The Student Room Group

Do you think the new fee system in 2012 will force some universities to close?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by pinkpont
It won't change a thing. If someone is too stupid to realise that in real terms, repaying student loans where the tuition fees are £3000 or £9000 a year are essentially the same, then they probably shouldn't be going to University. Universities are being incredibly hypocritical - foreign students, for example, pay even more than the £9000 a year that we'll have to pay, and they don't get the benefit of a very favourable loan. Yet, why do I not see mass protests on their behalf?

you're right.

most UK unis are nothing but 2nd bully boys, they'll what's coming sooner or later.
Reply 41
Original post by viksta1000
in terms of rep...they're great universities don't get me wrong

Yes, I know they are bound to charge the maximum fee, my point is that *majority* of people who go to universities such as Sheffield, Manchester, Leeds, Leicester etc are not the 'my mummy and daddy pay for my life' type of people, just normal, blue-collar folks hoping to gain a further education, and I personally don't think its fair to charge them 9k and perhaps deter them from higher education

last week it was released that Essex and Leeds Met were hoping to charge 9k fees, a practical example of a university 'for the masses' choosing to charge max fees and perhaps deter 'average' students in their market

No no no.

You're trying to be devious but you are now being caught out.

Either they are great Unis and justify charging 9k per year or they are not good enough to charge that amount don't give me this blue collar BS.

Whatever collar people will judge themselves.

I certainly would not pay 9k pa for the 3 you mentioned, in fact very few would justify that amount in my view.
Original post by Txi
No no no.

You're trying to be devious but you are now being caught out.

Either they are great Unis and justify charging 9k per year or they are not good enough to charge that amount don't give me this blue collar BS.

Whatever collar people will judge themselves.

I certainly would not pay 9k pa for the 3 you mentioned, in fact very few would justify that amount in my view.

well I agree with you, but some courses at said universities are justifiable to the new fees, e.g. Law, Engineering, Medicine at all these institutions would be worth 9k, as most of these universities are amongst the top in the league tables

However there are some other courses that would perhaps not be worth 9k and yet are going to be applicable to the new fee
Reply 43
They won't close, they'll just charge 9k
Reply 44
I wouldn't be surprised to see some of the more provincial ex-polys fold. It's going to hit their numbers hard when they're charging 3x the amount they previously were for something which is still considered sub-standard education vis the established universities. The ex-polys in large cities will probably survive though, as bad as places like TVU and London Met are when you have a city of 8m on your doorstep you can always attract enough people (even at £9k) to continue running the institution.
Original post by NS17
As fun as it must be to patronize me, I understand perfectly well that closing half the universities in the UK would cause significant negative backlash.

If you didn't pick up on that when reading the post I was referring to then maybe you should read it again.

sorry, i go to a real uni, thus have reading to do, must dash
Reply 46
Original post by sil3nt_cha0s

Original post by sil3nt_cha0s
I think the whole nation, apart from the faggots that are Nick Clegg and David Cameron, are in agreement that £9,000 tuition fees are going to totally ruin higher education in the UK.

Yeah I wouldn't be surprised to see some universities go bust. I predict the ex-polys will go bust and a lot of universities will go private too.

The sad thing is, this fees system will never be reversed. It's here forever.

Sweeping generalisations much? [Wrong too, but hey ho]
Reply 47
God bless the efficiency of the free market
Reply 48
Original post by colin4president
sorry, i go to a real uni, thus have reading to do, must dash

God bless this muppet thinking he is something he clearly isn't :s-smilie:
Reply 49
Yes it will force some universities to close, but is that necesarily a bad thing? Hear me out. Now although an extra £6000 a year is a lot the system is such that anyone who wants to study can afford to. So anyone who is put off by the extra £6000 is probably someone who isn't really that passionate about learning (if they were although the £9000 may make them think twice I think most would still want to go). This in turn basically means that the universities that are forced to close would be those where the majority of students weren't really that interested in learning in the first place. And in all honesty do we really want to be funding educational institution where the students aren't that bothered about learning?
Reply 50
Original post by limetang
Yes it will force some universities to close, but is that necesarily a bad thing? Hear me out. Now although an extra £6000 a year is a lot the system is such that anyone who wants to study can afford to. So anyone who is put off by the extra £6000 is probably someone who isn't really that passionate about learning (if they were although the £9000 may make them think twice I think most would still want to go). This in turn basically means that the universities that are forced to close would be those where the majority of students weren't really that interested in learning in the first place. And in all honesty do we really want to be funding educational institution where the students aren't that bothered about learning?

You get students that aren't that bothered about learning at reputable universities aswell though. I knew a few people last year that were just interested in taking drugs, getting drunk and generally being away from their parents. Half of those people have already dropped out.
Reply 51
:facepalm: at a poorly disguised 'lower university' bashing thread.

