The Student Room Group

Do Drugs influence creativity and more innovation/imagination?

Pretty much every musician has been on drugs and their lyrics in their songs are proof. It is also known that the drugs you give to people with ADHD or Alzeimers Disease apparently increase cognitive abilities in those who don't have the disease.
Some of even the greatest scientists even did some.

Richard Feynman and Carl Sagan did marijuana.

Apparently even Einstein did some pot but this is not on any official sources as I can imagine a lot of people would lose respect for him.

So is it true drugs enchance creative abilities, imagination and innovation?

:leaf::bandit:
(edited 13 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

I always come up with my best musical ideas when stoned off my tits, lying in bed just before I go to sleep.

Remembering them in the morning however, is a trick I've yet to master.
i imagine stuff like acid would aid creativity
Reply 3
Original post by mikeyd85
I always come up with my best musical ideas when stoned off my tits, lying in bed just before I go to sleep.

Remembering them in the morning however, is a trick I've yet to master.

Have you ever thought of writing/recording them down?
Original post by NO ONE
Have you ever thought of writing/recording them down?

Yes, but generally I'm either too tired or more than aware that I should already be asleep and have work the next day.
Reply 5
oh yhhhhhhhhh :smile:
Yes but most of the musicians who write when they are high end up just writing random words down as lyrics, its not exactly lyrical genius.
Original post by didgeridoo12uk
i imagine stuff like acid would aid creativity

Acid makes you too stupid for that. It took me and a mate 20 minutes to work out how to make "Instant Custard" even though the instruction of "Just Add Hot Water" was as clear as day on the front...
Reply 8
Cannabis can do.

In one program, I saw they did a dictionary test or something and his language was actually enhanced after using cannabis and his vocab was a lot broader.

Might re-take my GCSE English but this time...:holmes:
Reply 9
Yes.
For arts, I'd imagine it helps.

For mathematics and sciences...yeah. I wouldn't be designing a nuclear pressure vessel whilst stoned.
Reply 11
Depends which drugs. Things like weed, K, acid, shrooms, etc definitely increase your imagination.... Writing things down whilst on K, acid and shrooms can be somewhat difficult though....

With things like Ecstacy, cocaine and speed - you may feel more creative, but in reality you're usually just chatting ****.
Reply 12
Acid makes you too stupid for that. It took me and a mate 20 minutes to work out how to make "Instant Custard" even though the instruction of "Just Add Hot Water" was as clear as day on the front...

For some reason I'm really curious as to what you did with that custard.

Ahh..what I would do for a spliff in one hand and a paintbrush in another....
JK I'm more of a shrooms kinda gal :awesome:
if hypothetically we assume that it does increase cognitive ability could it be because they're dependent on the drug and that they find it hard to think without being high? lots of smokers claim that cigarettes increase their concentration skills and reduce stress but as you know the opposite is likely to be true!
Reply 14
or it is just an excuse for the artists to get high !!! =)
Original post by Mm_Minty
For some reason I'm really curious as to what you did with that custard.

Ahh..what I would do for a spliff in one hand and a paintbrush in another....
JK I'm more of a shrooms kinda gal :awesome:

Mixed it with Rice Crispies for a lovely snack! :biggrin: Now Shrooms, that'll get your head working overtime.
Original post by Jtking3000
if hypothetically we assume that it does increase cognitive ability could it be because they're dependent on the drug and that they find it hard to think without being high? lots of smokers claim that cigarettes increase their concentration skills and reduce stress but as you know the opposite is likely to be true!

Dope makes you think in different ways. I wouldn't say it increased your cognitive ability, just allows you to relax more than normal, allowing your mind to be more free in it's exploration.

I sound like a proper ****ing hippy now...

ahaha amazing
Reply 18
No; drugs are poisonous to the mind
Some drugs do and some musicians end up addicts...

Janis Joplin, Kurt Cobain...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending