The Student Room Group

Can I get a NHS bursary??

Hiya, i'm doing a Bsc in Human Nutrition and dietetics, but doing an extended foundation course in chemistry before.

My Bsc is eligible for a NHS means tested bursary...so basically it depends on my household income on how much i recieve.

so if my household income is £56,000 do i still get a bursary? or do my parents earn too much? because if uni fees are going upt £9,000, surely they should have a higher band for who requires financial help with paying for fees.
Original post by MandyLicious
Hiya, i'm doing a Bsc in Human Nutrition and dietetics, but doing an extended foundation course in chemistry before.

My Bsc is eligible for a NHS means tested bursary...so basically it depends on my household income on how much i recieve.

so if my household income is £56,000 do i still get a bursary? or do my parents earn too much? because if uni fees are going upt £9,000, surely they should have a higher band for who requires financial help with paying for fees.

I'd try out this calculator:

http://www.ppa.org.uk/StudentBursariesCalculator/reset.do;jsessionid=FBDEE00BDC64BA336D0EE53BD1AC4ABF

It depends on a few things but you might still get a small amount. I don't think the fees increasing will make a difference to the bursary? The NHS will pay your fees if this is a course eligible for the bursary, this extra amount is for your living costs instead of the normal Students loans/grants, so it's doubtfull that it will increase the threshold.
(edited 13 years ago)
You can also have a reduced rate student loan - so that might help if your parents earn too much for you to get any/enough bursary. the reduced rate loan isnt means tested.

Your fees will be paid by the nhs.
Reply 3
Original post by girlwithsharpteeth

It depends on a few things but you might still get a small amount. I don't think the fees increasing will make a difference to the bursary? The NHS will pay your fees if this is a course eligible for the bursary, this extra amount is for your living costs instead of the normal Students loans/grants, so it's doubtfull that it will increase the threshold.

Original post by ssvlcond

Your fees will be paid by the nhs.

I've just read this on the website. Really? :eek:

Well that would help me alot, it just seems to good to be true. I would be going straight onto a NHS career, so I guess thats why they pay the Uni fees in full without it being means-tested.

Thanks NHS
Reply 4
if uni fees are going upt £9,000, surely they should have a higher band for who requires financial help with paying for fees.

while I agree with you in principle, and think the new legislation is made of arse, this doesn't quite make sense - no family needs help paying for fees, as the student receives the full loan for it?
Reply 5
Original post by chai wallah
no family needs help paying for fees, as the student receives the full loan for it?

I've read that it helps pay for Accomedation, books, travel etc. But yes I agree :smile:
Reply 6
I've read that it helps pay for Accomedation, books, travel etc. But yes I agree :smile:

Nope that's the Maintenance Loan - different to the Tuition Fee Loan! Usually you do get both. It's interesting though, it's (as in these few posts) made me think slightly differently about the fees increase - it's not really a burden on poor families but on students themselves.
With regards to courses funded by the NHS - the NHS pays the fees so you don't need a tuition fee loan and you get a bursary for living costs (accommodation, travel, food, books, etc) neither of which have to be paid back so you can be debt free. However, the means test for the NHS bursary tends to be stricter than the "normal" student finance, so you can end up with a lot less (though some courses seem to get quite generous amounts!). If you wanted to know more about it, I'd recommend you have a look here:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=899434

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending