The Student Room Group

Writing to argue, persuade and advice

English GCSE - paper 1, section B
Writing to argue, persuade and advice :smile:

Which one would you recommend me doing? Which one is the easiest to get high marks on? Like in persuade you can just learn lots of persuasive devices...

Do you have any advice on doing well?

Also...
Paper 2, section B
Writing to inform, describe and explain :smile:

To be honest, I hate all three and don't see the difference.

Any advice on which one I should do and how to do well?

Thanks in advance :smile:
Reply 1
you will be given a question, you don't choose. for example the question may be describe a time when you felt you privacy had been invaded.. this is what i have been told anyway.. hope this helps. :smile:
Naah you get to choose...personally arguing is easier; for and against views and add some rhetorical questions...examiner hooked!
Reply 3
I've always been advised to go with 'persuade' as it means one isn't required to present any opposing views, and after having learnt a few devices, most 'writing to persuade' questions are not difficult to obtain full marks on.
Reply 4
Original post by Paintgirl50

Writing to argue, persuade and advice

Original post by Paintgirl50

Do you have any advice on doing well?

It's been a while since I was at school but I would advise you learn the difference in spelling between between the noun (advice) and the verb (advise) if you are hoping to use them in an exam! :tongue:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 5
Argue or persuade - I personally chose argue because I found it the most fun out of the 3. Since it's your own opinion, you're given a lot of creative freedom.

My teacher was against advise unless it was a really good question because you'll be desperately pulling things out of the air if the question's awful which won't help in a timed exam! xD

The second part really depends on your writing style. I have always loved descriptive writing, which meant that I tackled that question head on and enjoyed it. The questions make it relatively clear what you're expected to do.
(edited 12 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest