's not actually blood)

What is it?
Reply 331
I'm not sure exactly, I think it's just the juices from the meat.
Reply 332
Today I witnessed one of the single most infuriating food crimes I think I've experienced in recent times. A female colleague from work was on about how she'd recently had her first experience with sushi and loved it. This was odd to me considering I knew she was a vegetarian, but I figured, there are plenty of veggie sushi options, so fair play.

So at lunch time today she brought in a Tesco pre-made veggie sushi tray, which isn't the *worst* possible sushi choice, but hardly gourmet. She then proceeded to peel off all of the nori!

"I hate the black stuff. And that green stuff too"(avocado, I assumed, stuffed maki roll).
Today I witnessed one of the single most infuriating food crimes I think I've experienced in recent times. A female colleague from work was on about how she'd recently had her first experience with sushi and loved it. This was odd to me considering I knew she was a vegetarian, but I figured, there are plenty of veggie sushi options, so fair play.

So at lunch time today she brought in a Tesco pre-made veggie sushi tray, which isn't the *worst* possible sushi choice, but hardly gourmet. She then proceeded to peel off all of the nori!

"I hate the black stuff. And that green stuff too"(avocado, I assumed, stuffed maki roll).

That right there, is a first degree offense! Peeling nori off Sushi is like peeling clothes off a child. Wrong on every level.
Reply 334
We had pasta for dinner earlier, and my mum bought 'parmigiano reggiano'... this made me happy! :love: ...Only it was sawdust. I think it should be illegal to use the real Italian name on that pre-grated stuff. :frown:
Original post by MelissaJayne
That right there, is a first degree offense! Peeling nori off Sushi is like peeling clothes off a child. Wrong on every level.

:|

I don't think it's QUITE that bad!
Original post by SoapyDish
:|

I don't think it's QUITE that bad!

Yeh, maybe that was a little hyperbolic of me. But man I just love the Nori!
Reply 337
If anyone reading this thread is ever in Brighton, go to Moshi Moshi.

Original post by MelissaJayne
Yeh, maybe that was a little hyperbolic of me. But man I just love the Nori!

I'm looking at you. Go to Brighton.
I was watching come dine with me on Sunday where the host had made a Greek style lamb casserole and the old guy there asked for mint sauce. Then complained because theres nopthing Greek about lamb with mint sauce. The telly nearly went through my living room window.
Sushi? I don't think I'll ever be able to understand such small portion sizes :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest