The Student Room Group

Are there any drugs that make you smart?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Tigerblood
Reply 21
Adderall.
yh, new drug in town called G.R.U.L.B....i believe it stands for GET REVISING U LAZY BIATCH!!!
Reply 23
Original post by NO ONE
Like in the movie Limitless.

Serious question guys, I'm not a troll lol. Can anyone suggest me any drugs which make you smart?

I'm just having troubling revising for my final exams thats all and procrastinating isn't helping. I think my case is irreversible :/
i feel like a complete pleb.

Google 'Study Drugs'
Reply 24
Original post by ChazSingh
Adderall.

its banned in europe apparently :s-smilie:
Modafinil.
If you take Ritalin (ADHD drugs) they massively increase your concentration for non ADHD people, you can take way more in, in a way i suppose that makes you smarter?
Choline- Improves memory. Need to take them for a couple of weeks before they start working though. You can find the supplements in most heallth stores
http://www.vitabiotics.com/neurozan/

Keep hearing about it inbetween parts of Countdown..
My cum,considerably cheaper(production wise) than what pharmaceutical companies offer yet effective.
Original post by iainthegreat
'A herd of buffalo can only move as fast as the slowest buffalo. And when the herd is hunted, it is the slowest and weakest ones at the back that are killed first.
This natural selection is good for the herd as a whole, because the general speed and health of the whole group keeps improving by the regular killing of the weakest members.
In much the same way, the human brain can only operate as fast as the slowest brain cells. Excessive intake of alcohol, as we know, kills brain cells. But naturally, it attacks the slowest and weakest brain cells first. In this way, regular consumption of alcohol eliminates the weaker brain cells, making the brain a faster and more efficient machine. That's why you always feel smarter after a few drinks!'

Can't remember who originally said that, but it's such a great quote! :biggrin:

Lol at your sig btw, brilliant stuff
Original post by NO ONE
Like in the movie Limitless.

Serious question guys, I'm not a troll lol. Can anyone suggest me any drugs which make you smart?

I'm just having troubling revising for my final exams thats all and procrastinating isn't helping. I think my case is irreversible :/
i feel like a complete pleb.

WOA WOA WOA!! It's overwhelming the amount of people giving you inaccurate information on this topic.

First off, who ever said Propranolol (Beta-Blocker) is a nootropic, couldn't be further from the truth! I myself am prescribed Propanolol, eventually I had to put it on hold though due to my A-Level's. It makes you really calm, relaxed, not a worry in the world... Which, personally I found was contridicting my work ethic. I just wanted to sit back and chill, however this eventually led to me being behind on coursework and also revision! So, I'd advise you - DO NOT TAKE IT IF YOU WANT TO BE PRODUCTIVE.

Rant over. Okay, now the proper term for "Smart Pills" is "Nootropics". Generally, this is used to describe a drug which contains cognitive enhancing properties. In other words, it makes you either perform to the best of your ability (which might not be considered smart), have faster reaction times, be more focused etc etc. They by no means will dramatically flip your life around and create this almighty god within you to emerge. That is simply an exaggeration seen in this new movie "Limitless".

However, as the strengths and affects of nootropics vary by a considerable amount, there are nootropics which will have a definite impact on your ability. This applies to drugs such as Adderall, Ritalin, Concerta, Modafinil (I'm aware there are more, but these are the most popular).

Modafinil, in my experience is just coffee X10. It keeps you awake, alert and concentrated for longer. This is all that it does as it was specifically designed to help combat Narcolepsy (Excessive Sleep Disorder).

Ritalin and Adderall are prescribed to those with ADHD and ADD. Ritalin is highly affective and would fit more into your ideal image of popping a pill and getting to work, it significantly increases concentration, so much so that a common side affect for those who take it is that they find it difficult to escape from a specific trail of thought. Imagine going into an exam with Ritalin; doing the first question, not being able to move onto the next question because your so deeply involved in it. Not a good situation when you'll only be awarded 7 marks. Adderall is produced and only available in North America. It's very similar to Cocaine in it's properties, it's extremely addictive and can lead to unintentional experimentation with other drugs such as Cocaine. It makes you really speedy, full of energy and will make you feel like a new person, which isn't always a good thing. It's been reported that people have experienced a "zombie-like" feeling, zero personality, cut off from their social life and so on. Oh and by the way it's a scheduled 2 controlled substance, therefore it's ILLEGAL to have it without prescription.

They can all have a detrimental affect on an individual's health; seizures, heart attacks, the list goes on. Trust me, just stick with Coffee, ProPlus and RedBull.

Sorry I know I've rambled on too much, but I've research this ALOT! I know alot more about it than the majority.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 32
Original post by wavey93
Tigerblood

Makes you bi-winning! :awesome:
Crap loads of caffeine... Rit isn't legal without a prescription, so use caffeine. And I don't just mean coffee - I mean red bull and those caffeine pills (pro plus?).

Just don't take them too late at night unless you want to be up till 12pm the next day - trust me, I've made that mistake, just makes you worse after the come down...

(Also, as has been mentioned, ritalin can be really really bad for your health - it gives me panic attacks which obviously don't help with your work! And because you'd probably have to buy it illegally you have no idea whats in it. Its also additive and can result in paranoia and psychosis if you don't actually have an attention problem)...
(edited 13 years ago)
This is why film-makers put disclaimers at the end of their film as with most popular ones, there's always an idiot somewhere out there willing to test what they've seen on the big screens.

Regardless:

Physics professor James Kakalios said it was plausible that medical science could improve intelligence, but that neurochemistry was not advanced enough for it to be possible currently. Kakalios also said the notion used in the film that human beings can only access 20% of their brains is a myth; 100% of it is used at different times. Kakalios said if such a pill existed, a person running out of the supply could actually experience a rebound effect, and "might become really stupid".
There's a drug called modafinil that some of my uni friends use during revision and exam periods. It basically makes you really alert and able to concentrate really hard. You can either buy it off the internet or blag some from your GP by claiming you have daytime sleepiness.
Stay away from drugs if you do not need them for your health. It can cause really odd side effects. There are drugs that can increase your concentration, but so can eating bananas. Eat a banana and drink lots of water?
Reply 37
It's pretty easy to name them i.e nootropics, ritalin etc. But WHERE do you get them? That is the question.
Reply 38
Drugs like this are currently being developed for the U.S military.

A U.S army general said recently (can't remember who) "In the future, it won't be "what guns have they got?" it'll be "what drugs are they on"?"

A drug such as the one in limitless IS possible, and things like it are being developed right now. That is one of the reasons they made the movie, and if you watch interviews with Bradley Cooper (the main actor) he talks about this a little.

So unless you're in some elite special forces team, you probably won't find this readily available. However one day we probably will see details being leaked leading to people making it in back-street labs.
2 hours of revision, twice daily.

Follow the course for 10 weeks prior to your exam.

Quick Reply

Latest