The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by INeedToLoseWeight
I don't want my periods to come while I have exams

Nobody in my school gets periods during the exams, we get all the time off :smile:
Reply 21
Okay thanks guys. I'm going to phone my GP and see when I can get an appointment. Even though I'm quite scared I would rather go by myself than with my mum or a friend.

Is there a family planning clinic near you run by the NHS? I go there instead of the doctors and its normally much easier to get an appointment cos its just for people that need pills etc, whereas at a doctors there'll be people going for all sorts
Original post by ahoward
Is there a family planning clinic near you run by the NHS? I go there instead of the doctors and its normally much easier to get an appointment cos its just for people that need pills etc, whereas at a doctors there'll be people going for all sorts

I think the nearest one would be about thirty miles away as I live in a rural area, whereas the doctors is four miles away, an in the same village as my school.

I have another question for people- would either the contraceptive pill or the other one work given that my periods can be quite irregular?
Reply 23
I've got some from my GP for when I go on holiday, I'm not sure if its a contraceptive, although once you stop taking them then your period should start. She also assured me there were no adverse side-effects other than nausea.
Original post by Uzzy?

Original post by Uzzy?
I've got some from my GP for when I go on holiday, I'm not sure if its a contraceptive, although once you stop taking them then your period should start. She also assured me there were no adverse side-effects other than nausea.

How long does it take for the nausea to subside? I really don't want to feel sick during exams/ festivals either
Is not the contraceptive pill? I don't want my periods to come while I have exams, and also I am going to a festival this summer and really don't want to be on my period. I don't see the point on going on the contraceptive pill because it will make me gain weight, and because I am not in a relationship, anyone i so sleep with I use a condom anyway. My friend told me she has these pills that you take if you get your period and it stops in about three hours, but she could be havering out her arse for all I know. Anyone know? I don't want to ask the doctor if no such pill exists.

I'm on Cerazette, which is a contraceptive, but I lost a stone when I started taking it. And besides- whilst sometimes contraceptive pills increase your appetite, you can always nibble on celery or something so that you don't put on weight!
Reply 26
Original post by jess.
This. This is what I've gotten when I've gone to festivals. Just go to the doctor, explain why you need it and they'll give you a prescription. Your mum needs not know and you'll get it for free as you're under 18.

All contraceptives are free on prescription, no matter what age. :smile:
Reply 27
Original post by Cybele

What? Really? In the UK? Here they're only free/ cheaper if you're under 20 *grumbles*
Well I live in scotland so all prescriptions are free anyway :biggrin:
Original post by Luceria
Really? Everything? :confused:

Yes, England is the only country in the UK where you have to pay for prescriptions now :smile:

I just found out my medical centre has an online appointment booker, result :biggrin:
Original post by Luceria
I'm really rather surprised. It sound strange that you don't have to pay. I mean, you even have to pay here. Strange.

Hm,maybe your government spends the taxes elsewhere.
Reply 31
Original post by Luceria
What? Really? In the UK? Here they're only free/ cheaper if you're under 20 *grumbles*

Contraceptives are free, everything else is only free if you're under 19 and in full-time education. (In England)

In Scotland, everything is free, for everyone. :hmpf: It hardly seems fair.
Reply 32
Hm,maybe your government spends the taxes elsewhere.

Norway is rather similar to Scotland in some ways. Though I didn't know there were places were medications on prescriptions were free. I'm rather jealous!
Contraceptives are free if you're under 20, I think.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 33
How long does it take for the nausea to subside? I really don't want to feel sick during exams/ festivals either

I'm assuming throughout :frown: although there is a chance you may not feel anything at all? Depends really.
Is not the contraceptive pill? I don't want my periods to come while I have exams, and also I am going to a festival this summer and really don't want to be on my period. I don't see the point on going on the contraceptive pill because it will make me gain weight, and because I am not in a relationship, anyone i so sleep with I use a condom anyway. My friend told me she has these pills that you take if you get your period and it stops in about three hours, but she could be havering out her arse for all I know. Anyone know? I don't want to ask the doctor if no such pill exists.

Yep, there is, i went to the doctor and explained i didn't want to be on my period whilst on holiday so she prescribed me this pill i started taking 2 days before my period was due, once a day for 10 days. I started my period 2-3 days after i stopped taking the pill, don't remember what it was called though - sorry! Just ask your doc about it, it'll be fine :smile:.
Reply 35
Original post by Cybele

It's not a contraceptive
Reply 36
Original post by jess.
It's not a contraceptive

Whatever?
Lol, best to go to your doctor, the medical advice on here is quite funny xD Norethisterone? is just progesterone and is used in many mini pills and injections, which are contraceptives, when you take it you are taking a contraceptive, its used because it is fast acting unlike combined contraceptives....also it doesnt always stop your bleeding. It is also a myth that the pill makes you put on weight, there is no evidence supporting this.

Your doctor will not inform anyone abut your appointment so dont worrya bout your parents.

Latest

Trending

Trending