The Student Room Group

NHS Clinical Scientist Recruitment

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1740
To everyone who's applied for the physiological sciences [i.e audiology, cardiac etc etc] the MSC office informed me we will hear by mid next week at the latest. So no panicing for now. :smile: x
Reply 1741
Original post by km100
To everyone who's applied for the physiological sciences [i.e audiology, cardiac etc etc] the MSC office informed me we will hear by mid next week at the latest. So no panicing for now. :smile: x

Phew, thank you so much! I really wish they let unsuccessful candidates know too so that we can know definitively one way or another.. it's the not knowing I hate!
Reply 1742
Original post by km100

Thank you! A little bit of hope! :smile:
Original post by Svenjamin
I work in H&I. I only got to the interview stage of one lab the first time I applied, but went away and studied a MSc, came back and got the job second time round. The jobs are so competitive you really can't afford to take knockbacks personally, just a matter of seeing it as a long-term goal rather than expecting to get the job first time. I know that's not what some people want to hear, but it's best to keep trying if you're not successful the first time.

I got contacted by HR and was told that I have been short-listed but they didn't say which lab. I only applied to three and one outright told me that I had not made their shortlist, so I'm presuming I got shortlisted for the other two labs. Though, I'm not quite sure how!

I guess I will have to try my best in the interview now...
Reply 1744
Has anyone heard anything today?
Reply 1745
Original post by ywish7
Letters were sent to people that were successfully shortlisted for Genetics at Birmingham.

So i've heard.. :frown:

Ahhh, really? :ashamed:
That'll be me all out then. Not that I was expecting anything else, after hearing the qualifications and experience of those who were successful. Still, thanks for the info, it's always better to know!

Hmm ... a bit off topic perhaps, but has anyone who's applied for Genetics previously applied for / held other positions in a Genetics lab (Medical Lab Assistant, Genetic Technologist etc)? I'm struggling to even get interviews for those atm ... don't know what I'm doing wrong.

Anyway, congratulations to those who've managed to get shortlisted, and good luck in the interviews!! Even if things don't work out as I'd hoped, this thread has still been a big help, so thanks :h:
Reply 1746
Original post by (~Rach~)
Ahhh, really? :ashamed:
That'll be me all out then. Not that I was expecting anything else, after hearing the qualifications and experience of those who were successful. Still, thanks for the info, it's always better to know!

Hmm ... a bit off topic perhaps, but has anyone who's applied for Genetics previously applied for / held other positions in a Genetics lab (Medical Lab Assistant, Genetic Technologist etc)? I'm struggling to even get interviews for those atm ... don't know what I'm doing wrong.

Anyway, congratulations to those who've managed to get shortlisted, and good luck in the interviews!! Even if things don't work out as I'd hoped, this thread has still been a big help, so thanks :h:

If it helps due to the lack of posts for genetics you have to assume that there were loads of people with adequate skills and knowledge what it probably came down to unfortunately was how they put this across. And obviously all the committed people who didn't get shortlisted are gonna want experience and so the job market is just crazy at the moment and it is hard so don't take it too personally just keep trying...there are some labs that would let you do work experience so try that avenue to help you gain other related jobs :smile:
Reply 1747
Original post by km100

Thank you for letting us know! I'm not sure whether I feel more or less hopeful now, but it's good to know the status quo :smile:
Reply 1748
Just got a phone call, been shortlisted for Biochemistry :smile:
I've been invited by letter (via e-mail) to St Andrews Stadium on the 12th for interviews. God knows how I pulled that out out the bag was seriously not expecting it! I have a question though because, admittedly, I haven't extensively researched into this simply because I thought I had no chance: I applied for 2 Clin. Biochem posts and 2 H&I posts, and my letter says Blood Sciences. Is this just the Biochem ones?

H&I must be cellular right?
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by George Agdgdgwngo
I've been invited by letter (via e-mail) to St Andrews Stadium on the 12th for interviews. God knows how I pulled that out out the bag was seriously not expecting it! I have a question though because, admittedly, I haven't extensively researched into this simply because I thought I had no chance: I applied for 2 Clin. Biochem posts and 2 H&I posts, and my letter says Blood Sciences. Is this just the Biochem ones?

H&I must be cellular right?

Does it say Blood Sciences Clinical Biochemistry on the letter? It does on mine..
H&I is blood sciences too is it not? it's under the same heading as immunology.
Original post by GraduateSK
Does it say Blood Sciences Clinical Biochemistry on the letter? It does on mine..
Nope just Blood Sciences.

kathlovestea: I was under the impression that Histopathology and Immunogenetics would fall under Cellular Sciences, not Blood Sciences.

EDIT: I think I know why it only says Blood Sciences GraduateSK. One of the applications concerns 2 posts, one clinical biochemistry and the other clinical immunology.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 1753
Still no word on any Micro places yet, from anyone??
Reply 1754

kathlovestea: I was under the impression that Histopathology and Immunogenetics would fall under Cellular Sciences, not Blood Sciences.

isn't H & I histocompatibility and immunogenetics which means it falls under haematology and transfusions sciences which is blood sciences along with Clinical Biochemistry?
(edited 13 years ago)

EDIT: I think I know why it only says Blood Sciences GraduateSK. One of the applications concerns 2 posts, one clinical biochemistry and the other clinical immunology.

It's Blood Sciences - Clinical Immunology (with H & I) on the rotation plans and the curricula.

EDIT: Also to second what ywish7 said, I didn't realise you'd written "histopathology"
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by kathlovestea
It's Blood Sciences - Clinical Immunology (with H & I) on the rotation plans and the curricula.

EDIT: Also to second what ywish7 said, I didn't realise you'd written "histopathology"
My bad, I was confusing my 4 applications, 3 are infact for blood sciences, one is for Histopathology.

Sorry for the confusion people, and thanks for the help. This is how much I didn't think I was going to get an interview!

EDIT: I have repped you all for the inconvenience!
(edited 13 years ago)
So how are people preparing for life sciences interviews? And did anyone get a email back when you sent off your 3 choices? What is everyones first choice for biochem?
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 1758
Original post by kathlovestea
Rats! where did you hear this?

Ummmmmm, on here. People have been posting about it.
I'm fairly certain no-one has heard from micro yet. Which is unsurprising as the assessment centre is a week tomorrow so I'd expect to hear tomorrow. Unless I've missed some posts?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending