The Student Room Group

Why can't people accept that attractiveness is a major part in a relationship...

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by effofex
Well, physical attractiveness would surely be of significant importance for sex, but surely not for a relationship?

Are you being this dense on purpose?
Reply 81
Original post by o Rebecca o
Like I said, I know looks are a bonus.

Ask yourself this

Would you rather be with someone who is ugly but has a heart of gold, or a hot guy who treats you like crap?

I honestly would go for the less attractive guy.

A few years ago I went out with a guy who wasn't exactly prince charming but we lasted for about a year. I honestly thought we weren't going to last for a week, so I was surprised.

Put yourself in his shoes. If you liked an attractive guy who thought you were ugly, wouldn't you have at least been happy to be given a chance for a few dates? And it is only a few dates, it's not like you're accepting a marriage proposal from him.

Or you could stop basing your opinions on such ridiculous false dichotomy. :s-smilie:
Reply 82
Original post by Igor00
Are you being this dense on purpose?

Thank god someone else agrees. Maybe if I was a 13 year old child with zits who decided to go out with someone because they were there and the only thing we'd do physically is hold hands and kiss sloppily sometimes, but that's not the case in an adult relationship.
Original post by Anonymous
Why am I a ****? I'm certainly not a troll, and I don't see anything wrong with what I've said, I'm being honest. Would YOU go out with someone who you weren't attracted to at all?

Would I go out with somebody I wasn't attracted to at all? No. Would I go out with somebody I wasn't physically attracted to at all? Yes.

There are different elements of attraction, physical attraction is just one of them. If I had a strong emotional bond with the girl in the photo you so needlessly posted (therein lies the reason I think you're a **** - how would you feel if somebody posted a photo of you on the internet as an example of ugliness?), if I thought she was kind, caring and/or funny and I geniunely felt happy when I was with her, then of course I'd go out with her.

The qualities I list above are rarer, more meaningful and less fleeting than superficial appearance; I see dozens of women I'd like to **** everyday, I'm yet to meet a single one I'd like to spend the rest of my life with.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 84
Original post by Chucklefiend
Would I go out with somebody I wasn't attracted to at all? No. Would I go out with somebody I wasn't physically attracted to at all? Yes.

There are different elements of attraction, physical attraction is just one of them. If I had a strong emotional bond with the girl in the photo you so needlessly posted (therein lies the reason I think you're a **** - how would you feel if somebody posted a photo of you on the internet as an example of ugliness?), if I thought she was kind, caring and/or funny and I geniunely felt happy when I was with her, then of course I'd go out with her.

The qualities I list above are rarer, more meaningful and less fleeting than superficial appearance; I see dozens of women I'd like to **** everyday, I'm yet to meet a single one I'd like to spend the rest of my life with.

The girl was a random picture on google, probably photoshopped, that came under "ugly girl", not just someone I know. I used it to demonstrate. How would I feel if that was used as a demonstration? Well, considering she's on the first page of a google image search, then I'd probably have already accepted it.

Also, physical attraction does play a part in emotional attraction. I think you're trying to make yourself sound nicer by denying that physical attraction wouldn't come into it at some point. There's a package. I'm not saying Ineed a hot guy, but there's no chance I'll ever feel romantically attracted to this guy, partially due to his looks and partially due to the way we're completely different emotionally. Probably more the latter, but still partially the former.

Stop trying to be a martyr here.
Reply 85

Oh yeah, and you've said you've yet to meet a single girl you'd like to spend the rest of your life with, well, so would I. I'm hardly saying "this guy is perfect in every way but I'm just not attracted to him", I'm saying "this guy is nice, sweet and we get along but I don't think we have the emotional spark and I don't have the physical attraction to him".

I know plenty of sweet, nice, caring guys who make me laugh but it doesn't mean I want a relationship with them. Attraction is MORE than that and that's what I'm trying to say here.

Get off your moral high horse and actually think about things realistically.
Stop trying to be a martyr here.

:curious: Do you actually know what a martyr is?

...I have no intention of dying in the name of this cause. :rolleyes:

Get off your moral high horse and actually think about things realistically.

If you want realism, here's some for you:

Physical appearance is fleeting and transient - whoever you end up with will be physically unattractive in 20-30 years and physically repulsive in 40-50 years.

If you rule out having a relationship with somebody on the purely basis of physical appearance, you ARE shallow and superficial.

Shallow and superficial people inexorably end up miserable and lonely.

I have nothing to gain from pretending to place more emphasis on qualities besides physical attraction, I'm just being honest as you claim to be.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 87
:tongue:

:curious: Do you actually know what a martyr is?

