The Student Room Group

Am i normal? or too skinny?

Sorry for another weight thread, i know you're all probally sick of these by now. Anyway i was wondering what you think of my weight, because my family think im too skinny and think i don't eat, whereas i think my weight is ok, but from the constant comments i've been getting from members of my family, it's making me wonder whether they are right.

I got my weight checked, and i'm 5ft 3.7" (1.62m)
7st 11lb (49.8 kg)
BMI:19.0
body fat (%) 18%

21 yr old girl.

From the above info, what do you think? is my weight ok?

Thanks

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Skinny.
Sorry: pics of GTFO
Pics or it didn't happen
Reply 4
You seem really skinny but it doesn't mean you should start eating like an animal try to balance your diet really wisely and maybe eat more unhealthy stuff, surely they are not perfect but you might need to eat a little bit more than you do right now, you should aim to have body fat percentage of about 20-23%, that's why my teacher told me ages ago apparently it's really good because it's nicely balanced and don't worry you're fine ! XX
i was that weight when i was clinically diagnosed as having anorexia.
Reply 6
Original post by Anonymous
Sorry for another weight thread, i know you're all probally sick of these by now. Anyway i was wondering what you think of my weight, because my family think im too skinny and think i don't eat, whereas i think my weight is ok, but from the constant comments i've been getting from members of my family, it's making me wonder whether they are right.

7st 11lb (49.8 kg)
body fat (%) 18%

21 yr old girl.

Thanks

Well for BMI the 18-24 range is classed as 'normal' weight :smile: For your height that does sound about right tbh. If it makes you feel any better I'm 5ft 11 and 8st 3 and am by no means skinny! And that's after seeing a doctor about it because my friends said similar things about me. They said it was due to genetics and nothing to worry about.
I know it sounds daft but my mum always says that some people are lighter because of their bone structure, so it could be that :tongue:

Of course, if you're really worried about it, I would bring it up with your doctor the next time you have a check-up so they can put your mind at ease. Though, from what you've said, I think that you sound 'normal' :smile:

* To the person that negged me: Can you please explain your reason for doing so?
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 7
You dont sound skinny..

Im 5'5" (1.65m) and weigh 7st 10lbs (49kg) and consider myself as normal.. Depends on what you understand by skinny tbh :smile:
That's fairly skinny, but not unusually or dangerously so.
Your BMI is still in the healthy range, so it's fine.
Original post by seasons of wither
a bit too skinny. BMI should be 20-24 ideally, but 18-25 is the okish range. put on some weight :smile:

According to whose ideals? Yours?
Reply 11
PICS OR GTFO- Your BMI is normal? We'll need pics...
Reply 12
Original post by ButterflyWishes

Really: :/ I thought this is the normal weight for a girl my age. My family have a tendency to over-react to things, and my dad thinks im not eating much, whereas my sister knows i eat ALOT, she usually makes comments like 'Are you eating for two?'
Thin, but still sounds healthy to me. Obviously you shouldn't lose any further weight.
(edited 13 years ago)
Sounds like you're pretty skinny... But supposedly if its in the BMI range its ok, however I don't really believe this that much as BMI just means you're in an ok weight range, doesn't give any opinion as to your actual size.
I'd say you were slim not skinny. If you eat normally then it's probably natural. I'm the same - whatever I eat I don't put on weight, I used to weigh the same as you at 5ft6 :s
Reply 16
Really: :/ I thought this is the normal weight for a girl my age. My family have a tendency to over-react to things, and my dad thinks im not eating much, whereas my sister knows i eat ALOT, she usually makes comments like 'Are you eating for two?'

That doesn't mean there's a problem with you. The person who posted that may have a much larger build, may be taller etc. Anorexia isn't about being below a certain weight, it's about being below a certain weight in relation to your body type (along with all the other issues that go with the disorder).

Your BMI is within the 'normal' range. You are fine. You could put weight on if you wanted to, and still be fine. However you just can't go losing a lot of weight, as then you will not be fine. But I'm sure that's not a problem for you.

For the record, I'm 5'4 and just hitting about 8st, and I can eat like a horse. You're just slim as well.

Edit: I'm 20 so I'd say we're a similar build/age etc. My doctor never told me to put weight on. (Though when I was a kid my mum used to think I was far too skinny).
(edited 13 years ago)
You're fine, providing you're eating healthily, my advice would be to just ignore the "You're too skinny!" comments. Assure your family if they’re worried, but if it’s getting irritating just tell them to stop. That you know you’re slim but you’re okay.

I'm 5'6" and around 100lbs. BMI is never a very accurate measurement; according to that I'm pretty damn underweight. I'm naturally slim and have been all my life and I suspect that it's probably in my genes; my dad is the same (though... with a slight beer belly, so if I do get fat that's where it'll all accumulate!) I eat plenty and don't give a damn about weight (ideally, I'll like to gain some. Will have to wait for a growth spurt.)

Essentially, you're at the perfect weight where you can afford to gain some weight but don't have to if you don't want to :h: So if you're happy, just ignore everyone else.
Original post by ButterflyWishes

Are you taller though? because I'm that weight and I'm definitely not anorexic.

7st 11lb (49.8 kg)
body fat (%) 18%

21 yr old girl.

Thanks

As long as you're eating healthily you should be fine! Your BMI looks ok, so as long as you're eating ok you should be alright! Maybe add a few more healthy things (avocado maybe) to your diet if you want to put on a little weight :biggrin:
Original post by Holly Hiskey

Original post by Holly Hiskey
Are you taller though? because I'm that weight and I'm definitely not anorexic.

D

Being underweight doesn't mean you're anorexic. There's no 'set weight' which determines people as anorexic; it relies on other factors as well. Namely, a fear of food/ deliberate abstinence from food. It's a mental illness... And I always feel terrible for those who have it, and worry for them like crazy, and admire those who have gotten through recovery and have beaten it.

Sorry, I know you didn't mean it in that way. I just get a bit touchy on this topic; I had a friend who had it, and it was awful. used to cry at night worried sick for her. It completely ruined her life and sapped everything out of her and I get so... angry by how often people throw the comments about how skinny people = anorexics nowadays. Same applies to references to OCD.

If you're slim and eat well then just be grateful for that; others aren't so lucky. Try not to worry about what everyone else thinks :h:
(edited 13 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending