The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Durham Business School top ?

Hi ! I'm from Bulgaria and I got offers from Durham, Bath, Manchester, Aston and King's (though, they seem to be tricky, as their offer is absurd). After visiting all of them I actually narrowed them down to Durham and Bath. What I want is a very good business school, where I can learn. In Bath I've choosen International Management with german, as it is important for me to study a language. Durham's course sounds just like the one for me, though, without a language.

My only concern about Durham is it's Business School reputation. Does it mean that the teaching quality is not as good as in Bath for instance? (or other top business schools). I really need an opinion from the inside. Thank you in advance.
Reply 1
Original post by hris
Hi ! I'm from Bulgaria and I got offers from Durham, Bath, Manchester, Aston and King's (though, they seem to be tricky, as their offer is absurd). After visiting all of them I actually narrowed them down to Durham and Bath. What I want is a very good business school, where I can learn. In Bath I've choosen International Management with german, as it is important for me to study a language. Durham's course sounds just like the one for me, though, without a language.

My only concern about Durham is it's Business School reputation. Does it mean that the teaching quality is not as good as in Bath for instance? (or other top business schools). I really need an opinion from the inside. Thank you in advance.

DBS has a really good reputation for postgraduate courses - are you doing a postgrad course? If you're doing an undergraduate course then they're not really in the 'business school' brand as much, just degrees at Durham really so the general Durham reputation applies to them more. Obviously the Business Management/acc&finance degrees have lower entry requirements than the average Durham undergraduate course so I guess that could effect their prestige but I really don't think there's any difference between Bath and Durham. (However studying a language is always a really great idea so that could really advantage you, especially if you get to do a year abroad.)
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by angelmxxx
DBS has a really good reputation for postgraduate courses - are you doing a postgrad course? If you're doing an undergraduate course then they're not really in the 'business school' brand as much, just degrees at Durham really so the general Durham reputation applies to them more. Obviously the Business Management/acc&finance degrees have lower entry requirements than the average Durham undergraduate course so I guess that could effect their prestige but I really don't think there's any difference between Bath and Durham. (However studying a language is always a really great idea so that could really advantage you, especially if you get to do a year abroad.)

I'm doing an undergrad. As far as I know I can choose whether to go on an exchange or do an internship in my third year. I am already quite good at German- Advanced level ( C1) and I can always do a language extra-course at Stockton/Durham. The language itself is not much of a problem. I just want to know DBS is regarded in the UK. The FT rank its MBA quite good, however, reading here in the TSR and looking at domestic rankings, I get the impression that DBS undergrad is not that "hype"/good/top at all. More of good, ( I even sometimes think slighly mediocre) business school. I want to know how is the teaching and after all, after 3/4 years of studying would I be as good as someone form Warwick/LSE
Reply 3
Original post by hris
I'm doing an undergrad. As far as I know I can choose whether to go on an exchange or do an internship in my third year. I am already quite good at German- Advanced level ( C1) and I can always do a language extra-course at Stockton/Durham. The language itself is not much of a problem. I just want to know DBS is regarded in the UK. The FT rank its MBA quite good, however, reading here in the TSR and looking at domestic rankings, I get the impression that DBS undergrad is not that "hype"/good/top at all. More of good, ( I even sometimes think slighly mediocre) business school. I want to know how is the teaching and after all, after 3/4 years of studying would I be as good as someone form Warwick/LSE

If you're going for an undergrad degree then the DBS brand definitely won't affect your degree much at all - as far as prestige goes, it'll be just 'oh, you went to Durham Uni.' Admittedly the Stockton business degrees are quite new and as I said before, don't have the same entrance requirements as, say, the Durham economics degrees, but unless you want to go into investment banking that shouldn't be an issue at all (and even then the potential issue would be more subject rather than university).

Teaching quality depends on your individual lecturers and is obviously pretty hard to compare across unis as nobody will have been to both unis! If you mean in terms of how good you'll be academically I don't think anyone can say, it depends how well you engage with the reading as most of the degree is independent study rather than continuous contact hours, the same as at any uni.

Durham are doing a new 4 year undergrad masters (all 4 years charged at the undergrad £3300ish fee) degree, the MBus which you might be interested in? These are the modules for the 3 and 4 year degrees - you can't do any electives so couldn't do a German module but there are evening language classes (different classes for different standards) in Durham if you wanted to go to them, but the bus does take 40 mins each way. http://www.dur.ac.uk/dbs/degrees/undergrad/business/programmes/bus-marketing/ You could do a language module in your 2nd year though - http://www.dur.ac.uk/resources/dbs/degrees/BusinessManagement2011-12.pdf
Reply 4
Thank you for the information. Yes I have checked the option with the Mbus. Even if I choose the Mbus degree, I still have the option to extend my course by doing a placement or exchange, right? I am aware with the opportunities to study language, it pretty much depends on the timetable I guess. And yes I know that my knowledge depends on me, I just want to be with the right people, at the right place.Anyway, I am happy to read that Durham indeed is a good place to study business, world leading I would say, looking at some FT rankings.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

No trending threads to show

Trending

No trending threads to show