...I have no intention of dying in the name of this cause. :rolleyes:

If you want realism, here's some for you:

Physical appearance is fleeting and transient - whoever you end up with will be physically unattractive in 20-30 years and physically repulsive in 40-50 years.

If you rule out having a relationship with somebody on the purely basis of physical appearance, you ARE shallow and superficial.

Shallow and superficial people inexorably end up miserable and lonely.

I have nothing to gain from pretending to place more emphasis on qualities besides physical attraction, I'm just being honest as you claim to be.

1) A martyr is a term used in every day life and doesn't necessarily mean "dying for the cause".

2) I'm ONLY 20. I'll be in education for another 5 years and after that I'll be a doctor and not interested in forming a family for at least another 5 years after I graduate. Who I'll be with in 20-30 years isn't relevant to me at the moment, or at least, isn't something I'm thinking about. Also by that time even if I date the most beautiful person in the world who thinks I'm the most beautiful person in the world, we'll both be growing ugly together. If I'm in love with him romantically then that won't bother me. I'm not saying that looks mean as much as you're saying I am, and if I had another connection with this guy romantically then fair dos but I don't.

3) If you read my previous posts properly you'd realise I didn't say it was solely looks putting me off him, for ****s sake. There are aspects of our personality that aren't really compatible either, and I just don't see him like that. Sorry for not wanting a relationship with someone I see as just a friend. Sorry if not wanting to **** every guy who's sweet and has a good personality makes me shallow, but there are some people I just want as friends and nothing more and tbh that's the same for everyone, surely.

4) I place personality WAY above looks, however I'm just saying looks come into it and if it's someone who I've gotten to know and don't find we're entirely compatible physically or in terms of personality, I don't want a relationship with them.

5) As I keep saying, I'm ONLY 20, I've been in my fair share of relationships and also had my fair share of casual relationships with people and I'm told I'm a good person and attractive, whether or not I agree with them is a different story and I don't have a huge ego so I'm not going to say that I find myself "awesome and hot" or anything, but I'm confident I'm not bad tbh. I'm not scared of being "lonely" forever at this moment, as I'm not as shallow as you're saying I am, I'm just being realistic.
Reply 88
I'm not a cupid type person, I have no idea how to set him up with someone. I see him only because we're good friends, we're not around eachother's friend groups as much as eachother.

Have you ever had that thing with someone where you both have some sort of connection that seems to go above the realms of friendship and even without telling them you know it's there? You're both clearly attracted to eachother in terms of personality (possibly otherwise, but that's not necessarily what I'm talking about here) and when you talk to them there's just something that sort of clicks? I don't know how to describe it really, but it's something you only really get with people you know you're not "just friends" with. I had it with my ex boyfriend automatically (though it's not always as soon as you meet). We met at a social between our unis and he was sat next to me. We didn't start speaking properly until halfway through the night and as soon as we started talking it was like something just clicked and we spent the rest of the night just talking as though we'd been friends for ages. We had the same sense of humour, some of the same interests and the same way of thinking, and even if we didn't have something in common we'd both be interested in it anyway and we even had debates sometimes but in a good way.

And before anyone thinks anything, this guy wasn't the first guy I noticed in the room before we started talking, in terms of looks I mean. I saw someone much better looking and we were talking too, we got along but there wasn't the same "spark" there and even though he was the first person I noticed in terms of looks I wasn't interested in him as more than a friend.

People also used to tell me "I could do better" than my ex-boyfriend (not particularly good friends of either of us) and I didn't care, because I loved him.

So it's not a case of going for the best looking guy or anything, but it's a combination of factors and I found my ex good looking even if he wasn't typically the guy I'd instantly see in the street and find attractive.
1) A martyr is a term used in every day life and doesn't necessarily mean "dying for the cause". .

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/martyr

2) I'm ONLY 20. I'll be in education for another 5 years and after that I'll be a doctor and not interested in forming a family for at least another 5 years after I graduate. Who I'll be with in 20-30 years isn't relevant to me at the moment, or at least, isn't something I'm thinking about. Also by that time even if I date the most beautiful person in the world who thinks I'm the most beautiful person in the world, we'll both be growing ugly together. If I'm in love with him romantically then that won't bother me. I'm not saying that looks mean as much as you're saying I am, and if I had another connection with this guy romantically then fair dos but I don't.

3) If you read my previous posts properly you'd realise I didn't say it was solely looks putting me off him, for ****s sake. There are aspects of our personality that aren't really compatible either, and I just don't see him like that. Sorry for not wanting a relationship with someone I see as just a friend. Sorry if not wanting to **** every guy who's sweet and has a good personality makes me shallow, but there are some people I just want as friends and nothing more and tbh that's the same for everyone, surely.