I go to the University of Chester. A quick Guardian search puts it at 79th overall and 41st for English.

In the National Student Satisfaction survey last year, Chester came 1st for English. League tables do not account for everything and as such should not be the basis for "lolz all unis that are below 10th in the league tables should be closed down".

We can only speculate about closures at this point and the majority of people seem to be taking the elitist approach to the topic :rolleyes:
Reply 52
Original post by ajp100688
You get students that aren't that bothered about learning at reputable universities aswell though. I knew a few people last year that were just interested in taking drugs, getting drunk and generally being away from their parents. Half of those people have already dropped out.

True, but I'd bet a higher proprtion of those at the less reputable universities behave like that, as opposed to more well respected universities.
Reply 53
Original post by Kaykiie

I go to the University of Chester. A quick Guardian search puts it at 79th overall and 41st for English.

In the National Student Satisfaction survey last year, Chester came 1st for English. League tables do not account for everything and as such should not be the basis for "lolz all unis that are below 10th in the league tables should be closed down".

We can only speculate about closures at this point and the majority of people seem to be taking the elitist approach to the topic :rolleyes:

To be honest, I don't think I've read a single comment on this forum about ex-polys that hasn't had a sneering undertone. Unless of course the poster is older than seventeen.
Reply 54

True, but I'd bet a higher proprtion of those at the less reputable universities behave like that, as opposed to more well respected universities.

:facepalm2:

I actually can't summon the words :rolleyes:
A university degree is now the minimum entry requirement to a lot of jobs and careers. This fact together with the state of the economy and job market means I don't foresee a dramatic decrease in university applications in the near future. I think most universities will introduce fees at or near the £9000 mark - ex-poly's included.

Then Stelios Haji-Ioannou will open the first easyUniversity in 2013, The University of Slough, offering degrees from £90* (with individual lectures costing from £15 each). A few people complain that the BA in French actually teaches Spanish but are quickly silenced when it is explained that it comes in handy when flying easyJet to Lille International.
Reply 56
This is my HONEST opinion. The ex-polys will go bust. This is because the universities are likely to close or cut down on the number of courses they offer, e.g. with the least applicants. Therefore, naturally, less people will go to university and look to other ventures such as Apprenticeships etc. I feel that lower ranked universities such as London Met will go bust and close because of the lack of people interested in very specific courses, it is my understanding that people looking for more 'vocational' courses go to ex-polys?
As a result, I feel this will have a more positive effect on education. People looking to go to university "to get drunk and blow my loan on booze" are less likely to fill up courses such as Nutrition Studies or Comedy Studies (yeah: http://www.solent.ac.uk/courses/undergraduate/comedy_writing_and_performance_ba/course_details.aspx), and therefore restore the worth of degrees. Overall, it will limit the amount of "fun" degrees 'for the hell of it' and actually make studying worthwhile!
I hope universities do not close, I hope some of them cut down on the amount of courses and restore their vocational worth. Positive effect on the country in the long run!
Reply 57
Original post by viksta1000
well I agree with you, but some courses at said universities are justifiable to the new fees, e.g. Law, Engineering, Medicine at all these institutions would be worth 9k, as most of these universities are amongst the top in the league tables

However there are some other courses that would perhaps not be worth 9k and yet are going to be applicable to the new fee

Well I don't agree.

Law is something you could do anywhere.

The only real Unis that would offer something different would be the old boy connection - your Oxbridges and what not.

So Law at Manc/ Sheffield etc will give you no edge over someone @ Reading or something.

In fact My ex GF was at Sheffield law and she's struggling.

the ENg ranks are bogus cause very few unis even do it.

Medicine is like law - standardised, which means one could consider MBBS @ Dehli university since in anycase you will end up in the NHS anyway, which is why you see so many Indian medical staff in UK.

Is medicine @ Manc worth 8x 5 = 40k more when you get the same result anyway ? you'd be mug to think so but hey your money burn it anyway you want.
Reply 58
Original post by Kaykiie

What appeals to students and what is academically rigorous is not the same thing. Besides the NSS is a stupid thing, no one really slags off their uni because it'll affect their uni's ranking and ergo some % of it's reputation.
Reply 59

What appeals to students and what is academically rigorous is not the same thing. Besides the NSS is a stupid thing, no one really slags off their uni because it'll affect their uni's ranking and ergo some % of it's reputation.

But if it was a highly ranked uni that held 1st place it would be an accurate finding :rolleyes:

Actually, the English department here was given a high mark for being very academically rigorous. Just goes to show that universities cannot be judged on their league table positions alone.

Quick Reply