The Student Room Group

Just had quite a tiff with a close cousin..who is right?

Just had quite an unnecessary 'fight' with a close cousin of mine but it's left a really bad taste in the mouth and I don't know how to put it right now.
I'm Indian. A couple of days ago, during the Cricket World Cup final, I thought India were going to lose and texted her that we were going to lose. I was also really disappointed and let my disappointment get the better of me by saying that we only play one sport and we can't even be the best at that. Later when we won, I was over the moon, naturally as I was supporting India.
So today, we were chatting on Facebook and she tells me that she was pissed off with me the other day when I said we were going to lose and was even more pissed off that I 'happily changed sides' later on. I explained that I didn't 'happily change sides', I was always supporting India but thought they were going to lose the match at one point. I tried to change the subject then by giving her the link to a funny youtube video. She however persisted. She said 'So what, there were so many people who thought we were going to lose, they still supported the team. You're like the media, you support the team only when we're winning'. I have exams going on at the moment which I'm extremely tense about and this just set me off. I had a real go at her, told her how I support the team and follow cricket ardently for the past fifteen years almost and am not a fake fan like the huge number of fake fans who crop up during a World Cup. I told her that atleast I express my true feelings and don't put up statuses on Facebook to seek attention(which she does).
Now she got really pissed off as well. She sent me a message on Facebook saying ' Attention-seeking? this is coming from a guy who puts up his sob stories on a student forum(TSR). also, its better to seek attention by putting up facebook statuses rather than pretending to be a cool british teen when you're actually a indian native.' She also went on to call me immature.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Don't follow a **** sport then.
1. Man up
2. Tell her to **** off
Reply 3
:facepalm2:
Ah, awesome, I haven't seen or heard the word 'tiff' in ageeees. We should bring it back.

As for your cousin, she's being a dick, although you made it more personal than it needed to be, and annoyed her enough that you probably won't be able to make her see sense. She'll probably want an apology.
Reply 5
Original post by Fumblenuts91
Ah, awesome, I haven't seen or heard the word 'tiff' in ageeees. We should bring it back.

As for your cousin, she's being a dick, although you made it more personal than it needed to be, and annoyed her enough that you probably won't be able to make her see sense. She'll probably want an apology.

I did apologize. I don't know why I did though. And she still seems to be annoyed even after I apologized.
Reply 6
Any genuine advice?
Reply 7
Original post by Marshyy
Don't follow a **** sport then.

Any other advice regarding the situation?
Reply 8
Original post by kalaghoda

Now she got really pissed off as well. She sent me a message on Facebook saying ' Attention-seeking? this is coming from a guy who puts up his sob stories on a student forum(TSR).

She's got a point yano.
I did apologize. I don't know why I did though. And she still seems to be annoyed even after I apologized.

Yeah, I wouldn't have apologised. But I'm incredibly stubborn. Maybe she's annoyed at you for some totally unrelated reason, and she's taking it out on you through this.
dunno what u can do tbh, just distance urself from her :smile:
Reply 11
Yeah, I wouldn't have apologised. But I'm incredibly stubborn. Maybe she's annoyed at you for some totally unrelated reason, and she's taking it out on you through this.

Will it ever get right?
Reply 12
There is no meat what so ever in this argument and you both still are fighting over this, you really must have an utterly soul destroying life...
You're both as bad as each other. It's just not cricket, old bean.
Will it ever get right?

From what you've given us, I can't see her staying angry for long.
Reply 15
Well, thats the marriage off
Reply 16
Original post by Manc990
Well, thats the marriage off

Throws up at the thought of marrying his cousin. Racist ****.
Reply 17
From what you've given us, I can't see her staying angry for long.

Okay, also, do you think I went over-the-top and was too rude in my reply to her?
Okay, also, do you think I went over-the-top and was too rude in my reply to her?

I don't think you should've spoken about the facebook status thing. That was bound to piss her off, but defending yourself against the bull**** assertion that you're a fake fan was fine.
sounds like both over-reacted a bit. you've said sorry - give her time, and she'll come around. It's not really a question of who's 'right' - you were both a bit daft. If you've apologised properly (not trying to blame her too), then I would leave her to cool off, and she'll feel bad about what she said also.

Quick Reply