4) I place personality WAY above looks, however I'm just saying looks come into it and if it's someone who I've gotten to know and don't find we're entirely compatible physically or in terms of personality, I don't want a relationship with them.

5) As I keep saying, I'm ONLY 20, I've been in my fair share of relationships and also had my fair share of casual relationships with people and I'm told I'm a good person and attractive, whether or not I agree with them is a different story and I don't have a huge ego so I'm not going to say that I find myself "awesome and hot" or anything, but I'm confident I'm not bad tbh. I'm not scared of being "lonely" forever at this moment, as I'm not as shallow as you're saying I am, I'm just being realistic.

I'm not sure why you're telling me your life's ambitions, what has your intention of becoming a doctor got to do with anything? It makes you look like an attention seeker tbh.

If there are truly emotional incompatabilities (you haven't mentioned what any of these are) then why can't you just be honest? Tell him specifically what emotional incompatibilities make a romantic relationship undesirable, then you won't have to mention anything about his appearance, thereby avoiding damaging his self-esteem.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 90
The part I think a few people here are missing is that someone doesn't have to be unattractive for you to not be attracted to them either. Thousands of women think Brad Pitt and George Clooney are absolutely gorgeous but they do absolutely nothing for me.

Being attracted to someone or not is actually pretty much out of your control. Many years ago I was in almost the exact same situation as you are now OP and no one seemed to be able to understand why I couldn't/wouldn't date him. Now, this guy was one of my absolute closest friends and our personalities went brilliantly together. He was not ugly or even unattractive - but I had no romantic or physical attraction to him. For me, it was never anything more than platonic and for him the feelings of attraction faded/went away with time as he accepted that I didn't feel that way.

All you can do is explain to this guy that yes, your personalities do go well together and that's why you like being such good friends. Tell him that whilst he is a great guy you just don't have romantic feelings for him and that you can't make yourself feel something you don't. If he can't accept this then this isn't your fault.

I do actually agree that looks aren't everything in choosing a partner - sometimes you can be attracted to someone that isn't conventionally good looking or perhaps someone that most people would declare bad looking but you feel the attraction. Not being attracted to someone doesn't make you shallow, it just makes you not attracted to them!
Reply 91
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/martyr

I'm not sure why you're telling me your life's ambitions, what has your intention of becoming a doctor got to do with anything? It makes you look like an attention seeker tbh.

If there are truly emotional incompatabilities (you haven't mentioned what any of these are) then why can't you just be honest? Tell him specifically what emotional incompatibilities make a romantic relationship undesirable, then you won't have to mention anything about his appearance, thereby avoiding damaging his self-esteem.

1) Realise that I meant martyr FIGURATIVELY, not literally. Look up those definitions if you want.

2) I'm saying that about the doctor because it obviously impedes on having a family. I'm saying I'm not looking for marriage, you mentioned 20-30 years time. Not looking for that at the moment.

3) I'm not an attention seeker

4) I HAVE mentioned the emotional incompatibilities briefly in previous pages of this thread. I'm not going to go into depth. It makes me an attention seeker apparently :wink:

5) Why should I, and why do I have to justify to you and to him why I don't want to go out with him, otherwise I'm deemed as shallow? I'm just not compatible with him, in my eyes, and that's it. I shouldn't have to justify it or seem like a bitch.
...Why should I, and why do I have to justify to you and to him why I don't want to go out with him, otherwise I'm deemed as shallow? I'm just not compatible with him, in my eyes, and that's it. I shouldn't have to justify it or seem like a bitch.

Erm... why did you start this thread exactly? :confused: I thought you wanted a way to reject his romantic advances without destroying your friendship? I've given my opinion on how you can do this. Take it or leave it.
Reply 93
Erm... why did you start this thread exactly? :confused: I thought you wanted a way to reject his romantic advances without destroying your friendship? I've given my opinion on how you can do this. Take it or leave it.

I don't need to overexplain to him, that's all I'm saying. Also I already told him there's nothing I can see ever happening but he doesn't seem to be taking that even, so I need a way of making it clear. He hasn't asked since, but is seeming to be trying to up contact with me so I don't know what to do.

Sorry, I'm a bit confused as to the answer I actually want, I also wanted to know why people think it's shallow with this thread.
X?

Honestly, you're not being shallow. You can't go out with someone you're not attracted to. Make sure he knows completely that nothing is going to happen and see how things go. Either you can go on as platonic friends, or he was just trying to get in your pants all along and wont bother any more (hopefully the former!)
I don't need to overexplain to him, that's all I'm saying. Also I already told him there's nothing I can see ever happening but he doesn't seem to be taking that even, so I need a way of making it clear. He hasn't asked since, but is seeming to be trying to up contact with me so I don't know what to do.

Sorry, I'm a bit confused as to the answer I actually want, I also wanted to know why people think it's shallow with this thread.

Ok fair enough.

The issue of shallowness has been raised, in my opinion, because you put the focus on physical attraction rather than your emotional differences. I disagree that physical attraction is a part of emotional attraction. To me, and I think to many others, they are separate. Physical attraction is just chemical, bodies are just meat; an emotional and mental bond transcends mere animalistic urges and is thus more meaningful.

If you do not feel an emotional/mental bond with the guy in question and this is the reason you do not want a relationship with him nobody can justify calling you shallow. If, on the other hand, your rejection is based on his looks then I'm sorry, but this kind of does makes you shallow.
Reply 96
Ok fair enough.

The issue of shallowness has been raised, in my opinion, because you put the focus on physical attraction rather than your emotional differences. I disagree that physical attraction is a part of emotional attraction. To me, and I think to many others, they are separate. Physical attraction is just chemical, bodies are just meat; an emotional and mental bond transcends mere animalistic urges and is thus more meaningful.

If you do not feel an emotional/mental bond with the guy in question and this is the reason you do not want a relationship with him nobody can justify calling you shallow. If, on the other hand, your rejection is based on his looks then I'm sorry, but this kind of does makes you shallow.

Can I just ask how old you are? I'm thinking it does depend on age (not being patronising at all).

I still don't think wanting someone you're physically attracted to does mean you're shallow. If you can't look at your boyfriend/girlfriend and feel attracted to them, then you might feel uncomfortable in a sexual relationship with them. You might get along like a house on fire but there's something very intrinsic a lot of the time about physical attraction. Maybe you have the ability to turn that off but some people don't. If I based relationships purely on looks and wouldn't go out with someone unless they were the hottest guy on earth and didn't care about personality, and wanted him as a sort of trophy to show off, yeah that's shallow. But rejecting someone becuase you're not physically attracted to them isn't shallow. Relationships are based on a lot of things.

But no I'm NOT rejecting him on the sole basis he's not good looking. But I do think you're thinking about this in the wrong way and I think it's a bit narrow-minded and judgemental to call someone shallow if they think looks play some importance in relationships. If they're t he only thing they value, fair dos, they're shallow, but I value other things more, but still need some sort of vague physical attraction to them.
No idea. Thats lifes
Honestly some of the replies in this thread are absolutely ridiculous. Why should OP have to settle for someone she's not attracted too? Or ''give him a chance'' if she already knows she isn't attracted to him? :rolleyes: ... purely because he's a nice guy? That's not how it works ....

He's a nice guy, but she doesn't feel attracted to him/doesn't have that 'spark' with him, therefore he will only ever be her friend, despite how nice he might be. There has to be physical attraction. Otherwise as someone else said, it's glorified friendship!
Can I just ask how old you are? I'm thinking it does depend on age (not being patronising at all).

I still don't think wanting someone you're physically attracted to does mean you're shallow. If you can't look at your boyfriend/girlfriend and feel attracted to them, then you might feel uncomfortable in a sexual relationship with them. You might get along like a house on fire but there's something very intrinsic a lot of the time about physical attraction. Maybe you have the ability to turn that off but some people don't. If I based relationships purely on looks and wouldn't go out with someone unless they were the hottest guy on earth and didn't care about personality, and wanted him as a sort of trophy to show off, yeah that's shallow. But rejecting someone becuase you're not physically attracted to them isn't shallow. Relationships are based on a lot of things.

But no I'm NOT rejecting him on the sole basis he's not good looking. But I do think you're thinking about this in the wrong way and I think it's a bit narrow-minded and judgemental to call someone shallow if they think looks play some importance in relationships. If they're t he only thing they value, fair dos, they're shallow, but I value other things more, but still need some sort of vague physical attraction to them.

I'm 22.

Do I really need to point out the irony of you calling me "narrow-minded" and "judgemental" while currently telling me I'm thinking "in the wrong way" and that it's ok to judge and reject people based soley on their appearance?

The persona you describe in bold would constitute absolute shallowness (I sincerely hope there is nobody actually like this). You can still be shallow to a certain extent without taking it to this extreme. Rejecting somebody based on appearance is, by definition, shallow. But you are not doing this, so why are we still arguing about it?

I think we are just going to have to disagree, we clearly have very different perceptions of relationships.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending