The Student Room Group

Cameron says the rich must pay more tax

Scroll to see replies

Original post by WelshBluebird
Except it isn't that is it.
Its 50p in the £1 for everything over £150,000 (which is 6 times the average wage).

Even with that being the case, higher earners do pay an enormous amount of tax and they are also penalised when it comes to pensions, child benefit, student loans etc. so I don't think it would be particularly fair to tax them even more.
Reply 21
Original post by WelshBluebird
Except it isn't that is it.
Its 50p in the £1 for everything over £150,000 (which is 6 times the average wage).

I'm quite aware of how to tax system works. Once a person has earned over £150 000, for every £1 he earns, he loses 50p to the government and this is before VAT, council tax and all the other ways in which the government take money from the rich. Whatever way you look at it, that's a lot of money. For every million a banker earns in a bonus, the government directly gets £500 000 and indirectly probably much more.

I'm not saying I'm particularly opposed to the 50p tax rate, but I think the tax system and the rich have been squeezed as much as is realistically possible.
"Tony Blair, worried by the prospect of compensation claims, apologised for the Potato Famine and expressed his deep sorrow for slavery."

This was my favourite bit.

But why do we always have to bail other countries out of their own s**t? I wouldn't mind but there are a lot of people who struggle over here. Charity begins at home.
So, if he doesn't tax the rich, hes a high class douchebag, and when he does tax the rich, he's a hypocrite?

I'm sorry but it sounds like people are just hating for the sake of hating/cos they have an agenda with him and not his policy.
Reply 24
Original post by Ayshizzle
"Tony Blair, worried by the prospect of compensation claims, apologised for the Potato Famine and expressed his deep sorrow for slavery."

This was my favourite bit.

But why do we always have to bail other countries out of their own s**t? I wouldn't mind but there are a lot of people who struggle over here. Charity begins at home.

Just how i would have put it.
Reply 25
Original post by angrydanmarin
So, if he doesn't tax the rich, hes a high class douchebag, and when he does tax the rich, he's a hypocrite?

I'm sorry but it sounds like people are just hating for the sake of hating/cos they have an agenda with him and not his policy.

No! The point is he doesn't tax the rich and the fact that he is telling another country to do so makes him a hypocrite
Reply 26
Original post by kevR94

Original post by kevR94
No! The point is he doesn't tax the rich and the fact that he is telling another country to do so makes him a hypocrite

Except he does, when the top richest 10% of the country contribute around 40% to all tax revenue? [Probably more?]
Wait so why is the top tier income tax in the UK being decreased?

Unless I have missed something, Cameron is being a tad hypocritical.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by kevR94

You really are clueless aren't you, he does tax the rich.
Reply 29
Original post by Ocassus
Except he does, when the top richest 10% of the country contribute around 40% to all tax revenue? [Probably more?]

Firstly i dont thing they contribute enough.

Secondly, the rich dodge the tax and he dosent do anything about it. Thats what this argument is about.
Reply 30
Original post by tehFrance
You really are clueless aren't you, he does tax the rich.

Yes ok i cocked up. I should have said that he dosent tax them enough and dosent take enough off them overall.
Reply 31
Original post by Student2806
In other news, Colonel Gaddafi tells the world to embrace democracy.

haha spot on mate. Cameron is just saying that to lure voters. We all know they break their promises once they're in power :rolleyes:
Original post by L18
I think what people were getting at is Cameron and his party letting corporations such as Vodaphone off with millions of pounds of taxes.

Can't say I'm suprised one bit.

Vodafone do pay their taxes. I don't think it is a case of "pot calling kettle black".

Pakistan is a different kettle of fish. Less than 2% of the population pay taxes. That isn't the case here in the UK. Most people in Pakistan are either "middle class" or "lower class". They have no interest or desire to pay taxes or can't afford it. There needs to be political, legal reforms.... there just needs to be reform and urgent reforms needed in the country.

I back Cameron, and he has point, the money Britain is sending has a condition to be used for education. Pakistan should grow it's own backbone and improve on it's infrastructure. In doing so, it need to reform itself. It can be an economic powerhouse. There is nothing stopping it.

He is not being hypocritical by suggesting Pakistani Rich should pay taxes

Vodafone, Arcadia, BSKYB, major companies do pay taxes. Rich people do pay taxes. It really isn't "pot kettle black". I think it is naive to suggest otherwise.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 33
Original post by Student2806
In other news, Colonel Gaddafi tells the world to embrace democracy.

:rofl:
Reply 34
"Too many of your richest people are getting away without paying much tax at all and that's not fair"

:rofl:
Original post by kevR94
Yes ok i cocked up. I should have said that he dosent tax them enough and dosent take enough off them overall.

:eek: 50% tax (it is 50% if you earn over 150k, isn't it?) not good enough?
Reply 36
Original post by NO ONE
haha spot on mate. Cameron is just saying that to lure voters. We all know they break their promises once they're in power :rolleyes:

Completely agree. :smile:
Reply 37
Original post by tehFrance
:eek: 50% tax (it is 50% if you earn over 150k, isn't it?) not good enough?

NO, so in an economic climate such as ours, the way the tories are going about it, is it better to take off the poor by cutting important things such as frontline services etc. or take a lot from the rich and solve it.

They are taking money from the poor and they are gonna be worse off. If you take money off the rich and solve the problem the rich will still be rich and the poor will be less poor.
Reply 38
The vodafone deal was made by HMRC not the government.
Reply 39
Original post by L18
I think what people were getting at is Cameron and his party letting corporations such as Vodaphone off with millions of pounds of taxes.

Can't say I'm suprised one bit.

They don't have a leg to stand on against tax avoidance, since by definition it is legal. Funny how all the left wing students hate Philip Green as well, the Guardian Media Group is one of the biggest culprits, I doubt they would stop reading that paper due to it.

Quick Reply