The Student Room Group

Oxford or Cambridge?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by anil10100
And the reason I'm asking this question is that it's pointless me wasting a choice on a university I'm much less likely to get into, when I could have got an offer from a uni I have an equal preference for.

The application to entry ratio is about the same at both. The ultimate thing is this: if you're good enough at maths you'll probably get in, and if you're not, you probably won't. But if you're not good enough and in the unlikely event that you manage to 'play the system' (assuming the existence of a 'system' to play, which is itself unlikely), then chances are you won't be as successful as you could be elsewhere.
Reply 41
Original post by nuodai
The application to entry ratio is about the same at both. The ultimate thing is this: if you're good enough at maths you'll probably get in, and if you're not, you probably won't. But if you're not good enough and in the unlikely event that you manage to 'play the system' (assuming the existence of a 'system' to play, which is itself unlikely), then chances are you won't be as successful as you could be elsewhere.

How am I meant to know if I'm good enough at maths D: ?
Original post by secret_geek
You're hilarious. I'm at cambridge, I went to private school and 99.999999% of the people I have met also went to private school. :rolleyes:

you're obviously pretty selective about who you associate with, because the majority of the people i know (and i know many) are from grammar schools or comprehensives.
maybe try branching out a little, being from a private school is not going to help you for much longer.
Original post by *Hakz*
Cambridge = Maths, in my opinion.

But at the end of the day, going to Oxford will not hinder your chances in the future; so in essence you are pretty sorted.

If you do get an offer for both universities, you simply can't make decision based on reputation as there are of equal calibre in my opinion.

So think of factor such as location, course content, social life e.t.c to make your university life worthwhile afterall.

You can't apply to Oxford and Cambridge in the same year

Edit: Sorry, just seen that someone else has already told you this!
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 44
Original post by Salliana23

Original post by Salliana23
You can't apply to Oxford and Cambridge in the same year

Edit: Sorry, just seen that someone else has already told you this!

Thanks for making an effort either way :smile:
Original post by Josh_Dey
bitch lol

why?

Original post by mevidek
you said Private school, so everyone there does. That is not a state school... :duh:

huh?

Original post by nuodai
Have you only met yourself?.

Erhhh? No...
Original post by bigbosomsevie
you're obviously pretty selective about who you associate with, because the majority of the people i know (and i know many) are from grammar schools or comprehensives.
maybe try branching out a little, being from a private school is not going to help you for much longer.

Nothing wrong with being selective about who you associate with.... I genuinely have come across about 5 people this year though. It's not really something I talk about though, so maybe more people. :rolleyes:
Reply 47
Oxford. Just look at the boat race
Reply 48

huh?

You said that you went to a private school but most of the people in your "state" school didn't have contacts, and state schools are funded by the government and not by parents.
Reply 49
Original post by anil10100
This isn't the case, I have had a look at and into both universities and like the locations, teaching styles, extracurricular facilities, and location of both (particularly Emmanuel College).

Emmanuel is the best college and you should definitely apply to it. I am also definitely not biased in any way :yes:

And however credible the guy aboves post doesn't sound, I went to a meeting where a Cambridge admissions tutor was saying they do take into account your school in respect to national averages.

They look at your grades in context, and there is an algorithm (details somewhere on their website) which shows how the way they convert your GCSEs into points is affected by the rating of your school nationally. If you're academically strong but have poorer grades because of your school, schemes like the CSAS are there to help, and you will be considered as an applicant on your individual merits, which may have been masked because of where you went to school. But it's worth knowing that being a state comprehensive student categorically isn't a ticket into Oxbridge.
Original post by mevidek
You said that you went to a private school but most of the people in your "state" school didn't have contacts, and state schools are funded by the government and not by parents.

Huh? I said most state school people wouldn't have contacts....
Nothing wrong with being selective about who you associate with.... I genuinely have come across about 5 people this year though. It's not really something I talk about though, so maybe more people. :rolleyes:

You must have poor selective abilities then, judging by the people you associate yourself with.

I also have a lot of contacts, I have around 100 in my phonebook.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by Keith Lemon
You must have poor selective abilities then, judging by the people you associate yourself with.

I also have a lot of contacts, I have around 100 in my phonebook.

Haha shullup you lemon, i love you :smile: <3

I have around 100 in my phonebook.

me too! wowza
Original post by AAfc
Oxford. Just look at the boat race

Cambridge do better in the boat race ACTUALLY

The current Course Record is 16 mins 19 secs - set by Cambridge in 1998.

AND

Cambridge currently lead the series since 1829 by 80-75

:p:p:tongue:
Reply 55
Huh? I said most state school people wouldn't have contacts....

I thought you meant your private school is a state school...
Original post by mevidek
I thought you meant your private school is a state school...

Clearly not...
Original post by Melanie-v
Who's the girl in your sig? :tongue:

That would be the delectable Mila Kunis :wink:
Reply 58
Clearly not...

well I misunderstood what you were saying.
Can any successful applicant of oxford or cambridge comment on the MAT/STEP respectively?

A-levels are turning out to be very easy but after looking at these two tests i must conclude that the MAT looks completely do-able. Its a level above A level (no pun intended) but with a bit of practice i don't think its so bad. I saw a statistic somewhere that said that successful applicants averaged 75% on this test- given that 40% of the paper is in the form of 10 four mark multiple choice questions that shouldn't really be answered incorrectly...well...i don't think it would overly be a problem.

The STEP on the other hand, though i've only spent perhaps 30 minutes sampling it, looks like a completely different beast. Could anyone direct me to what they might expect of a competitive applicant to attain on this test? Presumably the average score of successful applicant in the STEP would be lower than that of a successful applicant of Oxford's MAT to compensate for the test's clearly greater difficulty? Or is Cambridge maths really just harder to get in?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending